Sling Drowned

nolyroly

Arachnopeon
I am devastated. I woke up this morning to find my sling in his water dish.I gave it a tap but he didn’t move so I took the water dish out and moved him onto some dry paper towels but it was too late. Most of the information I read online said that you don’t have to worry about slings drowning but that was clearly wrong. I guess no more water dishes in the future, not until they’re a couple inches at least.

This was my first sling so it hurts a lot. Not sure what I could have done to prevent it from happening though. Has this happened to any of you?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
What’s the difference?
If I have a heart attack in a pool and die...I didn't drown.

That's just the last place he was when he passed. Coincidence.

You'd have to hold him under water completely for over 30 minutes to drown him.

His lungs are under his abdomen and slings float. They need to be submerged to drown. Its impossible without assistance.

Slings don't commit suicide.

Sorry for your loss.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I am devastated. I woke up this morning to find my sling in his water dish.I gave it a tap but he didn’t move so I took the water dish out and moved him onto some dry paper towels but it was too late. Most of the information I read online said that you don’t have to worry about slings drowning but that was clearly wrong. I guess no more water dishes in the future, not until they’re a couple inches at least.

This was my first sling so it hurts a lot. Not sure what I could have done to prevent it from happening though. Has this happened to any of you?
I am sorry for your loss.

The exoskeleton of spiders is water repellent. The spider happen to die in the water dish, but the spider didn’t drown.

Cause of death is not drowning...

Last edited:

nolyroly

Arachnopeon
I wonder what the real cause of death was then. I had him for a week and he never ate — I assumed he was in premolt. Not sure what else it could have been, the humidity in the enclosure was average and it had good ventilation. Such a shame. Wish I knew what went wrong so I can prevent it from happening in the future.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
What species was it? One possibility was it that the sling climbed high and then fell down somewhere near the water dish. I can't think of anything else honestly. Sorry for your loss.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your loss. Was the spider right-side-up or on it's back in the water dish? Was there possibly soap residue in the water dish? If there's soap, that breaks the water tension and a spider would be able to drown then. Not saying this is the case, just the only thing I can think of other than just sometimes spiders die due to non-obvious genetic issues.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
What part of remove some water did you don't understand? It died due to your negligence, you found your T several times flipped in the water dish so we gave you some advices, did you follow them? Did you remove some water? Did you increased the substrate moisture? Did you add some pebbles so the T couldn't drown as I told you?

Sorry but the no more water dishes is a very childish approach to this problem. If you found your T so many times flipped in your water dish, means that it was some kind of a problem with the enclosure condition. Too dry, too much heat, direct sun etc.

I hope you can learn something from this lost.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I am sorry for your loss.

The exoskeleton of spiders is water repellent. The spider happen to die in the water dish, but the spider didn’t drown.

Cause of death is not drowning...
Yes it is.

OP...if you've ever seen a spider discard its exuvia in the water dish you will see it floats!

What part of remove some water did you don't understand? It died due to your negligence, you found your T several times flipped in the water dish so we gave you some advices, did you follow them? Did you remove some water? Did you increased the substrate moisture? Did you add some pebbles so the T couldn't drown as I told you?

Sorry but the no more water dishes is a very childish approach to this problem. If you found your T so many times flipped in your water dish, means that it was some kind of a problem with the enclosure condition. Too dry, too much heat, direct sun etc.

It was obviously craving moisture then. It died in the water dish from dehydration would be my best GUESS.....but it is just that....a guess.

nolyroly

Arachnopeon

first of all don’t be rude. i joined this forum for support and advice, not to be yelled at. i’m not stupid, yes i read the responses to the other thread that i posted. the substrate was moist, he always had plenty of water, he was not in the sun or overheated. in the future i will put a pebble in the water dish for extra safety but everyone seems pretty sure that drowning was not the cause of death.

be nice or leave please!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
He found the T several times flipped in the water dish. That means that the T was missing or didn't need something. It could be starting to molt, and the water could enter by capilarity drowning the T.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
first of all don’t be rude. i joined this forum for support and advice, not to be yelled at. i’m not stupid, yes i read the responses to the other thread that i posted. the substrate was moist, he always had plenty of water, he was not in the sun or overheated. in the future i will put a pebble in the water dish for extra safety but everyone seems pretty sure that drowning was not the cause of death.

be nice or leave please!
Not trying to be rude or piggyback on dorifto' comments. This hobby has taught me a lot. One thing it has taught me, is to read the behavior of your tarantula as clue-ins on what your tarantula needs. If a tarantula is constantly hovering a water bowl...nevermind constantly in it. It means it is craving moisture. Slings do not have the waxy coating older specimens have. They can die from desiccation quite easily. I know you think it was moist enough. But likely not the case. Not for a sling. You live and you learn. Please don't take it hard. It's easier to know what happened. Once again....i didn't perform an autopsy. This is a good hunch.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Sorry I'm basque and we usually say the things as they are, sometimes that kind of sincerity can hurt.

We told you to do some changes, because it could end in a disgrace, and finally happened.

I hope you can learn something from this situation.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Sorry I'm basque and we usually say the things as they are, sometimes that kind of sincerity can hurt.

We told you to do some changes, because it could end in a disgrace, and finally happened.

I'm not defending him but I am....because I know him and he's a good guy...even his use of the word disgrace is not the way an American would use it. People here are from all over the world. We do all get upset when an animal dies though. We all share that passion. <3

nolyroly

Arachnopeon

saying things as they are is fine, just be accurate. people gave conflicting advice in the previous thread. don’t make it seem like this was a preventable accident caused by my negligence.

i moistened the substrate a bit more after i posted the last thread but i didn’t want to go overboard. other people have had success keeping h pulchripes slings in bone dry enclosures. if i added too much more water he could have died from stagnant/humid conditions.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You have to care your T regarding to her needs not caresheets or schedules, those usually end in disaster. Sorry, but your lost could have been avoided.

Your T was asking for more moisture, so don't be hesitant giving her more water next time. Stagnant humid problems usually are related to bad ventilation, not to the moisture per se.

cold blood

Staff member
if i added too much more water he could have died from stagnant/humid conditions.
Yes, too damp is generally more dangerous than a little too dry, especially for an arid species.

I keep just a small area of sub dampened for baboon slings.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Sorry you lost your first.
That's rough.
Sometimes animals have something wrong with them that is not readily apparent and it causes them to die in the very early stages of life.
Not every creature is created equal.. And this is one of the very few times I'll say that.

Hopefully you jump back on that horse. Best of luck:)