Sling or Juvie

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I'm looking to get a juvi Chilean Flame for my first T. Can anyone tell me what other Ts are docile and as tolerant to human interaction? If I'm committed to the hobby would getting a sling be a bad idea? Also I know sling is what we refer to baby Ts as...Is it short for spiderling?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm looking to get a juvi Chilean Flame for my first T. Can anyone tell me what other Ts are docile and as tolerant to human interaction?
Tarantulas in the genera Grammostola, Euathlus, and Brachypelma are generally less defensive. (Most of us prefer scientific names, because there is no ambiguity about which tarantula is meant.) Obligatory disclaimer: "it's always possible to get an individual with a temperament that's unusual for the species."

That being said, most keepers recommend against handling tarantulas, because it provides no benefit to the tarantula but subjects the tarantula to unnecessary risk of escape and/or injury.

@EulersK has a nice video about some common beginner species. (He has other videos on the same channel with information about setting up enclosures, feeding, molting, etc.)

If I'm committed to the hobby would getting a sling be a bad idea? Also I know sling is what we refer to baby Ts as...Is it short for spiderling?
Sling care is not rocket science, but for your very first T, a juvenile (2") is usually a better choice, because it is hardier, and you don't have to be quite as patient about waiting for it to grow.

Edit: Yes, sling is short for spiderling.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Hey all :) I'm hoping to get my first T soon

I've done my research carefully and have decided on a Euathlus Sp Red "Chilean Flame"

I've heard they are the best beginner spider, due to their docile nature, although they are not great eaters.

I was also told Sp Red slings are harder to care for then Juvie's, is this true?

The reason I ask is it seems that most people sell only slings, and being based in England my options are limited.

Should I get a sling or try my luck for a Juvie down the line?
Plus if my only option is a sling any links on how to care for them is appreciated.

Thank you ~SS2017
I think a sling for E Sp. Red will work fine. I have been doing the T thing barely more than a half year and mine have survived and grown a little. You just need to have patience with them. I personally recommend that you get multiple T's if you want this species in the really small slings (1/4" here in the USA).

1) Get something different that is a faster grower and active eater along with the E. Sp. Red to make your patience more easy to handle.
2) Get two E. Sp. Red if possible (or at least over a time period) to up your odds that one will be a female. You don't want all of that wait only to find you don't get a female T to enjoy for a lot of years.

On my E. Sp. Red slings I make sure that half of the substrate is always moist and part of it isn't moist. I use a 5.5 oz deli cup (although it is over-sized) because it lets me control the moisture better. However, the experts of this forum will tell you that over-sizing the container WILL make it grow slower. I never give mine full size crickets. I break the cricket into pieces and place them in a few places in the container so that the meals will be smaller than the T and the T will find food when it wants it. Try to clean up leftovers regularly to prevent mold, etc.

Last edited:

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
I think a sling for E Sp. Red will work fine. I have been doing the T thing barely more than a half year and mine have survived and grown a little. You just need to have patience with them. I personally recommend that you get multiple T's if you want this species in the really small slings (1/4" here in the USA).

1) Get something different that is a faster grower and active eater along with the E. Sp. Red to make your patience more easy to handle.
2) Get two E. Sp. Red if possible (or at least over a time period) to up your odds that one will be a female. You don't want all of that wait only to find you don't get a female T to enjoy for a lot of years.

On my E. Sp. Red slings I make sure that half of the substrate is always moist and part of it isn't moist. I use a 5.5 oz deli cup (although it is over-sized) because it lets me control the moisture better. However, the experts of this forum will tell you that over-sizing the container WILL make it grow slower. I never give mine full size crickets. I break the cricket into pieces and place them in a few places in the container so that the meals will be smaller than the T and the T will find food when it wants it. Try to clean up leftovers regularly to prevent mold, etc.
the smallest you can buy is a 1cm (in the UK) as that's all I have found, I'm not too fussed about patience as I tend to have a lot of it, but what other Ts would you recommend for a beginner?

