Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Six eyed sand spider

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by BigJ999, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jbm150

jbm150 Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    What would be a good feeding schedule for this species? I have an Aphonopelma I feed once, maybe twice a month; something along those lines?

2. remainpositive

remainpositive Arachnosquire

What I do is once every other week for small instars and once a month for adults, if they looked kind of famished I toss one more in. Like they have stated before, their metabolism control is spectacular.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Germanicus

Germanicus Arachnopeon

Ive always thought these to be extremely interesting to watch come feeding time, same with recluse. They have a certain posture to them unlike a lot of other true spiders and it makes them very fascinating to keep, definitely not the savage monsters most make them out to be.

4. BigJ999

BigJ999 Arachnoknight

MS
    Mine stays buried just beneath the sand most of the time. Their body collects sand particals so they have a interesting look.

5. freedumbdclxvi

freedumbdclxvi Arachnoprince

My S terrosus female eats about once a month. She either takes the cricket fairly quickly, or she ignores it til I remove it the next day.

6. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

With an animal like that the problem would be in striking a balance. Just waking it out of it's torpor to process a bug shortens it's life a little offset by the food helping it live a little longer. It usually seems that with spiders they are better off left on the hungry side of things. But what that would be to a sand spider? A month? 3 months? 6?

What might help this dilemma is finding out what it's preferred natural food is and the availability on average from year to year.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  7. High Lord Dee

High Lord Dee Arachnosquire

I have mine on a once a week feeding schedule but feed it appropriately sized foods such as very small crickets, dubia nymphs, or silkworms. Occasionally, it does not eat the prey but I found that it was in pre-molt.

8. cbsuen

cbsuen Arachnopeon

you're not talking about a wind scorpion are you? or camel spider as the middle eastern variety is called.

9. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

I'd very much like to see a video of that.

10. I wouldn't buy one myself but I love looking at videos of them getting into the sand. :)

11. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

I was given a tiny sling a while back. How big do these get? I don't how to tell if they are mature or not. I guess the one I have has a leg span like that of a 50 cent coin. It basically has the leg span of an adult recluse, so does that mean it's prob an adult?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.