Sick videos on Youtube

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Well the real facts of the debate is that no one has yet to prove that T's NEED to eat mice, but no one has proved that they CANT eat vertebrates without getting wet molts. About the only fact here is that a mouse has the potential to injure your T while its being wrestled by the T. Thats a fact. A mouse can hurt a T while struggling, but if a pinkie or fuzzy is fed to an adult female LP, she is in no danger during the takedown.
I have fed many Ts pinkies or fuzzies over the years, and have never had a bad next molt. If someone online is gonna tell me what works and what doesn't, then there better be some facts to back it up or else I must rely on my own personal experiences. My experience(with T's, not on the keyboard) tells me that there is no harm to the T's from feeding mice. Then again, I've never fed more than one mouse per molt cycle, so I cannot attest to constant vertebrate feedings. It may kill your T, I don't know.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
It does happen in the wild... Think about it for more than a second. Spiders will eat ANYTHING they can overpower, this is known. In every area I can think of, there are rodents, lizards, frogs, and all sorts of other creatures that a tarantula would have no problem overpowering. Am I right or am I right? Mice are my choice because they are EVERYWHERE! It's a fact, see --> http://www.ehow.com/about_4609076_do-mice-nest.html

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
soldiers

just comment on the main topic. i really haven't read most of the posts, but couple months ago I browsed through youtube and noticed alot of the US soldiers in "the sandbox", as they call it, pitting scorpions and camel spiders together and posting them. camel spiders scare the bejeebus outta me, but still not a worthy fate.

Axsisdnied

Arachnopeon
There are too many to count

The number I'm refering to is those who have no respect for life. So many people post those video's were they pin two animals to fight. Very upsetting and disturbing that someone would go out of there way first to go purchase or aquire the animal and then take all the time to record and get the camera and then post to Youtube like some proud moment. That doesn't say much about their character as a human being. Someone doesn't like Spiders cool that's their business, I am not big on Dogs or Cats but I would never intentionally hurt one and if one needed my aid I would help. I think people should prove they deserve to be the worthy of this planet and at the very least respect all life and remember next time your on a plane and see those tiny ant-like structures below, yeah that's us.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Yea, I'm sure I will feed some tarantulas to other ones of mine... Whether it be a failed mating attempt, someone escaping into another enclosure. It happens ;) lol Sad... But true. And not an excuse to do it by any means, none of my personal spiders have been fed anything with bones (as of yet). Just my brothers B. Smithi I bought for him 6 years ago. I fed it two frogs in this time frame, about half the size of my thumb. I should find that video and post it up on youtube :rolleyes: lol, oh wait that was a bad joke... :wall::barf:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It does happen in the wild... Think about it for more than a second. Spiders will eat ANYTHING they can overpower, this is known. In every area I can think of, there are rodents, lizards, frogs, and all sorts of other creatures that a tarantula would have no problem overpowering. Am I right or am I right? Mice are my choice because they are EVERYWHERE! It's a fact, see --> http://www.ehow.com/about_4609076_do-mice-nest.html
If I may reiterate:
Tarantulas feed opportunistically, they eat whatever they can get. But at the same time, they are not at the top of the food chain and countless ones die every day from things like predation and injury [from fighting things like mice]. That's why eggsacs contain so many offspring. Mimicking the natural environment to the point where your terrarium includes this part of their lives is missing the point of owning them as pets. If "It happens in the wild" is your argument, you might as well be encouraging fungal growth and parasites.

JamieC

Arachnopeon
Yea, I'm sure I will feed some tarantulas to other ones of mine... Whether it be a failed mating attempt, someone escaping into another enclosure. It happens ;) lol Sad... But true. And not an excuse to do it by any means, none of my personal spiders have been fed anything with bones (as of yet). Just my brothers B. Smithi I bought for him 6 years ago. I fed it two frogs in this time frame, about half the size of my thumb. I should find that video and post it up on youtube :rolleyes: lol, oh wait that was a bad joke... :wall::barf:
The point Chris is trying to make is that Tarantula's eat all kinds of things in the wild. Mice, lizards, birds, other tarantulas, anything they can overpower. The list is endless. That doesn't mean that these food items are good for them. They feed when the opportunity presents itself. Food at times might be scarce which is why I believe tarantulas can survive for so long without eating.

