Singapore Blue vs Indian Ornamental

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my opinion both species are incredibly beautiful and I'm having trouble deciding which one to get. Google doesn't answer every question especially when it comes to exotic animals. Between the 2 do females keep the same pretty coloration as the males or at least somewhat close to it? Aslo which of the 2 are more active? Thirdly I also wanted to know a little bit on lifespan for males and females of both species. Any advice or info on these gorgeous animals would be much appreciated before I make a purchase. However if anyone could tell me how to get ahole of a Gooty Saphire Ornamental or a few at that I would rather have one of those; only problem is never ever seen one for sale other that a full grown female for $500. Thanks in advance.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P metallica are around every once in a while, but they are over $150 and are sold out in about a day.

For both P. regalis and L violaceopes, the females are larger, longer-lived, and much more beautiful than the males. It's not as obvious with the P regalis, but L violaceopes males are not even blue, rather they are long, spindly and a tan color.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poecilotheria metallica is difficult to get ahold of, and pricey, as already mentioned. I'm not sure if robc is breeding these currently but you may want to drop him a PM and ask him. :)

In regards to Poecilotheria regalis vs. Lampropelma violaceopes, P. regalis males and females look very similar, with slight differences in striping. When a male matures, his appearance changes drastically to a dull brownish colour as shown in the image linked below.

http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/gallery/images/312.php

Lampropelma violaceopes females have the electric blue colouring you are familiar with (shown in the first image linked below). Males have a very slight bluish hue to them but will never show the vibrant blue colouration of the females. Mature males of this species become an olive green colour, as shown in the image linked below.

http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/gallery/images/302.php

I currently own 2 Lampropelma violaceopes specimens and several Poecilotheria regalis specimens (with 2 sacs due to hatch in the next few months).

Of course, females are longer lived and larger than their males counterparts, as they are with all species of tarantula.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For those who dont understand common names, what is a Singapore Blue:confused:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Having owned both, I found the regalis to be more active...and thus, more interesting. However, you will eventually have both! :)

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P metallica are around every once in a while, but they are over $150 and are sold out in about a day.

For both P. regalis and L violaceopes, the females are larger, longer-lived, and much more beautiful than the males. It's not as obvious with the P regalis, but L violaceopes males are not even blue, rather they are long, spindly and a tan color.
For a while there back in Early August/Late July there was like 3 major dealers who had these available. I know when I got mine in mid june I had 2 orders in to two different dealers. One didn't pan out exactly like I had planned (ended up getting a P. Formosa for P. Metallica price). But like a week after I had my purchases in, I seen two other dealers post them. So its getting a little better then that. Now it does seem pretty dry for them though.

On topic, I can't comment on L. Violaceopes, but my P. Regalis was my intro to Pokies and I may be a bit biased. But there fast growing and my P. Regalis is very active until its in premolt, then the dirt curtains go up and it disapears. I love the way she stalks her prey.

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lampropelma violaceopes. i own both; my singapore blue is a pig and the color is more blue then any T ive ever owned. but eventually youll probably own both of em.

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well then perhaps I'll buy a couple pf each. On top of my scorp colonies I wanted some tarantulas and a centipede or 2. Now only if I could find a Gooty Saphire Ornamental {D

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Full grown females are harder to get a hold of but you could always try placing a WTB on the for sale section. With the economy being the way it is you never know what might pop up. I find it interesting to see the how flexible prices on different Ts becomes with just one or two shipments of rare Ts from Europe rolling in. For a while I never thought I'd own a P. metallica and now one sits less then 2ft from me. I think we owe a big thanks to importers like James who help prices to drop on our dream Ts.

For the OP you may want to consider buying a P. metallica sling just for the fact that pokies have such a quick growth rate and tend to have a shorter life span. I picked up a 1.5" P. regalis about 4 months ago if that and it is all ready at 3.5". Possible male? I think so! ;)

p.s. there are still several slings for sale on our boards but they seem to be poping up less frequently as time slips by. Not like the rush of stock we had this summer that is for sure.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont forget about us males over 20. I was thinking of setting up an S. calceatumfree range section on my porch. You would have to pass through it to get to the front door. Who needs watch dogs. ;P

For the OP I forgot the last time I posted that I wanted to mention that between Singapore Blue and Indian Ornamental the pokies tend to die less often from unknown reasons. There was a whole thread on here before about Singapore Blue just up and dieing on people and I know its happened to me before. So that may be a vote in the direction of Indian Ornamental.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL

Every male under 20 would want a couple dozen.
Nice! Overkill though. Just knowing I have spiders at all keeps my girlfriend's mother away. ;)

Dont forget about us males over 20. I was thinking of setting up an S. calceatumfree range section on my porch. You would have to pass through it to get to the front door. Who needs watch dogs. ;P
I've heard of this too but am yet to experience it. Must be lucky so far. :)

For the OP I forgot the last time I posted that I wanted to mention that between Singapore Blue and Indian Ornamental the pokies tend to die less often from unknown reasons. There was a whole thread on here before about Singapore Blue just up and dieing on people and I know its happened to me before. So that may be a vote in the direction of Indian Ornamental.