Should i worry?

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey guys! i am just wondering if i should be afraid of this spider, i have 3 Curlyhairs and 1 avic, and now a blondi, is this bad to jump right on to one, how dangerous is it really? thanks,
James

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not bad at all. The blondi was my first spider when I got back into the hobby after 10+ year absence. Just go through past posts regarding the T. blondi and read up on them. They tend to be a bit more problematic when it comes to molting. There are several different theories as to why though. I lost one in a bad molt and the other lost 3 legs. That was about a year ago and I attribute the problems to operator error. I didn't have the humidity high enough and my heat source had been disconnected by a cat... which I no longer have. Since, it has had two successful molts and is now about 7" and it's a male. I keep mine between 74 and 80 degrees and I keep the substrate (potting soil/peat) damp. It has a large half terra cotta saucer it hides under. The water dish is half way under the saucer in hopes of keeping the humidity under the saucer high. I feed it pinkies and crickets. That's about all I can think of, but if you want anymore specific info, just let me know.

Botar

Last edited:

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
worry

intresting question, and one only you can answer.

You should worry if you : Havent done your reasearch. Are nervous. Have no confidence. Cant provide the environment needed for the T.

Dont forget you have the strength of all expert help here and elsewhere on the web. :)

happy hunting-
looseyfur
e.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

how high is their venom? and it is only to be 2" should i worry about changing the cage? and arent you supposed to change t's cage once every year? How much substrate for it, it is only 2", and what should i feed it? thanks botar,

James

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
You should worry if you : Havent done your reasearch. Are nervous. Have no
i have done my research i am excited and nervous at the same time! i have it envirement, i guess i shouldn't worry if i need help i will come straght here! thanks looseyfur and everyone else!!

James

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Venom? I have no idea and I'm not looking to find out. Mine will readily attack anything that comes near it. I use 12" forceps and a turkey baster (for watering) when I work in it's cage. I've just got a couple of inches of substrate in with mine, but I'm not an expert in keeping them. I know others have much more to allow for burrowing. At 2" it is large enough to take any cricket you can throw at it. Personally, I'd hold off on pinkies until it after it's next molt. Leftover pinky parts are no fun and it should be big enough after it's next molt to take one. They grow rather quickly. Cage maintenance schedules will vary from keeper to keeper. IMO, unless there is a specific need, once a year should be fine. If you notice mold, fungus, or mite (or springtail) problems, you can change it at that time. Again, this is just my experience and others may have more scientifically backed suggestions.

Botar