No one can prove that mice are a bad choice of food, but why take the risk? Tarantulas have survived for years in captivity on crickets and roaches. Not feeding mice won't harm your tarantula, feeding mice might harm your tarantula. Worth the risk? :?

Jamie :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Tarantulas may eat mice in the wild but they are perfectly fine eating invertebrate prey. In fact it is speculated that vertebrate prey may cause molt problems due to calcium overdose. So if someone feeds a live mouse to a T, it is because they want to witness the ordeal. Personally, I think making small animals suffer for no benefit whatsoever is purely sick. But that's just me...

In addition, tarantulas eat disease infested prey in the wild as well, probably much more than they eat mice. Do mouse feeders also feed their Ts knowingly nematode infested prey as well? It happens in the wild you know...

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Of course tarantulas are fed prey with nematods, mainly coming from crickets. And feeding vertabrates is not "Sick", it's actually the same as feeding crickets or roaches. And by the way, I've heard about MORE people having troubles with feeding crickets over mice/lizards and things of this nature. Since crickets do carry ALOT of diseases. All that I've heard about feeding spiders vertabrates is that

A) It's speculated that calcium can cause issues molting. ONLY SPECULATED...

B) It's dangerous to put a vertabrate in with a tarantula. Make sure it's of proper size and actually watch it until it's all over... Don't just run off and do whatever. I've also heard of crickets killing tarantula's...

C) It's just plain disgusting... If you don't care for it THAT much, then yeah don't do it. It doesn't really bother me, I've seen plenty of worse things than that.

I'd have to say it's risky putting any prey item in with your T... Wether it be a mouse or a cricket and anything in between. But if you have a weak stomach, or think that for some reason is animal abuse, then DON'T DO IT! :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah... I'm sure you've heard a lot of horror stories about feeding Ts crickets. Right... :wall: Well if that's so then stop feeding yours crickets and roaches and stick to your mice and lizards. I for one (and most others) have never had a problem with crickets.

Well since your excuses are getting dumber and dumber, I'm out.

Good day.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was, by far, not my point.

None of us can stop you from doing whatever you like, so go ahead and load your Ts up with mice. Be sure to tell us when something goes awry, we need the data so we can stop relying on anecdotes.

Last edited:

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
lol, you've not heard of people complaining about crickets killing tarantulas if left in the cage during a molt, or catching diseases from store bought crickets. You haven't heard any of that? hmmm, that pops up quite frequently around here to my understanding. And I don't intend on gutloading my tarantula's with mice, nor did I ever make that remark. Simply saying, there is NOTHING wrong with it. I think in the last few million years, a spider has probably adapted to the consumption of a little rodent every now and again.

Happens in the wild yo ;) lol

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, I'll change the scenario since what I said before is clearly confusing to some people: Would you rear hawk wasps in your terrarium because spiders run into them in the wild?

The first Avicularia discovered was found eating a hummingbird, but you don't see anyone using those as feeders. We don't introduce a herd of deer into our backyards so our dogs can pick off the sick and elderly. Lots of things happen in the wild...keeping animals as pets entails altering their environment so that it isn't the wild.

But like I just said, No one can stop anyone when it comes to vertebrate feeding. Not even what the topic's about in the first place, so I don't know what I'm doing here anymore.

Last edited:

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Well what a good point. I think im gunna have to go and put some wasps in my enclosures. Glad you brought that up man :D

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Or why don't I just stick to the occasional mouse every once in a great while ;)

Man, you take everything too literally... Like a Taliban man and his Quran :) lol, why would anybody put a wasp in an enclosure that's just dumb... Man, pretty soon you're gunna be saying, "So you gunna go get crocodile Dundee and put him in your enclosure, he's in the wild too!"

Mice, frogs, and lizards will suffice for me.

But back to the topic, yea them people posting vids of Tarantula's vs. Whatever they can find... Completely innapropriate. I saw one where they put a tarantula into a blender and make spider shakes. Made me wanna cry :(