Silliest T advice you've ever heard at a pet store

thirtysixwood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I'm looking at this Nhandu Chromatus:

Lady asks if I need some help?

I said "What kind of Tarantula is that?"

She said "Its a Mexican Red Knee" then pointed to the label...

I said "yes I see that but thats not a Red Knee, its a N. Chromatus or Brazilian Red and white striped...."

as I was interupted she said,

"oh, its legs will get redder as it gets older..." :wall:

It was already about 3.5in... and now its about 4in since I saw it last, with a nice sticker price of $125.00... aint that nice... lol lol

Anyway the lady proceeded to tell me that the guy who buys them is the manager and he knows what hes doing, and the person he gets them from said it was a red knee so theres no way its not...

Stamper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"So, were pretty sure that she might be hungry bc everytime we put our hands in there to get out the water dish she raises up and sticks her little fangs out":wall:

oh and the "water dish" was a petri dish wish a sponge in it:embarrassed:

PsychoChaser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Male Ts are worth more than females because females are more common in petshops." Shop owner continues to spray water directly on Ts to "flush them out".

Necrobyheart

Arachnopeon
I only go to pet stores if i cant get my daily dose of stupid somewhere else

The all time stupidist thing i have ever heard

"When they are about to molt throw some crickets in there they will help chew off the old skin"--pet store manager Rocky Mount NC Petco--
first time, I have ever heard of stupidity, and honesty at a pet shop... unfortunately they left out where the poor T becomes they prey. :(

Shogun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The petstore near me is horrible for many, many reasons but one time..

I saw they had a mature male rosehair (kept in a 5" deli cup btw) and told him that mature males dont live too long. He tells me that is a myth and it will live another 20 years!

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, the uneducated workers at pet stores do seem to be quite sure of themselves. It's scary how authoritative they can be when dispensing terrible ideas.

This place my girlfriend and I go to to pick up feeder crickets advised me this, trying to get me to buy a 10 gallon tank for a small tarantula: "If you were a tarantula, wouldn't you like to have more space to roam around?" We told him how they actually feel more secure in smaller environments, and he seemed to take note of it.

They're actually quite a decent store because they take advice from the tarantula hobbyists around here. I think we were dealing with one of the uninformed workers.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One problem that pet store people face is that they can't know how much you know. Next is that they by default have to play experts so that they don't put the shops reputation on the line (for good or bad).

I respect a place a lot more and the staff if they are willing to admit they don't know the answer to you particular question and either offer to find out from a reputable source or point you in the right direction instead of just guessing or making something up.
QUOTE]

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hahahahaha thats friging awsome!!!! the funnist thing i have heard in a long long time :D :D :D

i havent had any bad advice for nothing cos i dont bother asking incase i hear what every one else hears, "bullshit". but there are so very very very over priced! B.Smithi spiderling, very very very small.....£55 :eek: P.Regalis spiderling.....£74 :eek: who on there right mind would pay that!

And my personal favorite g.rosea and a. avic $26.99

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I am suprised and shocked at the same time when I read this thread. :eek:
We do not have pets shops on every corner here, and it's not like I have been to hundreds of them, but they're not that bad. There are even some that don't keep any tarantulas, you go in, tell what species you need, they phone their dealer, and if they can get it, they will bring it to you - only it takes about 1 week. Others are mostly selling slings. Of course the bigger ones' enclosures suck, but that's nothing new.

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:eek: the siliest advice i heard was hang the aquarium so no ants can reach her:eek:

what a bunch of lunatics

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was looking at a few Pink Toe T's and the girl grabed it out and droped it not once but TWO times (like 4-5') and it hit with the sickest thud on the conc floor. She told me "oh they're like cats and know how to brace themselves beofre they fall so they are ok"

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They petstore I bought my first T from told me to get a very HUGE tank because T's need a lot of room and if they don't walk around their legs can get jacked up. They also said for me to put in all the crickets at once.

jrmrbcax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Went to go check out another pet shop close to mine in Bradenton and they had a 3'' smithi there marked as a stripe knee (take it I have a stripe knee at my shop and it looked nothing like it) for $30. I couldn't pass that up! I later told them after I bought it that they have been had! lmfao

Last edited:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A pet store told me that an adult rosie they were selling has to eat 3-4 a day.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went into a hole in the wall petstore and they had a E.Murinus in a KK with no substrate and a moldy sponge in a dirty water dish. The T was in a death curl. I opened it up and blew lightly on it...nothing. I said:

"It's dead" Her reply was " No it's probably sleeping"
I give her one of these :rolleyes: and said
"No, It's dead" Her second reply was "Oh, it's probably molting"
I pick it up by it's leg and dangled it in her face and said "It's dead"
she actually said "umm, I don't know, that one didn't move very much"

This was my expression :eek: I guess a smarter person would have been tipped off by the fact that she was about 250 lbs woman wearing a slimfast tee-shirt. :confused:

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I bought my very first tarantula more than a decade ago. It was a chilean rose. The seller advised me to put pine shavings as substrate and keep the tank dry.
As for food, he said I can just catch cockroaches from the local sewer.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lol pages of this stuff. Well The one real negative encouter iv had was the clerk telling me i needed to heavily mist the container 10+ times a day. and it woudl best if i bought the $150 misting machine as it would make it eaiser. I wanted to smack him. ALSO he told me i needed 2 buy a big heat bulb 2 give the t nutrients. To top it off "I own over 500 Fish so i know what im talking about) lulz!!!!!!!

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought my very first tarantula more than a decade ago. It was a chilean rose. The seller advised me to put pine shavings as substrate and keep the tank dry.
As for food, he said I can just catch cockroaches from the local sewer.
:eek: How long did it live?

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
...they love to swin.
Oh god I'm sure all T's love to swim like those poor "Deadly but not deadly" T's that were getting sucked away by the flooding in TX. My cobalt I picked up in Welland (Niagara falls area) had an empty water dish with a sponge because "The scary thing attacked me when I gave it water"...which I'm sure some people have run into. It was on bark chips with not even a hide no wonder it attacked you lady lol.

As a side-note the weird thing about that area is that Inverts are illegal in St Catherines and possibly Niagara falls but theyre only about 15 mins away from Welland. And the F'ing girl in the pet store in the Falls told me that they couldn't keep T's in the area because they would risk populating the area:? Which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard because no tarantula can live through a Canadian winter especially in the Falls lol. Unless they really do like swimming and ice skating in the winter.

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
:eek: How long did it live?
Believe it or not, I had it for around 4 months before I sold him/her. He/she covered the wood shavings with his/her own web. I fed him/her a cockroach a week. There was no forums about tarantulas during that time (1994) -- well, none that i know of, and during that time, literature about tarantulas here in the Philippines are very rare. :(