Sizing Question

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just wondering what the difference between a sling and a spiderling is. Also, what are the names of all of the developmental stages of a T. I'm asking because I just purchased a Smithi that's less than an inch and I don't know what to classify him as.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can see that your mood is drunk..:D

A Sling is not very different from a Spiderling actually it is the same.

( Spiderling - S*****ling = Sling)

and regarding the Stages there are:
a. Slings (.75cm - 3cm)
b. Juveniles (3cm - 7cm)
c. Sub Adult (7cm - ??)
d. Adult (ultimate male or breeding size)

thats to what i know.. hope this helps! :D

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sling is spiderling, its just a contraction we use. At <1, your smithi would be a sling (or spiderling if you wish). I personally go with sling->juvenile->sub-adult-> adult
The state I call juvenile is usually around 1.75-2", sub-adult is when the colors are showing up, and adult is when the colors are vibrant and the spider is 4" or more. That doesnt include dwarf or small species, of which I have none. Im sure they would not fit in that system.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh yeah.. :wall: I agree with snipes. i forgot there are also different sizes of tarantulas like the dwarf T's. but according to the chart that ive made for reference is based on the average T's.

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The terms spiderling, juvenile and subadult are no official terms but self invented by spider enthousiasts. The correct terminology uses the terms instar. A spider that molted two times is a instar 2. There's a really good article on the SIT-WIS page about this topic the only disadvantage is that it is in Dutch. I attached a picture with the stages. The source is the www.sit-wis.be......

Attachments

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I can see that your mood is drunk..:D

A Sling is not very different from a Spiderling actually it is the same.

( Spiderling - S*****ling = Sling)

and regarding the Stages there are:
a. Slings (.75cm - 3cm)
b. Juveniles (3cm - 7cm)
c. Sub Adult (7cm - ??)
d. Adult (ultimate male or breeding size)

thats to what i know.. hope this helps! :D

Not quite sure where you got these numbers?
And they might apply fine to a B. smithi..
The stages were better defined in the above post, but I had to offer the O.P. my input about these numbers.

Some species at 7 cm are still quite young ( relatively )(C. crawshayi)and others may never reach that legspan ( P. scrofa )

We like our own common terms and our home grown nick names... ( from the Hobby )
However I feel it contributes to the separation that the "Real" Entomologists and Arachnologists have toward the Hobby... just my 2 cents.

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
even a lot of professionals use the terms, but as you pointed out in your post it's difficult to say what bodysize belongs to what stage as there are big differences in sizes of tarantulas