As for food I plan to use Bean weevils, which can be found here:
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/bean-weevil-culture-p-1682.html#prettyPhoto
Would they be okay?
And water I found micro dishes, which I could fill with a eye drop (I've seen how small the Sp Red sling is lol)

Haven't found a container that could comfortably house a 1cm, they are either too big or too small.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas in the genera Grammostola, Euathlus, and Brachypelma are generally less defensive. (Most of us prefer scientific names, because there is no ambiguity about which tarantula is meant.) Obligatory disclaimer: "it's always possible to get an individual with a temperament that's unusual for the species."

That being said, most keepers recommend against handling tarantulas, because it provides no benefit to the tarantula but subjects the tarantula to unnecessary risk of escape and/or injury.

@EulersK has a nice video about some common beginner species. (He has other videos on the same channel with information about setting up enclosures, feeding, molting, etc.)

Sling care is not rocket science, but for your very first T, a juvenile (2") is usually a better choice, because it is hardier, and you don't have to be quite as patient about waiting for it to grow.

Edit: Yes, sling is short for spiderling.
I couldn't pick out the R. Sp. Red out of the video. Any idea why he would leave it out?? I'm going to have to decide on one of the dwarf ones.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me what other Ts are docile and as tolerant to human interaction?
There are none that are as tolerant in the hobby, and widely available, when speaking about a genus or locality in a general manner. E sp Red and E sp Yellow are QUITE unique in this manner.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I couldn't pick out the R. Sp. Red out of the video. Any idea why he would leave it out?? I'm going to have to decide on one of the dwarf ones.
Because videos can only be so long ;) I'm also not a fan of their growth rate. I did suggest two dwarf species in there (N. incei and H. sp. "Columbia"), both of which grow very quickly. Members of Euathlus do not grow very quickly, which doesn't make them the best beginner sling in my opinion. Amazing as juveniles and adults, though.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
the smallest you can buy is a 1cm (in the UK) as that's all I have found, I'm not too fussed about patience as I tend to have a lot of it, but what other Ts would you recommend for a beginner?

Would they be okay?
And water I found micro dishes, which I could fill with a eye drop (I've seen how small the Sp Red sling is lol)

Haven't found a container that could comfortably house a 1cm, they are either too big or too small.
I am not familiar with the bean weevil. I don't think they are available here in the USA. Perhaps some of our members from your area can answer on that, but I suspect they will be fine if they are sold in a place that sells tarantulas. I make sure the prey is not a much bigger (in volume) than my sling. If it is larger, I break it into pieces if possible so the E. Sp. Red won't be intimidated by something way bigger than itself.

A lot of people use what is called a condiment cup for their T. Quite often restaurants will have them for free in the side item area. Fast food restaurants quite often provide them for sauces, ketchup, etc. They are somewhat clear. You can use a pin or needle to put some ventilation holes in them. Care must be taken in opening the lid to insure you don't upset the substrate. I don't have access to all of your options, but here are some examples of what you want to find in lower quantities / prices than I see on the links.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H1U8WFQ?psc=1&smid=A32Q8SIY4150IW

https://www.amazon.co.uk/150-Plasti...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SQB93134M1MC8K6X8KY1

The vendor that provides your T may be able to send you a small container with the T. It doesn't hurt to email them and ask if they have something available. Small shipping vials can be used, but require careful monitoring since they will dry out faster and are more susceptible to application of too much moisture and lack of ventilation.

Other T's to examine as alternative options
I gave you links at the same shop you provided for prey, but I am not sure what sizes they or other vendors will have that match what you wish to spend since I am from the states. None of these T's below will be as docile as the E. Sp. Red. But none of these species have ever gave me defensive postures either. I have problems where my adult female E. Sp. Red walks right out on my hand when I try to do maintenance. I do not handle my T's but I am forced to put her back in the container every time I open it. This doesn't happen with the slings as much. They are a little more shy, but don't move fast either.

grammostola pulchripes is the most docile and calm T I own other than E. Sp. Red. But these grow to be fairly big so make sure that isn't an issue.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/grammostola-pulcheripes-p-375.html#.WI_PVVMrJhE

Brachypelma smithi ranges between skittish and docile in most cases but is easy on the care. Make sure you read up on urticating hairs for this one. Some will use them as a defense more than others. Mine coats the substrate but has never tried to use them on me.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/brachypelma-smithi-p-2902.html#.WI_NzVMrJhE

Green bottle blue can be skittish, but mine were much less so once they got settled in the container.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/chromatopelma-cyaneopubescens-p-3050.html#.WI_OA1MrJhE

Cyclosternum pentalore is a little skittish, but work well as long as you give them a hide. My slings run into the hide when I open the lid, but is back out in the open space a short time later. My female stays out in the open and only moves if I do something to really startle her.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/cyclosternum-pentalore-p-3405.html#.WI_P5lMrJhE

Best of luck in finding what you want.

