Singapore blue spiderling

BriThornberry

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

this is my first time posting on here and I am looking for helpful, respectful advice on a Singapore blue spiderling. I just received it last week and thus far it is thriving. Mind you I am a new T mom and was gifted this spider. I already understand that this spider is ideal for more experienced T owners, and has quite particular husbandry, so I am going to do my best to care for it. I am a vet tech for over 6 years and while that doesn’t make me an ideal candidate for taking care of a T, I know with the right guidance and information I will be able to give this blue a good life...but I digress. a little info on my T. it is about 1.2 inches long (approx 4cm) so it’s tiny. right now it came in a 2.5x2.5x 5 clear exoterrium set up. I currently have fake leaves, about 2inches of some eco earth on the bottom and a small piece of moss I picked from outside. I have a tiny water dish in there and I coat the leaves with water using a dropper to help with keeping the environment humid. the room I have it in is quiet and set to around 72-76 degrees. I have fed it once since receiving it (a red roach). It fed well and consumed 90% of the critter.
I’m looking for advice to see if I am doing everything correctly. should I maybe get a bigger enclosure for it? possibly a 4x4x8? this One just seems small. Also how often should I feed it? How often to keep it moist? I can’t stick my hand in there and feel the eco earth to see if it’s the right dampness (not soggy) and I’m not sure if there is too much in there as far as leaves for it to crawl around.
I guess Im just worried and I wanna make sure it’s happy and not stressed... when I check on her during the day she moves a bit and I don’t know if she should be asleep and I’m stressing it out or not.
Sorry for the long post I just wanted to be very thorough with my information.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

-bri

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Hello there, welcome to Arachnoboards.

So it is, Omothymus violaceopes.

it is about 1.2 inches long (approx 4cm) so it’s tiny. right now it came in a 2.5x2.5x 5 clear exoterrium set up.
Since it is an arboreal tarantula, you want to keep it in the enclosure with more height than the width, and you probably want to rehouse it probably one or two molts later for it is fast grower.

1. Enclosure with more height than width
2. Vertical cork bark
3. About 1/4 full substrate (coco fiber, topsoil)

Yes, what’s in the below example picture is not a tarantula, but you will get the basic idea of set up.

D43B82E7-FD13-47C7-ACE9-1F5BDF2A2CDB.jpeg

Also how often should I feed it? How often to keep it moist? I can’t stick my hand in there and feel the eco earth to see if it’s the right dampness (not soggy) and I’m not sure if there is too much in there as far as leaves for it to crawl around.
I feed my slings often, but once in every week or in every other week might be good, but feeding schedule is a bit meaningless anyway. You want to watch it’s abdomen size, and decide.

You can either provide it a water dish (best way), or if not dampen a little it’s substrate when it’s dry.

Last edited:

BriThornberry

Arachnopeon
Thank you! and thanks for the advice and picture (what kind of spider is that btw.. very good camouflage)., very helpful. it makes my set up look overly packed...maybe I need to get rid of some things? The fake leaves I have in there are tall. i have a piece of bark in their currently but she uses it to hind under/behind. I also have a small water dish that I fill using a dropper and a small piece of moss. I don't want it to be too humid in there because of the chances of mold but I don't know how to tell humidity levels... I think I will stick to once weekly, she has quite the belly right now from her last feeding, and I made sure to remove the remaining pieces of roach today as to avoid mold.

cold blood

Staff member
They really dont need height until they are adults, even then, I wouldn't see it as a real requirement.

They can grow fast, tend to be very good eaters, and can be reclusive...although I see slings pretty regularly, especially at night. Although classified as arboreal, they tend to live in burrows, at least in captivity.

They are a tropical species, and are one of the few species that should be kept with damp substrate pretty much all the time....now a day or two dry with a healthy sling isnt going to harm it, but its best just to keep things damp most of the time. An easy way to keep things damp longer, is to just use deeper substrate. Once you get the deepest parts of the sub damp, it retains moisture for longer periods, and this is the critical part that needs to be damp.

That said, its not like you need 6" of sub...they don't dig deep burrows IME, I see mostly hollowed out depressions with a cavern at the far back.

Be sure to lean your wood in a manner that the t can make a home beneath the base, and surround that area with a few plants.

Ventilation is critical, but it really is a fine line, as too much dries things out too quickly...not enough causes condensation and mold outbreaks.

Your sling will live and grow fine in a small enclosure, but they also do fine in much larger enclosures as well. Smaller enclosures make for fast hunts, easy monitoring of the t....but they also require more daily attention as they will dry out quicker. But neither is a wrong way to house them IME.

Slings put on a lot of leg growth per molt.....and its a species that if male, will reveal its self instantly upon maturity as MMs are a light green and super leggy.

BriThornberry

Arachnopeon
They really dont need height until they are adults, even then, I wouldn't see it as a real requirement.

They can grow fast, tend to be very good eaters, and can be reclusive...although I see slings pretty regularly, especially at night. Although classified as arboreal, they tend to live in burrows, at least in captivity.

They are a tropical species, and are one of the few species that should be kept with damp substrate pretty much all the time....not a day or two dry with a healthy sling isnt going to harm it, but its best just to keep things damp most of the time. An easy way to keep things damp longer, is to just use deeper substrate. Once you get the deepest parts of the sub damp, it retains moisture for longer periods, and this is the critical part that needs to be damp.

That said, its not like you need 6" of sub...they don't dig deep burrows IME, I see mostly hollowed out depressions with a cavern at the far back.

Be sure to lean your wood in a manner that the t can make a home beneath the base, and surround that area with a few plants.

