siccarius eggcases

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Two different mothers right, kept in two different colors of sand?

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cool. I have some Steatoda borealis eggsacs that are different colours. One is white, one is orange, and one is pinkish. What causes the different colours from a single species?

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you mean that the silk is in different colors? Because if not it could be the eggs.

Black Widow88

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Right, in the case of the Steatoda, it is the eggs that are a different color, and I don't know why that is, but I've witnessed it as well.

In this case the egg sacs reflect the color of the sand that the spider is kept in.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's interesting....and also confusing because you don't know if the eggs are fertile or not.

Black Widow88

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool. I have some Steatoda borealis eggsacs that are different colours. One is white, one is orange, and one is pinkish. What causes the different colours from a single species?
I have had this before, all the spiders colour will be normal when they are older, also I have had one female produce pink egg sac and at a later date produce yellow, I think it is to do with the diet.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have had this before, all the spiders colour will be normal when they are older, also I have had one female produce pink egg sac and at a later date produce yellow, I think it is to do with the diet.
I saw this occur with an S. triangulosa (I think) in her web at my mother's. If it hadn't been for your post a while back, I would have assumed that it was only that one sac was older than the other.