Sigmoria aberrans in captivity?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught a beautiful specimin of Sigmoria aberrans today, and was wondering if anyone had any experience in the captive keeping of this species. I would love to keep it, but if it will only pass away shortly due to its inability to cope with living captive, I will happily return it to the exact spot where I found it. Presently I have it in a peat moss/leaf mold mix with several chunks of rotting wood taken from the area where I found it, along with a large amount of rotting leaves. It seems very active, perhaps discontent with its surroundings. Is this a keeper, or am I looking at a species best left outdoors?
Side note, I caught my first Narceus today!! So excited {D

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, as to Sigmoria species I cant say for sure. I have tried to keep at least 3 polydesmid species of millipedes in captivity and they are much harder to rear for whatever reasons. One I think may have to do that they have a shorter lifespan on average, but they are also often confined to more specific microhabitats in the wild.

Either way good luck, there are people who keep them with some success out there, but I think most would agree they are more difficult.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will probably enjoy him for a couple of days then, and return him to the wild. He's very lovely, but lovely enough that I wouldn't want to kill him with my curiosity. I'm content enough with my Narceus!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive kept them in the past,they were collected in north carolina,they lived for afew months,they like it on the cool side,(75 degrees)moist leafmulch etc,i had rotting wood in there aswell.but yeah i know their lifespan is not as long as some other sp. not sure exactly.