Sling housing

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 1.5" a.avic, who at the moment is in a 1.5 liter habitat. This is my first sling, and I've read they need much smaller enclosures, but I wasn't sure what else to use, and thought I'd see how he did in this enclosure. He seems very happy, he built a pretty little web and everything, but I've had him a few days and he hasn't eaten yet. I know that it's common for these guys to go a while without eating, but I'm worried the enclosure may be too big for him to find his prey.

I'd like to rehouse him, but he's very fiesty, he's extremely quick and likes to jump. I need something I can safely get him into (I handle my spiders as little as possible, and therefore, I'm not too good at it) and something that he's not going to come rushing out of when I try to feed him.

Any suggestions? Should I just leave him where he is for a few more days and see if he eats?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you have a spare salt shaker? I love using those for my small avics. Privides great ventilation, and its not to big so if you put some peat at the bottem and a stick or two for it to web and climb on the seem to love it.
Be carefull though some of the smaller avics can fit out those holes..

Or if you go to any common craft store they have cubes.... you can burn your own vent holes and house them in those, they have various sizes. Being as you have a 1.5 sling this might be the way to go. They are cheap to about 2.50.

Ill take a picture of mine when I get home later tonight.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ditto,

I've got a number of avics in these and they do well (so far). The tallest one comes apart at the middle which is convenient for getting at any mold issues or not disturbing the webbing for feeding. Feed holes can also be drilled to accept the foam corks people use for fruit fly cultures. Take care with drilling to not crack the plastic.

Or if you go to any common craft store they have cubes.... you can burn your own vent holes and house them in those, they have various sizes. Being as you have a 1.5 sling this might be the way to go. They are cheap to about 2.50.

Diva Satanica

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do any of you know which craft stores in particular carry the plastic cubes? I went to Michael's on the weekend and they didn't have them. The employee there said they hadn't carried them in quite some time.........

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also have a 1.5" A. Versi sling, and I was having the same problem. My solution (for now) was to put the sling on the ground and let a cricket go right in front of him. He has eaten 3 that way so far....

So, this weekend I think I will be putting him in a smaller cage too....at least until he gets a bit bigger.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do any of you know which craft stores in particular carry the plastic cubes? I went to Michael's on the weekend and they didn't have them. The employee there said they hadn't carried them in quite some time.........
Thats weird I get mine from Michaels myself. I guess if you really wanted one you can buy a 5 dollar beany baby and throw out the beany baby and use the case.

Hmm where else to look...... they are online but kinda spendy. Someone on here was selling them for a while. Do you have Craft warehouse out your way?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Take care with drilling to not crack the plastic.
I use a soldering gun myself. You just have to be quick about it cause the plastic melts quite fast. Ill work on posting a pic they come out very nice.

Diva Satanica

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats weird I get mine from Michaels myself. I guess if you really wanted one you can buy a 5 dollar beany baby and throw out the beany baby and use the case.

Hmm where else to look...... they are online but kinda spendy. Someone on here was selling them for a while. Do you have Craft warehouse out your way?
To be honest with you, I haven't looked into the other craft stores in the area. I know I had seen people posting about buying them at Michaels so I assumed the Michaels by me would have them.........blah. I will look around and hopefully find them somewhere.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In truth, any container would really do. You could use pill vials, delicups, jars, etc.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get mine from Michaels. I've seen them in two different Michaels stores. They are 'display case' type deals meant for baseball cards or the like.

~Fred

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have also seen some folks who use the terrariums meant for beta fish....you can buy those at Wal Mart, and they look to be the perfect size for a small arboreal. Just get a drill and make a bunch of holes in it