hauser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sicarius terrosus (Chile)

Sicarius hahni (Namibia)

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice! I love the pebbles in the photos. I hope you keep them on sand otherwise, the sand dust on the animals gives hint that you do ;)

I'm happy to keep S. terrosus, but I'd be reluctant to keep S. Hahni.

hauser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice! I love the pebbles in the photos. I hope you keep them on sand otherwise, the sand dust on the animals gives hint that you do ;)
i do keep them on sand. the black pebbles ground is just a photo setup to give the pics a darker look. ;)

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm happy to keep S. terrosus, but I'd be reluctant to keep S. Hahni.

Are hahni more dangerous than terrosus? I've been interested in this genus for a while now, because they have such interesting behavior, but I'm nervous about keeping any siccarius because of their venom. I think I'm gonna let other people do it for a few years until I'm more experienced with some "safer" hot species.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's my understanding that S. hahni has a much more dangerous bite.

You must have an awesome collection hauser!

Great shots, they just look Bad Ass!!! :D

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What did you use for lighting? I always have such a hard time with light sources.

hauser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gorgeous pictures!! I can never see enough pics of this genus.

And yes, S. hahni is more dangerous than S. terrosus ( though at this level of toxicity, it's a bit like comparing various strengths of nuclear warheads....dead is dead.)

hauser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sicarius hahni

i raised 1.1 Sicarius hahni (Namibia) from slings. they grow adult in about a year. i haven't noticed any aggressive or mating behaviour, after introducing the male into the females enclosure. everytime i was observing, they just did what they do all the time, hiding buried in sand, pretty boring spiders to keep. ;)
3 weeks later, she started building an egg sac. i'll keep you updated, as soon as the spiderlings hatch.

more S. hahni pics

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wonderful photographic record of egg-laying and building the egg sac. I noticed a glob of the sand on her spinnerets. Is that how she manipulated the sand to put it into the sac wall, rather than picking it up with her chelicerae?

These pictures should end up in a book someday. This sort of life-history record needs to be preserved.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And yes, S. hahni is more dangerous than S. terrosus ( though at this level of toxicity, it's a bit like comparing various strengths of nuclear warheads....dead is dead.)
Good way of putting it. :)

hauser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wonderful photographic record of egg-laying and building the egg sac. I noticed a glob of the sand on her spinnerets. Is that how she manipulated the sand to put it into the sac wall, rather than picking it up with her chelicerae?
exactly, i haven't seen her picking sand with legs or chelicerae. they mix silk with sand while picking up. Sicarius sp. never uses silk besides building egg sacs.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When will these be in the US? :eek:

I absolutely love this species and would love to own one or two... or three!

mma316

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sicarius terrosus!

When will these be in the US? :eek:

I absolutely love this species and would love to own one or two... or three!
A couple of months back Tarantula Inc. had a few Sicarius terrosus for sale!