Sling death rate

Is Xenethis immanis over rated?

• Total voters

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
What percentage of slings do you find die in your care? I've found that in the first month of care, about 20% of my 1/8"-3/4" slings die. After that a death is unheard of. I'm assuming that this is due to shipping from one side of the country to another, and having a 1 hour ride back home. What has been your experiences with this, factoring in some obvious variables?

user 666

Arachnobaron
My biggest problem is DOAs. If they arrive alive they generally do fine.

Although I do have 4 slings that I don't know are alive, dead, or escaped - it's been months since I saw them last.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
My biggest problem is DOAs. If they arrive alive they generally do fine.

Although I do have 4 slings that I don't know are alive, dead, or escaped - it's been months since I saw them last.
I've given up on shipping since my last order had about ~15/~20 dead Ts in it. One even had its abdomen torn off.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Strange, I've only had one sling show up dead in all the years I've collected them.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I've given up on shipping since my last order had about ~15/~20 dead Ts in it. One even had its abdomen torn off.
I am not from the US and I have never ordered from them, but the general impression I get from Backwater reptiles is that you should not order from them ;)

Seriously now, how is it possible to receive so many DOAs? Was it during the hot/cold season? Were they not properly packed? Just curious.

cold blood

Staff member
Im baffled at the high number of DOAs some people have....i think people need to read reviews first....high DOA numbers = bad packing.

As for sling death percentages, id have to say 2-5%....dead slings are pretty rare...ive raised almost entire sacs out of the sling stage without a loss more than once. Most of my [few] deaths come from 2 or 3i Avics within weeks of being shipped.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Who were those DOA slings ordered from??? That is an insanely high number of deaths..

Edit: I went back and read your comments a second time. I might have initially misunderstood you. It seems they were not DOAs- at least not all of them? (Forgive me...it is late, and I am sleepy. Lol)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
There's really no reason you should be losing that many slings/ Ts.. I actually remember when I first joined you were much more active and alot of your posts were either about dead or dying Ts.. I allways thought something was off about it but I never said anything.

Since you brought it up though ;).. You have an unusually high mortality rate in your collection and IMO it has to be keeper error.. Maybe too many spiders to care for properly, poor temps or husbandry. I don't know.. I do know that it's very unusual..

I got back into Ts heavily about four years ago and have raised a little over a hundred slings to adult hood or sub adult hood before I sold or traded them and have lost two. One sub-adult male molted while shipping and more recently one of my females ruptured while molting..

Maybe hold off on buying any new Ts for a while untill you dial in your husbandry or thin your collection so that it's a little easier to keep up with..

Last edited:

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I buy most of my t's online. Delivery takes 5 days (monday-friday) never had a doa. And in one year I haven't lost any slings. But I am a nervous control freak. Checking on them every night before I go to bed. Making sure humidity is OK.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've only ever lost 2, a Y. diversipes sling that moulted the day after I received it and died 10 days later and a tiny C. versicolor sling that was sent to me by mistake (instead of a juvenile, they did send me the juvenile after I pointed it out) that dropped 2 legs and died 2 days later.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never had a doa arrive at my door and that's because I use reputable dealers/breeders.

As far as losing slings I've lost 4 a D diamantinensis sling that escaped and climbed through the vent of my G iheringi slings enclosure and it ended up getting eaten.
A G anthracina sling got stuck mid moult and I spent 3 hrs trying to release a 1.5" sling which I managed but unfortunately it died 48hrs later.
My 1" Eucratulas constrictus sling flipped and tried to moult but never made it pasted the flipping stage and finally my Acanthoscurria antillensis sling moulted and sadly never ate again, I tried everything waxworm,calciworm, locusts crickets roaches you name it and it just wasn't interested so sadly I came home from work one day and it was dead

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I've never had a doa before and so far only had two purchased slings die on me. 1 A. Sp. Peru purple that mysteriously died a few months after receiving and 1 H. Sp Colombia died because of my mistake :(

user 666

Arachnobaron
Stop ordering from those people. I've never had a death in transit so far, it sounds like they're not too experienced or don't care.
Now that I know my experience is not par for the course, I will do so.

The thing about my DOAs is that they all happened with exactly two vendors, both of which came highly recommended on this forum. With one vendor (Pet Center USA) I lost 4 and a half Ts out of an order of ten, and with the other vendor (@Inland Sea ) I lose a sling from every order.

I had already sworn off the one vendor, and the other has banned me because I complained about getting Ts half the promised size.

So I guess this problem has taken care of itself.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The thing about my DOAs is that they all happened with exactly two vendors, both of which came highly recommended on this forum. With one vendor (Pet Center USA) I lost 4 and a half Ts out of an order of ten, and with the other vendor (@Inland Sea ) I lose a sling from every order.

I had already sworn off the one vendor, and the other has banned me because I complained about getting Ts half the promised size.

So I guess this problem has taken care of itself.
I've used Inland Sea many times and never had a problem.. Even in the winter months.. The slings made it from Florida to New York no problem.. The only "problem" I have with them is they usually only have a small selection of Ts.
There prices are so low I don't know how you could even complain about getting slings that are a little smaller than what you ordered..

Paul at pet center is another story all together.. Not because of bad packing or DOAs..
Not sure who recommended him but do your research. I used to think he was a great seller/ guy myself..

user 666

Arachnobaron
I've used Inland Sea many times and never had a problem.. Even in the winter months.. The slings made it from Florida to New York no problem.. The only "problem" I have with them is they usually only have a small selection of Ts.
There prices are so low I don't know how you could even complain about getting slings that are a little smaller than what you ordered..

Paul at pet center is another story all together.. Not because of bad packing or DOAs..
Not sure who recommended him but do your research. I used to think he was a great seller/ guy myself..
All I did was note that the Ts were half the size. I didn't ask for a refund. All I wanted to accomplish was to let the vendor know that their products don't match the descriptions.