sling g. Rosea molt question?

energizer2010

Arachnopeon
hey guys, I have a sling grammostola rosea. It's my first and I am wondering how often do the slings molt? Any advice on this T would be much appreciated

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Check the stickies and try out the search function. This is certainly a well covered topic.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on a variety of things. Food, temperature, individual spider, stress level.. etc....

Grammastola grows slow btw.

energizer2010

Arachnopeon
I have looked through the stickies and searched everything I can on the boards and through google. I can only ever find results for juvenile and sub adult and afult roseas.. I will keep trying

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It depends on the temperature you keep it, and how big it is.
Maybe every month, or every two months.
You might get a heads up when you see your sling refusing food, or maybe making a burrow to molt in peace and quiet. However, some slings eat the day before, and molt right out in the open. :rolleyes:

If I am not sure if the sling might molt soon I usually offer pre-killed cricket. I sort of squish the crix head a little bit, so it's still alive but it won't eat my spider if it should desire to molt.

Keep an eye on it, and maybe it will give you some clues before it molts for you :)

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I got a second instar G Rosea 9/19/09, it molted 5/11/10, 6/25/10, 8/21/10
and in pre-molt now, they take a long time to grow, mine is kept normal temps, usually 70-80 in my house year round, feeding twice weekly. Hope this helps.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have had ours for a little over 3 years now and it has molted 4 times. It doesn't presently look premolt, so I anticipate at least a few more months before it begins that long period.

opiomylo

Arachnopeon
G.rosea is slow to grow.its take forever to seen mine molt.but base on ,my previous experience, when u expose ur specimen to mild heat and feed it regularly, it seen to molt faster and frequent.(that is 3 times a year lol)

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey guys, I have a sling grammostola rosea. It's my first and I am wondering how often do the slings molt? Any advice on this T would be much appreciated
If I may make a suggestion, if you are very careful about searching, then you should be equally careful to paint the entire picture to get the best feedback. There are over 200,000 G. rosea a year imported into the USA and sold at every pet store known, you can even get wild caught adults through fish wholesalers! What this means is that every single question known to mankind has been asked and answered regarding this species. Thus, if you have a special case, which you might, it's best to provide more information. Examples are:

How long have you owned it?
Roughly what size is it?
What substrate are you using?
How often do you feed, what do you feed, do you see it eat?
What is the average temperature of your home, if you're not adding heat (which you probably will never need to do)?
Anything other than not molting you've noticed?

Life long hobbyists can not provide you the information you want with just a single question with no background. It's sort of like calling a doctor and saying "I have a cough, what causes it?" With saying anything about other symptoms or exposures, the doc would be clueless too.

In any case, if the animal is eating, and being kept within "normal" parameters, you can expect it to molt every few months or every couple of years. Grammostola rosea can be forced to grow faster, but normally I tell people they're "glacial speed". I can take over 10 years for one to mature!

Unless you do see something else, I advise you to relax. They're tough animals, even when tiny.

Good luck.