Ventilation is critical, but it really is a fine line, as too much dries things out too quickly...not enough causes condensation and mold outbreaks.

Your sling will live and grow fine in a small enclosure, but they also do fine in much larger enclosures as well. Smaller enclosures make for fast hunts, easy monitoring of the t....but they also require more daily attention as they will dry out quicker. But neither is a wrong way to house them IME.

Slings put on a lot of leg growth per molt.....and its a species that if male, will reveal its self instantly upon maturity as MMs are a light green and super leggy.
Thank you for the information. I did read that they grow fast. and are also fast moving. i did notice some condensation today right above the substrate, so now i am concerned there is not enough ventilation and I will have a mold outbreak... even though the container came with premade holes....Should I remove the water dish? maybe that is making it too damp in there?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
They really dont need height until they are adults.
Oh? Interesting.

They are a tropical species, and are one of the few species that should be kept with damp substrate pretty much all the time....not a day or two dry with a healthy sling isnt going to harm it, but its best just to keep things damp most of the time.
Understood!

cold blood

Staff member
. i did notice some condensation today right above the substrate, so now i am concerned there is not enough ventilation
Just pop a couple holes (or a couple more) on the lid and dont add additional water to the sub for a while.

and I will have a mold outbreak.
Just pick it out, small outbreaks are annoying, but really can just be picked out...its not harmful.
Should I remove the water dish?
Nah.

You can be worried about humidity, its not like it needs anything specific...humidity isnt a term you should even use with tarantulas....its really all about substrate dampness........if you have too much ventilation, you just end up dampening the sub more often, not enough and you hardly need to add much water at all.

BriThornberry

Arachnopeon
Just pop a couple holes (or a couple more) on the lid and dont add additional water to the sub for a while.

Just pick it out, small outbreaks are annoying, but really can just be picked out...its not harmful.

Nah.

You can be worried about humidity, its not like it needs anything specific...humidity isnt a term you should even use with tarantulas....its really all about substrate dampness........if you have too much ventilation, you just end up dampening the sub more often, not enough and you hardly need to add much water at all.
Ahh ok, I understand, thank you for the advice! I shall add another whole or two on the lid, I think that will help like you said.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh? Interesting.

Understood!
Keep in mind, I edited a spelling error in one of those sentences that had a critical change in meaning.....it should say, now, a couple days of drying out isn't going to harm a healthy sling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

They are a tropical species, and are one of the few species that should be kept with damp substrate pretty much all the time....now a day or two dry with a healthy sling isnt going to harm it, but its best just to keep things damp most of the time. An easy way to keep things damp longer, is to just use deeper substrate. Once you get the deepest parts of the sub damp, it retains moisture for longer periods, and this is the critical part that needs to be damp.

It’s like Poec has taken possession of your mind with this answer ;)

All your thoughts are the same as my experience with them.

It’s one of the few species I’ve kept that surprised me with its size gains even after what Rick told me.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Saw mine 3-4x before it's last molt and then it popped out the sweetest looking purple blue with red orange hairs. Most beautiful spider for sure. But now she's 5.5"....... Time for her final home.

I keep a damp deep substrate with lots of springtails and a water dish. Hearty eater to say the least. I got her at maybe 2". It's been maybe 6 months.

Still digging. Her final enclosure will be on the larger side in order to offer both a deep substrate and climbing features.

I'd plan for a rehouse soon and at that size, worry more about deep substrate than items to climb on. That will become more important later.

20210401_194452.jpg Her with a mouthfull of dirt, busy excavating. It was pure luck to catch her out. She is molt sex but then her color gives it away too

BriThornberry

Arachnopeon
It’s like Poec has taken possession of your mind with this answer ;)

All your thoughts are the same as my experience with them.

It’s one of the few species I’ve kept that surprised me with its size gains even after what Rick told me.
ok awesome! I'm glad to find consistency with the responses. I have tried to do my research as well but its always nice to here from experience.

Saw mine 3-4x before it's last molt and then it popped out the sweetest looking purple blue with red orange hairs. Most beautiful spider for sure. But now she's 5.5"....... Time for her final home.

I keep a damp deep substrate with lots of springtails and a water dish. Hearty eater to say the least. I got her at maybe 2". It's been maybe 6 months.

Still digging. Her final enclosure will be on the larger side in order to offer both a deep substrate and climbing features.

I'd plan for a rehouse soon and at that size, worry more about deep substrate than items to climb on. That will become more important later.

View attachment 381401 Her with a mouthfull of dirt, busy excavating. It was pure luck to catch her out. She is molt sex but then her color gives it away too
I really don't know much about the molting process, how will I know that she is going to molt? and is there a general time frame for how long it occurs? omg so she went from 2" to 5.5" in 6 months! I better get a new home now...thanks for your feedback.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
You may not know since it's so reclusive. If the food items stop disappearing, take the left overs out and try again later....in a few days to a week. You may also be able to look in to it's burrow depending on your enclosure. Mine started it's dug out next to the glass. If that booty is super big and taught, stop feeding and see what happens. It may darken up also which is a sign or pre-molt.
I should have paid more attention to the molt sizes as she always kicked them out. I would say that there was 3-4 molts before it hit the size it is now.

BriThornberry

Arachnopeon
You may not know since it's so reclusive. If the food items stop disappearing, take the left overs out and try again later....in a few days to a week. You may also be able to look in to it's burrow depending on your enclosure. Mine started it's dug out next to the glass. If that booty is super big and taught, stop feeding and see what happens. It may darken up also which is a sign or pre-molt.
I should have paid more attention to the molt sizes as she always kicked them out. I would say that there was 3-4 molts before it hit the size it is now.
Thank you so much for the information it really does help!