Last edited:

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
I am not familiar with the bean weevil. I don't think they are available here in the USA. Perhaps some of our members from your area can answer on that, but I suspect they will be fine if they are sold in a place that sells tarantulas. I make sure the prey is not a much bigger (in volume) than my sling. If it is larger, I break it into pieces if possible so the E. Sp. Red won't be intimidated by something way bigger than itself.

A lot of people use what is called a condiment cup for their T. Quite often restaurants will have them for free in the side item area. Fast food restaurants quite often provide them for sauces, ketchup, etc. They are somewhat clear. You can use a pin or needle to put some ventilation holes in them. Care must be taken in opening the lid to insure you don't upset the substrate. I don't have access to all of your options, but here are some examples of what you want to find in lower quantities / prices than I see on the links.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H1U8WFQ?psc=1&smid=A32Q8SIY4150IW

https://www.amazon.co.uk/150-Plasti...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SQB93134M1MC8K6X8KY1

The vendor that provides your T may be able to send you a small container with the T. It doesn't hurt to email them and ask if they have something available. Small shipping vials can be used, but require careful monitoring since they will dry out faster and are more susceptible to application of too much moisture and lack of ventilation.

Other T's to examine as alternative options
I gave you links at the same shop you provided for prey, but I am not sure what sizes they or other vendors will have that match what you wish to spend since I am from the states. None of these T's below will be as docile as the E. Sp. Red. But none of these species have ever gave me defensive postures either. I have problems where my adult female E. Sp. Red walks right out on my hand when I try to do maintenance. I do not handle my T's but I am forced to put her back in the container every time I open it. This doesn't happen with the slings as much. They are a little more shy, but don't move fast either.

grammostola pulchripes is the most docile and calm T I own other than E. Sp. Red. But these grow to be fairly big so make sure that isn't an issue.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/grammostola-pulcheripes-p-375.html#.WI_PVVMrJhE

Brachypelma smithi ranges between skittish and docile in most cases but is easy on the care. Make sure you read up on urticating hairs for this one. Some will use them as a defense more than others. Mine coats the substrate but has never tried to use them on me.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/brachypelma-smithi-p-2902.html#.WI_NzVMrJhE

Green bottle blue can be skittish, but mine were much less so once they got settled in the container.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/chromatopelma-cyaneopubescens-p-3050.html#.WI_OA1MrJhE

Cyclosternum pentalore is a little skittish, but work well as long as you give them a hide. My slings run into the hide when I open the lid, but is back out in the open space a short time later. My female stays out in the open and only moves if I do something to really startle her.
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/cyclosternum-pentalore-p-3405.html#.WI_P5lMrJhE

Best of luck in finding what you want.
Brilliant thank you so much for all your help :)

