Sigh. Herniated Tarantula

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Sad day here.
I think I have a herniated tarantula G. rosea she had just molted over a month ago after molting she went into her hide. she came out today abdomen smaller and a large lump on her right side of her abdomen. I was shocked because I had examined her molt and everything seemed fine.
I bought her at a LPS when she was pretty big so who knows what she had been through.
Could I have possibly caused this by overfeeding before her molt?
Could a cricket have munched at her? I waited almost a month before feeding and made sure her fangs were black.
Maybe she fell before I owned her?
She has plenty of substrate so she can't fall
But she hasn't been climbing and has been in her hide most of the time. I have a feeling her next molt she will not make it :(:(
I wish there was something I could do for her.
worry that placing her in an ICU would just stress her and make her rupture.
She does not want food so I removed it.
Ill try and get better pics later.
Hoping for opinions and help to make her "comfortable".

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really wish it was understood what causes these hernias/cysts/lumps/etc. They so often seem to spring up out of nowhere. Could be she suffered a fall or other injury. Could be from chemical/toxin exposure (like a fibroid). Could be a parasite hatched and is growing. In this case, who can say yet?

I have a H. schmidti that developed a small one on her abdomen after her last molt. I've been feeding her sparingly to keep it from growing; I have no idea if doing so even matters but so far, her abdomen's getting bigger but the cyst isn't. I think some people have had success draining them but I'm not sure I have the guts to try it.

I wish you luck with it and hope for the best for you. Keep us updated

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I really wish it was understood what causes these hernias/cysts/lumps/etc. They so often seem to spring up out of nowhere. Could be she suffered a fall or other injury. Could be from chemical/toxin exposure (like a fibroid). Could be a parasite hatched and is growing. In this case, who can say yet?

I have a H. schmidti that developed a small one on her abdomen after her last molt. I've been feeding her sparingly to keep it from growing; I have no idea if doing so even matters but so far, her abdomen's getting bigger but the cyst isn't. I think some people have had success draining them but I'm not sure I have the guts to try it.

I wish you luck with it and hope for the best for you. Keep us updated
Thank you so much!
Your right seems like they are so unexplained. :(
I wish there were T Mri's /abdomenograms.
I am so sorry about your H. Schmidti. I'm glad your cyst is not getting larger.
Could be chemicals or could be fall. The LPS I got her from does not take very good care of them and they are using bark substrate and papertowels in dish. I Have mentioned everything to them and it fell on deaf ears. I cant stand to go in there. I went in there today to check on the Ts they still have a MM OBT (perfect first pet!) who does not look in great shape. And An Avic who looks like she has made herself a noose to hang herself.:(
I am going to keep an eye on her and hope she will take food one day without popping.
Ill let you know how she is doing thanks again.

VinceG

Arachnobaron
I have an A.Avic that has a huge cyst on the abdomen too... It's really hard to watch it...

To give you hope, he had it for almost a year, still doing well, eating, pooping, even molting!

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I have an A.Avic that has a huge cyst on the abdomen too... It's really hard to watch it...

To give you hope, he had it for almost a year, still doing well, eating, pooping, even molting!
Thank you sorry to hear your Avic has one too.:(
But thank you for sharing :) you do give me hope! Its good to hear she can live a somewhat normal T life. :)
hopefully my rosie will still be the same T she was..just a little lumpier. ;)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a little rosea sling that had a pimple like bump on its abdomen for the last two molts and it's been fine. I actually forgot about it until just now. I will see if it's gone when I get home.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are explained quite well, it just takes some digging to find the information. While it would take you 8+ hours a day to read all of the various boards besides AB, sometimes it's worth it.

Nick's post is excellent:

http://thebts.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?4537-P.-metallica-parasite-help/page2

And a long thread on a P. metallica with the same issue:

http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19745

RobC even dropped a T. blondi and the same exact thing happened, he posted that on at least three sites.

Many tarantulas are damaged before or at the local pet stores, as WC can be sold by fish wholesalers these days. They get tossed about and depending on where they are in the molt cycle will dictate what happens. It is a real drag. While Ryan had some luck with "surgery" and others have used very very tiny needles to drain the "wounds", these sorts of problems rarely heal. I'm sorry.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
They are explained quite well, it just takes some digging to find the information. While it would take you 8+ hours a day to read all of the various boards besides AB, sometimes it's worth it.

Nick's post is excellent:

http://thebts.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?4537-P.-metallica-parasite-help/page2

And a long thread on a P. metallica with the same issue:

http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19745

RobC even dropped a T. blondi and the same exact thing happened, he posted that on at least three sites.

Many tarantulas are damaged before or at the local pet stores, as WC can be sold by fish wholesalers these days. They get tossed about and depending on where they are in the molt cycle will dictate what happens. It is a real drag. While Ryan had some luck with "surgery" and others have used very very tiny needles to drain the "wounds", these sorts of problems rarely heal. I'm sorry.
Yes I did lots of searching and would take a whole day at least to Sort & read everything, I found one thread where the Tarantula molted and the results were not very good so I was pretty freaked out.:(

Thank you so much for the links I really appreciate it. :worship:
It explains these bumps a lot better.
If anything it is a good learning lesson on why you don't buy T's from LPS. Its better to buy from AB members /experienced caretakers shipped properly and taken care of properly.
Thanks again

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a MM P.irminia that survived one of these and another who didn't. :(

I think survival pretty much depends on the span of time between getting the hernia and the next molt..