size for T housing???

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am thinking about rehousing my 5" adult male G. rosea to a smaller enclosure....he is currently living in a 10 gallon aquarium....he doesnt move around much so i figure he doesnt need quite that much space....but i dont want to put him in something so small that it almost seems cruel.....how much space does a T of a given size really need??.....are they territorial in the wild? (i know males probably aren't since they wander in search of mates but what about females?)....i saw some pet-pal/kritter-keeper type small enclosures at Wal-Mart today for less than $5...but i think it might be a little small for a 5" spider (maybe twice as long as his legspan).....but these might be good for the curlies when they get big enough to not be able to fit between the air vents......(also saw a little kit to turn the containers into a mini aquarium too!! how cute!!)
so does space required vary from species to species?
what is the general rule of thumb?

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got my rosea in a large Kitter Keeper. She seems happy. I use to have mine in a 10 gallon also but I just didn't see any point in it one day and down sized her. She gets the crickets quicker.:D ;) :)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that is another thing i was counting on......the prey items wont be able to escape as easily.....
which size critter keeper do you have??
i dont really want to get the biggest one...it looks like almost 3-5 gallon size....but if that is what is required for a 5" spider then so-be-it.......its still smaller than the 10 gallon aquarium.......im thinking about getting a hood, pump, and filter and making the aquarium into ....well.........an AQUARIUM!!!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've kept full sized Ts similar to your rosea in the Medium Kritter Keeper for their entire lives without a problem. As you observed, they just don't do anything with the extra room.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
i have full grown G rosea and B albopilosum in a plastic shoe box, and they are quite content (AFAIK).
I had the B albo in something alot larger, but she never used the room, and prey wasn't caught as fast either.
I have my L parahybana in a 10 gallon aquaruim, and even he (at 7" or so) doesn't use the entire thing.
It's just for looks, since he's in the living room.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 6 inch G Rosea is in a ten gallon and she walks around all over the place. I have rocks and other stuff for her walking enjoyment. She always explores it. When i had her in a smaller aquarium all she did was climb.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

My gemale rosea was just upgraded to a 10 gallon since she is possibly with-eggs, and her other container was very small. Plus she lost a leg like a good sport mating, so some pampering isnt out of line.

-V

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
i am thinking about rehousing my 5" adult male G. rosea to a smaller enclosure....he is currently living in a 10 gallon aquarium....he doesnt move around much so i figure he doesnt need quite that much space....but i dont want to put him in something so small that it almost seems cruel.....how much space does a T of a given size really need??.....are they territorial in the wild? (i know males probably aren't since they wander in search of mates but what about females?)....i saw some pet-pal/kritter-keeper type small enclosures at Wal-Mart today for less than $5...but i think it might be a little small for a 5" spider (maybe twice as long as his legspan).....but these might be good for the curlies when they get big enough to not be able to fit between the air vents......(also saw a little kit to turn the containers into a mini aquarium too!! how cute!!)
so does space required vary from species to species?
what is the general rule of thumb?
I have a 5" or so "red phase" g. rosea in a 20 long with two foamarium caves, she roams all over the thing.....I have a very large "normal phase" g. rosea in a ten gallon with one long foamarium cave, she does not move around that much, I have a few other adult female t's in ten gallon display enclosures and then the rest of the adult t's are in large size kritter keepers, all do well. I would consider medium kritter keepers just about the smallest sized enclosure IMHO to use for 5 or 6" t's.
Ed

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The largest enclosure I use is a 5.5 gallon aquarium.
For my 5" female Chilean Rose, I use the 3 gallon PetPal which is a little bigger than a 2.5 gallon aquarium. I had moved her into a 5.5 gallon, but she never used any of the extra space. It was also more bulky/heavy.
I am moving toward using all PetPals for my Ts and only have 4 aquariums still in use. These are for my Curly hair, Costa Rican Zebra, Chocolate Baboon, and Usambara. I do like the tanks for the more aggressive species as it allows me more room to maneuver water bowl and such without the fear of getting bit.