Six eyed sand spider

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What would be a good feeding schedule for this species? I have an Aphonopelma I feed once, maybe twice a month; something along those lines?

remainpositive

Arachnosquire
What would be a good feeding schedule for this species? I have an Aphonopelma I feed once, maybe twice a month; something along those lines?
What I do is once every other week for small instars and once a month for adults, if they looked kind of famished I toss one more in. Like they have stated before, their metabolism control is spectacular.

Germanicus

Arachnopeon
Ive always thought these to be extremely interesting to watch come feeding time, same with recluse. They have a certain posture to them unlike a lot of other true spiders and it makes them very fascinating to keep, definitely not the savage monsters most make them out to be.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Mine stays buried just beneath the sand most of the time. Their body collects sand particals so they have a interesting look.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
My S terrosus female eats about once a month. She either takes the cricket fairly quickly, or she ignores it til I remove it the next day.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
With an animal like that the problem would be in striking a balance. Just waking it out of it's torpor to process a bug shortens it's life a little offset by the food helping it live a little longer. It usually seems that with spiders they are better off left on the hungry side of things. But what that would be to a sand spider? A month? 3 months? 6?

What might help this dilemma is finding out what it's preferred natural food is and the availability on average from year to year.

Last edited:

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
I have mine on a once a week feeding schedule but feed it appropriately sized foods such as very small crickets, dubia nymphs, or silkworms. Occasionally, it does not eat the prey but I found that it was in pre-molt.

cbsuen

Arachnopeon
you're not talking about a wind scorpion are you? or camel spider as the middle eastern variety is called.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Ive always thought these to be extremely interesting to watch come feeding time, same with recluse. They have a certain posture to them unlike a lot of other true spiders and it makes them very fascinating to keep, definitely not the savage monsters most make them out to be.
I'd very much like to see a video of that.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't buy one myself but I love looking at videos of them getting into the sand. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was given a tiny sling a while back. How big do these get? I don't how to tell if they are mature or not. I guess the one I have has a leg span like that of a 50 cent coin. It basically has the leg span of an adult recluse, so does that mean it's prob an adult?

Philip Mccullagh

Arachnopeon
I'm all for debunking myths about this species and recluses. Both are highly venomous but they aren't aggressive spiders and are very shy. I have 3 recluses and they are very shy as well. But I won't say that either species is not capable of great harm but other spiders like Phonutria are far,far more dangerous given their temperament. Although I would like a Phonutria myself.
Hi I have got 8 six eyed sand spider that I hope to breed in the future as they aren’t mature yet for a YouTube video which also features Phoneutrias and sand spiders