Sick L. parahbana

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all I just got a L.parahbana sling a few weeks ago and the last 4 days when I grab it's vial to check on it it freaks out and goes through what looks like to me
a seizure or somthing:( I thought I read something a short while back about some type of sickness that T's get not sure though. Can it get my other T's sick?

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all I just got a L.parahbana sling a few weeks ago and the last 4 days when I grab it's vial to check on it it freaks out and goes through what looks like to me
a seizure or somthing:( I thought I read something a short while back about some type of sickness that T's get not sure though. Can it get my other T's sick?
That sounds to me like normal L. parahybana behavior- they do tend to spazz out and run around quite a bit.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Na I think she is just reacting to you shaking her world. I have a few slings and juvies that react like that. Ill come walking into the room and three or 4 Ts go bonkers slamming into corners and running around like mad trying to hide. Watch her from a distance and see if she is walking normal, I suspect she is just fine.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It don't run around all it's legs go nuts and it kinda rocks and bounces at the same time. It just started acting like this thats why it seemed sick or something to me.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine don't do it all the time ether, they seem to do it in phases. Keep us updated though.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok been watching and it seems to freak out whenever it attempts to move and continues while walking. I hope it's just a phase seems weird to me though.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really hope so for you too. Never nice to have a T with that sickness. Although i haven't heard of it in slings.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know the name of the sickness? Or where to find any info on it :?

icenola

Arachnopeon
The only one I've heard about is Dyskinetic Syndrome. I've seen video on YouTube of a T that had it. It looked as if it was full of mites and it was aggitated trying to get it off of itself as it walked,...but it is some kind of nerve disorder that attacks the T's (this particular T was a larger one..not a sling). Dont know where to go for info on it...only that its usually fatal i'm told. I truly hope this is not the case for you.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its called Dyskenetic syndrome, I dont know that there is much to read on it really. But as I said before I doubt this is what you are seeing. With Dyskenetic syndrome you will see the T walk like it does not know its in its own body. Legs seem to do what they want, hang in the air, move in a jerking manner and at weird angles. Sometimes in the advanced stages limbs are cast off, they get sluggish as well and eventually die. They really look like a robot T when they do get it as far as how they move. But the behavior you have seen is very normal for your T.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You might have already said, but did your sling every move normally after your received it?

I had a couple of juveniles do this after being shipped in very, very cold weather. It took two molts for them to recover completely. If this is the same thing, make sure your sling is able to catch and eat its food. I had to pre-kill and lay the crickets right under my Ts' mouths for months before they molted enough to move normally.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx icenola watched some vids of T's with the syndrome and looks a-lot like what my sling is going through:(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you think what you saw on the videos you watched is what your T is doing, you would know better then me you are there watching. Just know its fatal. I have never heard of T recovering.
I would not go all doom and gloom yet though just leave her alone for the rest of the day, check again once this evening. Try your best to let her be for a while.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah talkenlate that is what The T is acting like it's messed up I think someone that knows nothing of T's would think somthin was wrong if they saw this t move it almost flipes over on it's back during these episodes And yes the T was fine for the first week even pounced on a lobster roach all was well at that time.
I,m gonna try and borrow a camcorder so you guy's could see what I,m talkin about. The T is not running around tryin to hide and kikin hairs like I witness with my other T's. And if this behavior is normal for a L.parahbana then thats one funky T and would wonder why anyone would want to own one Oh and I really haven't bothered the slings at all once every 3days or so to mist the vials keep em in bathroom stable temps and dark most of the time.

Last edited:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
syndrome

your para sling doesnt sound like this is normal behavior. Mine was skittish at times, but never did she wave her legs around like ive read diskenetic Ts do. Id wait and see, it might not be this, but if it turns out it is, I havent heard of any recoveries.:(

icenola

Arachnopeon
I'm sure you have already....but as a reminder...keep it isolated from your other T's as it is really unknown how they contract the disease. Good Luck.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx for the help guys I have moved the sling away from my other T's going to watch it for a bit longer before I decide whether or not to end its trouble's :(

icenola

Arachnopeon
I know some suggest putting it into a freezer as a painlessly method to put it to sleep. Some has suggested that the freezer is painful for it because initially the cold comes too quickly.

It is now being suggested to first put it in the refridgerator to slowly bring its body temp down...which slowly brings it into unconsciousness....then put it into the freezer..

Just a suggestion should you decide to go that route...I'm really sorry that you have to go though this type of decision making....Best of Luck...