Should you save molts?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Do you save your clipped fingernails? I put molts into that same category of 'throw away immediately' unless I haven't sexed the T in question yet. In that case, I photograph it with a macro lens, and throw it away.

If people have fun collecting them, that's fine. Doesn't hurt anybody.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
For me, it depends on circumstances. I have made this mostly for my son:

Nevermind the stuff in the bottom right. That's other spiders I just parked there. The B. hamorii molts in the top are from my son's spider - which he bought at age 5. It's a way for him to stay in touch with the growth of his pet.
As for myself: Being trained in natural science, I have this nasty habit of producing data, and I like setting up those molts as a meditative work and nice practice of my dexterity. So there you go. Not all for the sake of my son :).

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Once I learn how to use resin appropriately, I plan on preserving a few molts (full or partial) from some of my favorite species that I keep. Otherwise I open the abdomen (or attempt to) and then toss them. I take pictures next to a ruler for size reference and then into the garbage they go. I don’t need my toddler finding a molt box and getting haired by accident.

Still haven’t had a large enough tarantula with an intact enough molt to sex lol but I still save especially intact molts sometimes because it can be fun to track their growth that way. I have 3 out of the 4 molts my T. apophysis has had in my care and it’s awesome to see how much that species in particular grows between molts
I second this. Mine had a massive size jump from when I got it to the molt it just finished over the weekend.

It hasn’t come out of hiding yet but it’s definitely way leggier than it was when I got it.

You haven’t truly lived until you’ve successfully pranked someone with a molt… I have no shame in admitting that a carefully placed molt on a keyboard has been the pinnacle of my pranking career.
I also have a lot of friends with kids who love tarantulas, and molts make great birthday gifts!
One of my goals is to suspend the individual molts in a resin filled vial or something and display them or sell them. Looks really cool!
#howtomakeahoarder
You better make your munchkin a resin molt necklace when Harry molts!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
A little off the wall, but I've been saving them for a friend. She has a "voodoo kit" that is a decoration in her house. Basically, it's a bunch of old, oddly shaped jars with weird contents and it straight up looks like it belongs in a witch doctor's hut or a museum somewhere. A large jar full of rare and colorful molts of different sizes seems like it would be the perfect "ingredient" to display lol.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
A little off the wall, but I've been saving them for a friend. She has a "voodoo kit" that is a decoration in her house. Basically, it's a bunch of old, oddly shaped jars with weird contents and it straight up looks like it belongs in a witch doctor's hut or a museum somewhere. A large jar full of rare and colorful molts of different sizes seems like it would be the perfect "ingredient" to display lol.
That sounds AMAZING

KenNet

Arachnosquire
If you take them out every now and then, sure, you should keep them! If they just collecting dust, its never a good thing to hang on to the past moult.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Or......you can make a cast of the molt then use the cast to make chocolate tarantulas.......the holidays are upon us.