Signs of Hunger?

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
So I was wondering what signs of hunger I should look for with my T? She's an A Chalcodes and I read that one sign is having her legs outside her hide, and that seems to be one, but I was wondering if there are any more signs I'm missing. Are there any other clues she could be hungry and such?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The whole 'legs outside of the hide' is a hunting technique for burrowers and arboreals - it doesn't apply to terrestrials. Unfortunately, there aren't really any hunting techniques I've noticed in NW terrestrials; just feed them every now and then and you'll be fine.

Not sure how large your specimen is, but this is a species that you have to ration food to. Unless they're in premolt, they will eat absolutely nonstop. Note that their premolt lasts forever and a day, so don't be surprised by that either.

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
The whole 'legs outside of the hide' is a hunting technique for burrowers and arboreals - it doesn't apply to terrestrials. Unfortunately, there aren't really any hunting techniques I've noticed in NW terrestrials; just feed them every now and then and you'll be fine.

Not sure how large your specimen is, but this is a species that you have to ration food to. Unless they're in premolt, they will eat absolutely nonstop. Note that their premolt lasts forever and a day, so don't be surprised by that either.
Well I got her from Ken, and she's a 3 inch T. And Ah, so just every now and then, drop some food in, and if she eats, she eats, and if she doesn't just pull it out. Correct?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well I got her from Ken, and she's a 3 inch T. And Ah, so just every now and then, drop some food in, and if she eats, she eats, and if she doesn't just pull it out. Correct?
You got it. For a specimen that size, I'd feed a big meal about once per month. My feeding is a bit strange since I have roaches, which are large - you could probably get away with one cricket per week. This is an arid species, remember. They don't need a lot of food. As you said, if it refuses, then it's almost certainly in premolt.

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
You got it. For a specimen that size, I'd feed a big meal about once per month. My feeding is a bit strange since I have roaches, which are large - you could probably get away with one cricket per week. This is an arid species, remember. They don't need a lot of food. As you said, if it refuses, then it's almost certainly in premolt.
Or just not hungry. I saw her legs out, and dropped 3 meal worms in, and she took the first 2, and ate most of the third, and is slowly finishing it. So it seems the legs out of the hide is one sign for this one.

Estein

Arachnoknight
With my G. porteri, I've seen her actually move her body more and more outside her hide when she's hungry--first part of her legs, then entire legs, until eventually the entire catapace is visible. Once she eats, she'll go inside again. Rinse and repeat. Lately she's been doing something similar, but starting in her new favorite corner instead of her hide.

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
With my G. porteri, I've seen her actually move her body more and more outside her hide when she's hungry--first part of her legs, then entire legs, until eventually the entire catapace is visible. Once she eats, she'll go inside again. Rinse and repeat. Lately she's been doing something similar, but starting in her new favorite corner instead of her hide.
My A. Chalcodes does the same. She'll stick her front legs out of her hide, move out a bit more, then she'll roam her enclosure, then back inside her hide with her legs out.

Estein

Arachnoknight
My A. Chalcodes does the same. She'll stick her front legs out of her hide, move out a bit more, then she'll roam her enclosure, then back inside her hide with her legs out.
I'd be interested to see how many people have seen this behavior in their terrestrials, especially since it seems it hasn't happened enough to be thought of as commonplace. Regardless, it's pretty fun to watch. :)

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I was wondering what signs of hunger I should look for with my T? She's an A Chalcodes and I read that one sign is having her legs outside her hide, and that seems to be one, but I was wondering if there are any more signs I'm missing. Are there any other clues she could be hungry and such?
Licks its chops as you walk by.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NW terrestrials I have owned, and currently own, are almost always more sensitive to movement in their container when hungry. For example, if you add water to the water bowl and your T attacks the bowl/water when pouring, most likely your T is hungry. That's always been the case for me. All Ts are different on an individual basis mind you.

Another time I was doing husbandry and was spot cleaning and my T went attacked towards the direction of the spot cleaning. I dropped in a crix a few hours later and she dive bombed that cricket.

Roaming around their home has never been a sign of hunger w/my Ts.

Estein

Arachnoknight
NW terrestrials I have owned, and currently own, are almost always more sensitive to movement in their container when hungry. For example, if you add water to the water bowl and your T attacks the bowl/water when pouring, most likely your T is hungry. That's always been the case for me. All Ts are different on an individual basis mind you.

Another time I was doing husbandry and was spot cleaning and my T went attacked towards the direction of the spot cleaning. I dropped in a crix a few hours later and she dive bombed that cricket.

Roaming around their home has never been a sign of hunger w/my Ts.
Have you ever seen one of yours having legs outside the hide as well?

cold blood

Staff member
When you see a hunting posture.

If you have a syringe, a quick spritz (generally to the water dish) will get an instant reaction from a hungry t.

For many ts, arboreals especially, you can put a cup of super worms or mealworms on the top of the enclosure, they quickly end up on the lid right at the writhing worms.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you ever seen one of yours having legs outside the hide as well?
With fossorial species, yes. I. mira is a perfect example. The less hungry they are, the less you see them.

The same is true of M. balfouri IME.

Estein

Arachnoknight
With fossorial species, yes. I. mira is a perfect example. The less hungry they are, the less you see them.

The same is true of M. balfouri IME.
What about your NW terrestrials? I ask because both @MrTCollector and I feel we've seen something similar, though @EulersK says it's not really a benchmark for that group. (Sorry for being unclear in my last post.)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Concerning this species, mine are always out. Couldn't care less to hide. I've seen the attacking of water with A. geniculata and P. cancerides, but not in an A. chalcodes. I might keep mine a little fat!

ao4649

Arachnopeon
t's dont really show hunger much imo, just feed them regularly. if theyre hungry, theyll take it. if not, remove it.

you too??? my chalcodes is a total glutton, it's almost cute. she tends to play garbage disposal for whatever cricks my metallica doesnt eat, since crickets die so quickly

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What about your NW terrestrials? I ask because both @MrTCollector and I feel we've seen something similar, though @EulersK says it's not really a benchmark for that group. (Sorry for being unclear in my last post.)
I haven't observed this with them. They eat regardless of their location. Some take it back to their hide, some don't. It's all over the map for mine.