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Because videos can only be so long ;) I'm also not a fan of their growth rate. I did suggest two dwarf species in there (N. incei and H. sp. "Columbia"), both of which grow very quickly. Members of Euathlus do not grow very quickly, which doesn't make them the best beginner sling in my opinion. Amazing as juveniles and adults, though.
Yeah I read that sometime they burrow and disappear and I don't want that happening. I think I'll end up getting a juvi. Are you based in the US? If so what are some recommended breeders or vendors? I ordered a P. Regius from Ken the Bug Guy and was satisfied with the experience. I know there's a lady, I can't remember her name, who also sells through FB but I hear she uses USPS and I'd rather buy from someone using FedEx.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If so what are some recommended breeders or vendors? I ordered a P. Regius from Ken the Bug Guy and was satisfied with the experience. I know there's a lady, I can't remember her name, who also sells through FB but I hear she uses USPS and I'd rather buy from someone using FedEx.
I would check out the Review section and search the classifieds for the species that interest you. (Most online sellers will offer a live animal/arrival guarantee or LAG if you pay for overnight shipping, and temperatures are moderate during transit.)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah I read that sometime they burrow and disappear and I don't want that happening. I think I'll end up getting a juvi. Are you based in the US? If so what are some recommended breeders or vendors? I ordered a P. Regius from Ken the Bug Guy and was satisfied with the experience. I know there's a lady, I can't remember her name, who also sells through FB but I hear she uses USPS and I'd rather buy from someone using FedEx.
Well, almost all terrestrial slings burrow, so nothing new there. But I usually don't buy from vendors, you get a much better deal and experience buying through individuals. I tagged a few people on this post, all of which I've had great experiences with. Click on their name and then start a conversation if you want to reach out. Most are not career breeders but rather hobby breeders. Even better, in my opinion.

@cold blood, @Blue Jaye, @JoeRossi, @Inland Sea, @sdsnybny

I'm almost positive that @Blue Jaye has some Euathlus adults for sale, I'd start with her.

cold blood

Staff member
Would they be okay?

There was a keeper here not too long ago who fed bean weevils...If I recall, most of his slings ate them.

Just use a condiment cup, like you might put ketchup in at a fast food place. Theyre a perfect starter for a 1/2" sling. At an inch, you can give them more room, like this 16oz deli cup. This is a classic terrestrial set up for ts 1-almost 3".
There are none that are as tolerant in the hobby when speaking about a genus or locality in a general manner. E sp Red and E sp Yellow are QUITE unique in this manner.
None except for T, cyaneolum

I've never seen a calmer t. And if the op is in the UK, he should be able to find one.

I wish I had a better pic, they're gorgeous.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Well, almost all terrestrial slings burrow, so nothing new there. But I usually don't buy from vendors, you get a much better deal and experience buying through individuals. I tagged a few people on this post, all of which I've had great experiences with. Click on their name and then start a conversation if you want to reach out. Most are not career breeders but rather hobby breeders. Even better, in my opinion.

@cold blood, @Blue Jaye, @JoeRossi, @Inland Sea, @sdsnybny

I'm almost positive that @Blue Jaye has some Euathlus adults for sale, I'd start with her.
Thank you! I'm going to have to do some research and save up so I'm not sure how soon it will be but when I do make the plunge I'll use the info provided.

Is there a tarantula on the video with the same requirements as the Euathlus sp. Red/yellow?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What's the best enclosure for it and how much substrate is needed?
To make things easy, get a Kritter Katcher of appropriate size. Remember, dls stands for Diagonal Leg Span, and my videos go over that. Measure the distance from the front left leg to the back right leg for that measurement. That's how we determine a good cage size.

You want it to be roughly 3x dls long, 2x dls wide, and no more than 2x dls from the substrate to the lid. The remaining height of the cage will be filled with substrate. Here's a video on the matter.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was a keeper here not too long ago who fed bean weevils...If I recall, most of his slings ate them.

Just use a condiment cup, like you might put ketchup in at a fast food place. Theyre a perfect starter for a 1/2" sling. At an inch, you can give them more room, like this 16oz deli cup. This is a classic terrestrial set up for ts 1-almost 3".

None except for T, cyaneolum

I've never seen a calmer t. And if the op is in the UK, he should be able to find one.

I wish I had a better pic, they're gorgeous.

Ah, this is true. I haven't owned this species, but we've talked about it a lot. I amended my original statement to be more accurate now ;)

I may be getting one of these at some point if I get lucky.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
To make things easy, get a Kritter Katcher of appropriate size. Remember, dls stands for Diagonal Leg Span, and my videos go over that. Measure the distance from the front left leg to the back right leg for that measurement. That's how we determine a good cage size.

You want it to be roughly 3x dls long, 2x dls wide, and no more than 2x dls from the substrate to the lid. The remaining height of the cage will be filled with substrate. Here's a video on the matter.
That is extremely helpful, thank you! Is Euathlus sp. A Webber at all??

Last edited: