Should I take my ball python to the vet

olll

Arachnosquire
Hi, I just got my first ball python 5 days ago. She is an adult female. I believe she never went to the bathroom. Is it a good idea to bring she to the vet for a exam? How much do this cost. I ask a couple vet, and the price is anywhere from 75 to 120. It that too expensive? I live in Canada.

Also, is this a scale problem? image.jpg

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Never hurts to have it examined. I have no idea what vet bills look like in Canada.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
the scale problem looks like it’s either from some type of injury or depending on previous care, it’s scaring from stuck sheds. You can feel yourself for impactions in its gut. Try feeding it and wait for a few days to a week. Mine normally craps 2-7 days after it eats a rat. If it hasn’t done it’s business after feeding it. Then it’s definitely time to go get it checked out, as it could possibly have a blockage. Where did you get it from?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Yeah, Poonjab is right about the scale problem. I've had wild caught pythons (way back before captive bread became widely available), and they frequently had lots of these scars from tough lives in the wild. The scars never caused problems, and there's nothing you can do or need to do about them.
5 days is too soon to worry about a blockage, but if it has a blockage that would be a serious problem that needs attention.

basin79

ArachnoGod
The scale problem looks like scar tissue most probably due to being fed live mice/rats and got bitten.

If you want your python to have a crap thoroughly clean your bath. Put a few inches of warm water in, literally just a little warm not remotely hot and let your python enter. Shouldn't be too long before you see bubbles then "clean up in aisle 3".

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The scale problem looks like scar tissue most probably due to being fed live mice/rats and got bitten.

If you want your python to have a crap thoroughly clean your bath. Put a few inches of warm water in, literally just a little warm not remotely hot and let your python enter. Shouldn't be too long before you see bubbles then "clean up in aisle 3".
Uggghh. All too familiar with this. Haha

olll

Arachnosquire
I got it from an local store. Should I ask them about it? Thank you for the help.

olll

Arachnosquire
That’s my other account

She doesn’t have the problem all over the body. Just few part, If it’s a rat bit, I will assume most of her body will be like that

So I should bathe her?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
So I should bathe her?
He was suggesting that sometimes when you run a warm bath for them and let them just kinda chill and soak, it’s helps them crap. Run like four inches of “warm” not hot water in the tub. Let it chill in there for like 20-30 minutes. Patiently wait for the fireworks to start. Just don’t get your hands to close. You might lose a finger.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
5 days is FAR too early to worry about seeing poop!

It could have pooped an hour before you got it!

GL!

olll

Arachnosquire
She does not have a blockage and poops regularly, I am wondering if she’ll be able to breed?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
She does not have a blockage and poops regularly, I am wondering if she’ll be able to breed?
You just got her, this is your first ball python, you should just relax.

I do not understand everyone's desire to breed their animals the very first chance they get.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I will wait another year I guess
There's absolutely no need to breed. Royal/ball pythons are like bearded dragons. They're over saturated. Unless it's the new "must have" or one of the other designer ones you'll really struggle finding good homes for the babies.

Zero wrong with "just" having a pet royal/ball.