Sling enclosure water channel

Danzog

Arachnosquire
Anyone on here have experience creating a channel down one side of sling enclosures to moisten lower substrate levels? I've read about this but the idea of possibly flooding a burrow worries me. Does it work better than just dampening the top lvl? Thanks for any input.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone on here have experience creating a channel down one side of sling enclosures to moisten lower substrate levels? I've read about this but the idea of possibly flooding a burrow worries me. Does it work better than just dampening the top lvl? Thanks for any input.
Ive done this with several setups. Worked fine for me.

If a method achieves needed goals that’s all that matters.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For slings, I use a tooth pick and poke a hole then add water. The best way I believe is to use a syringe.
You never actually add enough water to really "flood" the burrow so that has never been a concern for me.

In terms of "work", it depends how you view it.
Some swear by that method.
I'm more "I do it because other people tell me to do it" despite not really seeing any real diff even with true fossorials.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
For slings, I use a tooth pick and poke a hole then add water. The best way I believe is to use a syringe.
You never actually add enough water to really "flood" the burrow so that has never been a concern for me.

In terms of "work", it depends how you view it.
Some swear by that method.
I'm more "I do it because other people tell me to do it" despite not really seeing any real diff even with true fossorials.
I do the same thing with a bamboo shish-kabob skewer. Nice and long, very durable, completely inexpensive...works awesome.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes it works well! I used medicine droppers they give away at pharmacies and just add some to spots in enclosure, but it’s never enough to flood just enough to dampen substrate more.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You can hot glue a straw to the side of the enclosure. Works best to do it before adding substrate. Leave enough room from the bottom of the enclosure but deep enough into the substrate for it to soak into the substrate. Then all you have to do is pour water into the straw with a dropper or small funnel.

Let me add, they make smoothie straws that are a little bigger diameter for bigger enclosures.

Last edited:

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I always just sprayed down the side of the enclosure. IME if the sub get dry enough on top it will pull away from the side just enough that the water will move freely down into the lower levels. Works for me.