Sling molting? or Uh-oh?

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Found my tiny little P. irminia on its back yesterday morning, I am assuming just molting, however this morning, same story. I know its important not to touch or move a spider when they are molting, I figured it would be complete by now so Im sadly expecting a fatality.
Still going to give it another day or so.
How long to you guys wait before you have determined if its a death or a molt??

Thanks in advance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Small slings usually molt VERY quickly, sometimes 30 min or less. Your situation is unusual. I would keep waiting, as you have nothing to lose.

However, IME (based on no science mind you) after 2 days I'd have no hope at all. Actually after a day I wouldn't either, but this is based on my experience. Others may report longer molting in some examples, but it's not the norm.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Just got home from work checked on it, nothings changed :( I think its a gonner, dang it ! Poor little pea sized T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just got home from work checked on it, nothings changed :( I think its a gonner, dang it ! Poor little pea sized T.
At least it wasn't a 100$ sling, irminia are cheap and easy to obtain. It's never nice to lose a sling, I've had my share.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
At least it wasn't a 100$ sling, irminia are cheap and easy to obtain. It's never nice to lose a sling, I've had my share.
Yeah I know, the $20 down the drain isn't really a big concern, I just feel bad and guilty, questioning if I gave it the best possible care I could, more sad for the T than I am about being out a dead president portrait.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I know, the $20 down the drain isn't really a big concern, I just feel bad and guilty, questioning if I gave it the best possible care I could, more sad for the T than I am about being out a dead president portrait.
I'd be surprised if you didn't give it the best you could knowing your background. Man, some are just not "meant" to make it to adulthood.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd be surprised if you didn't give it the best you could knowing your background. Man, some are just not "meant" to make it to adulthood.
Absolutely - as is the case with so many arthropods, evolution has shown them that throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks is the best way to go about things. I'm sure we all have stories of slings from the same sac, kept exactly the same way, only to have one die for no apparent reason.

Don't beat yourself up, is what I'm saying.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Beautiful species! That sucks but I guess it just wasn't meant to be :(

Pretty aure you were talking care of it correctly and this is just one of those things.

I take it you will be getting another one of these stunners? That's if this was your only one.

The are too nice a T not to have in the collection. I am hoping for this next now that I got some space in the T room.

Last edited: