Should I Upgrade Cage size?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I normally wouldn’t even ask, but I’m half sure to either add more dirt because the cage is wider at the middle or
Upgrade Cage size. It looks rather bland no bark or hide . It needs redone either way . It Only lived in this Cage for one molt.
any suggestions? I’ve let sub dry out because mold .
IMG_8870.jpeg IMG_8869.jpeg IMG_8868.jpeg

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would save the dirt for the next enclosure. She doesn't look uncomfortable, doesn't appear to be much of a burrower, maybe she's adopted it as her burrow. Which would likely be bland in nature, save for a few poop ornaments and exuvia sculptures 🤣

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
I agree with the "needs a hide". She looks very healthy though, nice and plump abdomen. My 4" G. pulchripes was not climbing until the heat started going up. When she stands on tiptoes, her front legs touch the ceiling and she will go around the enclosure like that, while webbing. She goes and lays on her hide and just waits. Then retreats to her hide. When I noticed her doing that I was relieved the substrate was at the right level.

I do not know if your Tarantula climbs the walls, but with that big abdomen... I am sure you know all about the requirements though, but to help out since you are unsure, I figured I'd share my thoughts on the subject. A hide and perhaps more substrate will make it look perfect. Bland is great and she does not look stressed out.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I agree with the "needs a hide". She looks very healthy though, nice and plump abdomen. My 4" G. pulchripes was not climbing until the heat started going up. When she stands on tiptoes, her front legs touch the ceiling and she will go around the enclosure like that, while webbing. She goes and lays on her hide and just waits. Then retreats to her hide. When I noticed her doing that I was relieved the substrate was at the right level.

I do not know if your Tarantula climbs the walls, but with that big abdomen... I am sure you know all about the requirements though, but to help out since you are unsure, I figured I'd share my thoughts on the subject. A hide and perhaps more substrate will make it look perfect. Bland is great and she does not look stressed out.
Seems I need deeper sub and add a hide , would something this work ? Not sure if this exact one fits . IMG_8887.jpeg

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
You could make it fit by cutting it at an angle. You already opened up the back which is a good thing. By placing it slanted in the substrate, your tarantula might even burrow a little. With the opening being taller and the back being in the ground. It also allows for a nice tight space that tarantulas like. Another option could be placing it up against a wall, and adding substrate over it, as well as a piece of cardboard or black paper in the back on the outside of the enclosure. All my tarantulas end up in the corner where this is black paper. Many of my slings and very young juveniles have made their enclosure their burrow and do not use the hide. I still put the hide and make 'pre-started burrows' (dry and moist for choice). That is where they have been staking out.

You have much space available to make bland amazing. Gradients of height around the hide/burrow, as an example.

Last edited:

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
I had to wait before showing this to you. My AF B. Emilia was in pre-molt and had started her molt web. The condiment cup was not supposed to be there, but she would not let go of it when I tried to remove it after a re-house. She would spend days curled up in it, even if she had a delux corkbark hide.

The enclosure is modest in decor. I have been removing the moss here and there but she put that in the cup during the last few days. This is where she chose to molt, and this morning, she is in her corkbark hide.

I put the fake plastic leaves, that I got at michaels during a 60% off spring sale, in there so I could put water drops on it. Since I do not know yet if she is drinking in the water bowl or not, I try to offer hydration in different ways. If it makes a difference or not, who knows.

I really do not think you need to “upgrade”. I think you are making good choices with sub and hide. Offer two hides if you feel it is too blandastic.

Attachments