Sling Missing Entire Leg Help?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wasn't going to leave it that way, but I'm not sure what to do because I've never kept an arboreal before.
Well obtaining an animal that you don't know how to care for is poor judgement on your part. You should have asked the guy to hold onto it for you so you could do the proper research or refused the animal. Mistakes by the owner don't affect the owner that much if at all, but they do affect the animal, often resulting in injury or death, particularly with Avics.

You'll need to do a considerable amount of research or your Avic may simply die at some point.

The good news is there are plenty of people who can provide help if they choose.

Here's a link for you to read, if you have questions let me know AFTER you read what I wrote http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Others will chime in at some point I'm sure @cold blood @Venom1080 @louise f @14pokies @Trenor

@Trenor would you be so kind to upload or link this guy to the AMAC boxes I'm always yapping about please. Yours are pretty nice looking.

Alternatively @cold blood MIGHT have a pic of his deli cups for his Avics. Now that he's entered the 21st century of digital photography he might have pic from his spiffy new phone :cool:

Personally, I use both deli cups and AMAC boxes. Each are great for their own reasons. I would recommend you go with a deli cup for now.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is how I raise avic slings.. This setup is 16oz deli.. Litterally go the deli and ask for one they will give it to you for free or most .25 cents..
Add about an inch and a half to two inches of sub a water dish and chunk of cork bark.. With slings the sub is slightly moist..
I may have to add more ventilation but I start off with less and then see if condensation forms if it does I add more.. 20160924_205453.jpg

*edit*The only reaon the sling is on the bottom is because he was just introduced.. It should start webbing higher up in a few days or less..

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
you need ventilation around the sides. two or three rows around the upper side should be enough. you also need some plastic plant of some kind for the sling to web up. personally, i'd rehouse the spider into a 16oz deli cup with the changes i just mentioned. also, keep the substrate mainly dry with a bottle cap for a water dish. this genus is very sensitive to stuffy conditions.
Did I do ok?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I always try to add plants around the wood. It encourages webbing, and a happy avic is a well webbed one...I'm sure pokies14's enclosure will be unrecognizable in a month or so.

This is a couple well webbed avic enclosures, The smaller one is where I like to put them till about an inch, then they go to the 32oz...although IME they do fine in the 32 even when small...the smaller one just puts them in closer proximity to their prey.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did I do ok?
No.

You need to have holes along the walls of container. Remove the stones from water cap, they won't drown. Though crix will, so up to you on that. I never use stones.

Provide more cage furniture like leaves, if you don't have cork. I use cork mostly for slings as opposed to adults. They really enjoy cork.

See if you provide cork it gives them a hard surface to walk on. They aren't too fond of walking on soft surfaces that they perceive can't support their weight (just like us).

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah and I just noticed the lid...you don't want to use lids like that, in fact there should be very little if any venting on the lids, ventilation should be, as mentioned, concentrated around the sides.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
I'll take the mesh off the lid and fix it and take the rocks out. Thank you all for the help. The only reason I didn't plop down on the computer to research this spider right when I got home was because the dealer said, "He'll be fine in that enclosure for a while." So I was just going to do it the next day. I really do appreciate it even though I made a fool of myself. I definitely learned from my mistakes and I'll research some more. Thanks again!

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here you go. Some photos of both. If you have any questions about how they work let me know.

AMAC boxes:

Deli cups: (I set these up for some pokie slings but the idea is the same)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Here you go. Some photos of both. If you have any questions about how they work let me know.

AMAC boxes:

Deli cups: (I set these up for some pokie slings but the idea is the same)

Man look at you flexin...;-)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'll take the mesh off the lid and fix it and take the rocks out. Thank you all for the help. The only reason I didn't plop down on the computer to research this spider right when I got home was because the dealer said, "He'll be fine in that enclosure for a while." So I was just going to do it the next day. I really do appreciate it even though I made a fool of myself. I definitely learned from my mistakes and I'll research some more. Thanks again!
You didn't make yourself look like a fool.. You didn't know what to do.. You asked for advice and then followed it...

Personally I would say you look like a hobbysist that actually give a crap about his Ts.. That's very admirable if you ask me..

Your avic already looks much happier in that last pic.. The leg is going to grow back completely in a few molts BTW.. It's nothing to worry about...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Everyone started out the same way you did, not know anything and looking for information. Someone asking for help when learning something new is no fool. Good luck.