Size Chart for the Larger T's

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL. Man, people are so obsessed with this. The longer i'm involved in this hobby the less of a hoot I could give about which is the biggest and baddest. Interesting personality, behaviors, color phases and other such factors carry more weight for me than general hugeness. That's just me though.
I haven't even been in the hobby a month and I am already to that point.

AussieT

Arachnopeon
Yeah no one mentions the big Aussie T's. Phlogius Crassipes - 9"+ (We currently have a pic of a big girl on the Australian Invertebrate Forum and the Australian Tarantula Association Forums that is 230mm (or as long as a house brick). Selenotypus Plumipes - 8"+, Phlogius Strenuus - 9" and Phlogius sp. Goliath - 10" and these are the common sizes for the large mature females.

Last edited:

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I haven't even been in the hobby a month and I am already to that point.
I think you are seeing it the wrong way i guess...i dont care even if it has 5" or 8" but when i ordered my new Ts if this thread existed it would have been a lot more easier for me to choose... this thread is a good one to check if you are not one of the experts and since you probably have a couple of Ts and you know they wont pass the 5-6" mark(my case) ... i think you would like to have one of the bigger ones =)

just my 2cents

cheers,

//Tiago

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you are seeing it the wrong way i guess...i dont care even if it has 5" or 8" but when i ordered my new Ts if this thread existed it would have been a lot more easier for me to choose... this thread is a good one to check if you are not one of the experts and since you probably have a couple of Ts and you know they wont pass the 5-6" mark(my case) ... i think you would like to have one of the bigger ones =)

just my 2cents

cheers,

//Tiago
If not caring about size, but instead caring about how strong the venom is, how defensive it is, how it will be in the cage (a pet rock, or something that moves), and how colorful it is. If that is looking at it the wrong way, then sign me up. Because if that is the wrong way, then I refuse to look at it the right way.
I understand what this thread is for. I was simply agreeing with Paul that I couldn't care less about size. If size was important to me, I wouldn't have gotten 5 slings. I would have gotten 5 adults. If size was important to me, I would own a T.Blondi (which is one I never see myself owning).

DMBizeau

Arachnopeon
Guess I might have to update the list and do a new thread since I cant edit it.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If not caring about size, but instead caring about how strong the venom is, how defensive it is, how it will be in the cage (a pet rock, or something that moves), and how colorful it is. If that is looking at it the wrong way, then sign me up. Because if that is the wrong way, then I refuse to look at it the right way.
I understand what this thread is for. I was simply agreeing with Paul that I couldn't care less about size. If size was important to me, I wouldn't have gotten 5 slings. I would have gotten 5 adults. If size was important to me, I would own a T.Blondi (which is one I never see myself owning).
I totally get your point... size is not the only thing to admire in tarantulas but it seems that everyone takes it too seriously! I agree !

It is part of the hobby of "collecting" (this sounds harsh... sounds like we live in a pokemon game but i can't describe it better) tarantulas for someone that likes all the variety to have a big small medium tarantulas aswell as pontent venom, agressiveness, docileness (does this word exist?) and so on, so on..

cheers,
//Tiago

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To the original OP:

When you listed Lasiodora striatus, were you referring to Lasiodorides striatus (Peruvian orange stripe knee) ~7" or Lasiodora striatipes (Bahia grey birdeater) 7-8"?