shower buddy

lauralee1967

Arachnopeon
So, I caught this little guy or gal swimming around my feet in the shower today. I have to say, I was not thrilled. After getting over being scared, I got it out of the water and put it in this bowl. I had an extra aquarium already so decided to attempt to keep it. I am working on it's new habitat still. Can someone please tell me, where to post this picture to see if it can be determined if it is male or female and approximately how old it might be? I am wondering if it will grow much. I am going in the morning to buy crickets for the tank. I have access to live or dried. which are recommended? Will it need any supplements? I have driftwood, pulled grass, a big rock, some fish gravel, a small water dish, and in the morning, I will be adding dirt for it to dig in. So far, it seems content to hide in the driftwood I brought up from the creek. What kind of pictures do I need to take to try to determine gender and age? Thanks in advance to everyone.

p.s. I am afraid to pick it up. I have read it's best not to because they are easily injured. Is it the opinion of everyone here, that I try to conquere my fear, or just observe it? also attached is the beginning of the habitat I am working on for it. 20170508_165220.jpg 20170508_181841.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Looks A.chalcodes to me (still ain't an expert of that genus). If you want to care for the bugger :kiss: just buy "dirt" (coco fiber, topsoil, Irish peat moss... what you want) and fill the enclosure with that, a water dish, a piece of cork bark or wood. Done.

Offer live preys... crickets, roaches.

Seems IMO an healthy specimen by the pic... I can't determine the sex, of course.

lauralee1967

Arachnopeon
Also, I feel the same about this guy or gal as I do about my turtles. If they are young enough they can adapt to being a pet but if they are already mature it's probably cruel and they should be put back where they came from. Likewise, if they have matured as pets you can't just "set them free" or they won't know how to survive. This is one reason for me trying to find an approximate age. Can I get other opinions on this please?

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
A Tarantula will "know how to survive" regardless of being captive bred or not. The spider should not have an issue if you decide to keep it. Provide water, and food and the T will be fine.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like A. anax? Anyway, you can try posting ventral pics under the Tarantula Sexing subforum.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm a little jealous! I want an Aphonopelma in my shower! I'd recommend taking the grass out of there, and be careful with anything you bring in from outside - I know it sounds a little weird because it's a wild T but you don't want to bring in anything that potentially has pesticides on it. Congrats on your little one, it looks healthy!

boina

Lady of the mites
Ok. I'm trying to deliver a crash course in Aphonopelma care here ;):

1. A lot of mostly dry substrate. Coco fiber, topsoil, whatever works for you. No rocks or chunks of wood in the substrate, though, because your T might scrape its abdomen.
2. A tarantula can climb glass, but badly, and might fall. A potential fall might rupture the abdomen, so don't give her a chance to fall: The terrarium shouldn't be too high. If it is, fill it with substrate. Coco fiber is cheap.
3. A place to hide: cork bark, pieces of wood, whatever you like
4. A water dish with nothing but water, and not too small. The T has to be able to dunk her whole head in.
5. Aphonpelma aren't the big adventurers, so even if it's a bit older it will probably do very well in captivity. They only want a place to hide and settle and some food.
6. Food: Fresh or prekilled insects and worms of any kind, but not dried or frozen. A tarantula cannot eat dried food.

That's it. I can't think of anything else. Oh yes: I'm so jealous. All I get in my shower are Pholcus :(

For age: what size is it? That might at least give you a hint, but nothing definitive.
For sex: you will have to take a pic of the underside. Let it climb in some clear box and take a pic through the box.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah I'd like to stress you fill the enclosure with a deep layer of dry dirt, the vertical space should be no more than 1.5 times the spiders leg span so it won't fall. Also the water dish would be a lot better without a sponge and the grass should be removed just use straight up dirt for filling the tank then insert the water dish and something it can hide in that won't degrade such as driftwood, cork bark, and even halved pvc pipes all being acceptable hides. Food will be live crickets with no supplements being needed and don't over feed they only need food like once a week or less depending on the spider. Also the lid should be acrylic preferably or a robust mesh but acrylic is better. Tarantulas can chew weak mesh and escape or even with stronger mesh they can damage legs and fangs from getting them stuck in it although this is rare.