Size (really it's that small?)

Sana

Arachnoprince
The hand thing made me a little curious. So I did a diagonal measurement as my hand, pinkie to thumb, as close as I could get to diagonal without dislocating my thumb, anyway and I could get pretty close. Eight inches.

Of course, this proves nothing except that I have too much time on my (eight inch) hands. I suppose I could use it as a rough estimate of measurement but it would do little to show the size of a tarantula unless I stated " For comparison, here is my hand next to my tarantula. My hand is 8" thumb-to pinkie. In this next picture you can see my 8 inch hand being fanged by what is now conclusively proven to be a 5 inch OBT. The next picture is of my 10 inch hand after being fanged.
Make sure to include a ruler or other suitable measuring device so we know the size of your hand is accurate.:giggle:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'll just use my other hand, which is also 8 inches. And include a ruler for that hand. that will prove that the other hand's measurement is accurate in comparison to the hand compared to the ruler, thus the spider's size is accurate.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 gator

Seriously? To show the size he used his hand?? That's actually funny:laugh: Calling all gullible people....sounds like a fishy way to prove a measurement. :liar:

A ruler would be the obvious choice....why would you do any thing else to show the size? If I recall from things posted here, if that's the one that bit him, wasn't it 9" then? :?
HaHa! Do carpenters use their hands to measure? Well maybe some of the hacks! LOL!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
-=}GA']['OR{=-;2351467 said:
HaHa! Do carpenters use their hands to measure? Well maybe some of the hacks! LOL!
well.. dont you know many a moons ago they used to measure in cubits.. which is the measurment from your middle fingers tip to your elbow... so not quite hand but also something not quite accurate enough but close XD

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Funny stuff.. Especially from people using measures based on various bodyparts:sarcasm:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Robc had a 10" P. ornata. He even had it filmed after its death next to his hand for comparison.
Robc said a lot of things, just like the time he said his new Arboreal was "easily" 9 inches and then straight after he got it out of the box he put a ruler next to it and quickly realized he was way off.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Robcs hands are pretty big. Ill try finding videos of him measuring Clover. I think he had one. By the way, Ive always wondered how people have 10" Ts and mine from the same species are barely 5... Like the stories of 4" BL L. striatipes and then I look at my 6-year-old girl who is barely 2", maybe 2 1/2 at best now (when I measured her she wasnt as fed as she is now).

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well.. dont you know many a moons ago they used to measure in cubits.. which is the measurment from your middle fingers tip to your elbow... so not quite hand but also something not quite accurate enough but close XD
Interesting...I'll have to ask the brother in law about this. He is a carpenter.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
-=}GA']['OR{=-;2351580 said:
Interesting...I'll have to ask the brother in law about this. He is a carpenter.
No guarentres he kniws about it with modern day carpenters but indeed. It was used maaaany thousands of yrs ago was even in the "good book" [emoji14] ...it may have even been used in egypt, according to some historan carpenters xD

Last edited:

Drache

Arachnosquire
-=}GA']['OR{=-;2351580 said:
He probably still uses "feet". Of course that measure has been standardized to 12 inches - an inch having subdivisions of halves, quarters, eighths, sixteenths, and so on - really. A sixteenth is still bigger than a millimeter, and lumber in particular comes in sizes that have nothing to do with their measurement (a 2x4 measures 1 3/8" x 3 3/8").
- just trying to entertain the Europeans here . . .

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
He probably still uses "feet". Of course that measure has been standardized to 12 inches - an inch having subdivisions of halves, quarters, eighths, sixteenths, and so on - really. A sixteenth is still bigger than a millimeter, and lumber in particular comes in sizes that have nothing to do with their measurement (a 2x4 measures 1 3/8" x 3 3/8").
Lol well idk bout all that on the wood. I only get from a certain lumber yard here (big brands leave the wood in rain, nothing like a 8x16 sheet on 2-4 cinderblocks high with 1 block under each corner so its almost a parachute for that last one lol) but our 2x4 is 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 for untreated. But indeed everything has been simplified but then again.. theres very few places that dont use metric system *rolls eyes*

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
True........

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
On a side note, I just love it when a T molts and you don't think it's grown much while it's all bunched up and recovering, and then it stretches and you go "Whoa!" :D
My A. genic did that to me! It was the first of my Ts to molt too, and I was like <i>aww it's not that much bigger</i> and then a day or two later just like WOAH WHAT HAPPENED