Should I?

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have been really wanting to get a frog but I havnt been able to figure out what kinda I wanted..well...theres a huge frog that hangs out outside our door at nights and hes cute as hell (even though I think he ate all the tiny green frogs we used to have). Ive been debating about whether or not to catch him for a pet..he seems pretty happy where he is as king of all frogs but...he would make an awsome pet! Should I?

Last edited:

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He's kind of a pet already, don't ya think? :) And he's free, too... I mean, free to roam and feed himself and mingle with the ladies (or fellas.. whatever he or she may be). You could offer him a treat ever so often... some crickets or worms, etc. ...but I really think he'd rather be outside by your door.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been really wanting to get a frog but I havnt been able to figure out what kinda I wanted..well...theres a huge frog that hangs out outside our door at nights and hes cute as hell (even though I think he ate all the tiny green frogs we used to have). Ive been debating about whether or not to catch him for a pet..he seems pretty happy where he is as king of all frogs but...he would make an awsome pet! Should I?
the big ole cuban treefrog{D yeah, they are around by me also they will eat anything they can get their little sticky pads onto.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you should be able to find a cuban treefrog at a petstore/online seller
if you really want one pretty cute little fellas

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, cuban treefrogs ARE an invasive species that is threatening populations of native frogs (among other animals), so I don't think your native habitat would mind too much if you relieved them of one ;)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wild-caught herps frequently have difficulty acclimating to a captive environment, and are probably carrying parasites and other things you don't want. You should leave him where he is, since he's known the great outdoors all his life and he'll keep eating those pesky insects for you. :)

There should be plenty of healthy, captive-bred frogs (even of that same species) available for pretty cheap online.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thank you mushroomspore

is there a captive bred supply of cubans thou?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am sure many people have CBd the Cuban Treefrogs. personally I wouldnt be opposed to taking an invasive species out of the wild (especially because its eating all your little green frogs lol) the only parasite concerns I would have woulf be towards my existing collection of frogs.. if you dont have other amphibians then there is nothing to catch what it may or may not have. up to you, but I would make a nice house for it and catch it.. even if just to try it out for a while. if they have a Frogwatch program in your area they may want to destroy it anyways (like the american bullfrogs up here)

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree with atacnophilist. i think you should make it a nice little home and catch him! Especially since it's an invasive species, you don't want it damaging all your native frogs and other such things. i think he'd make a nice pet. :D