Should I get a P.Irmina?

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey! I am in the market for a couple o new T's for my upcoming birthday, and I was looking at different pics of tarantulas to see what I wanted. When I saw the ones of P. Irmina, I was amazed at how awesome they look. Well, come to find out that they are "very aggressive"....

Right now, I have 3 T's, but none of them are super defensive. I was just wondering if anyone would recommend one of these beautiful guys to a semi beginner, and what kind of care requirements they have.

Thanx!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Aww.. P. irminia are not 'Very Aggressive'. They can be temperamental sometimes, but it ain't bad.
When young they burrow, and as they grow, they adapt to more arboreal behavior.

Get a young one, and raise it up, you'll be used to her in no time.

-Sean

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aww.. P. irminia are not 'Very Aggressive'. They can be temperamental sometimes, but it ain't bad.
When young they burrow, and as they grow, they adapt to more arboreal behavior.

Get a young one, and raise it up, you'll be used to her in no time.

-Sean
what he said

and they are probably slightly cooler looking in real life, in good light :)

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes

not nasty like alot of people say just fast...and sometimes a little pissy....they are eating machines......very pretty too....grow quick...

love mine
you'll love yours
tom

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanx, I think I will go ahead and get one anyways....Cant say no to such a cool lookin' T.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whatever. I owned a suntiger that I sold off about a year ago and this thing was mean... like Usumbara mean. Open the cage and this thing was on its hindlegs. But Im sure some are quite handable. Im just not gonna hold a T that rears up and the slightest movement. On the other hand defensive T's can be quite fun to hold if you get off on that kinda stuff... but the Suntiger is definitly a good looking T once full grown...or the females at least!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Temperment will of course vary by the individual T, but in general P. irminia aren't what you would consider "aggressive". I think it's important to make a distinction though between "aggressive" and maybe a slightly more "advanced" spider. Naturally, more aggressive T's would be considered more "advanced" but not all "advanced" T's are considered to be so because they are aggressive. P. irminia are fairly hardy, so in that sense good for someone with less experience, but are often skittish and are quite fast. It's really a matter of knowing yourself well enough to know whether you would feel comfortable with a nervous and fast T. Particularly if you are not looking for something you intend to handle (which I wouldn't recommend with a P. irminia unless you are a fairly confident handler), I can't see a reason to not at least consider one. They are beautiful T's.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehe, I dont think I will be trying to hold one of those.....I dont even want to hold my adult female A. Avic because she is so fast....I think that would be a great way for her to scurry away and spend the next while trying to catch her again.

I am respectful of T's and their fangs, I dont think I want to experience a bite, if I can help it. I really just want a gorgeous collection of all different types of T's, especially arboreals. Therefore, the reason for me wanting the Suntiger is simply because they are neat lookin' and one would look nice in my glorified spider/reptile room

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my 2.5" p. irminia "blanky" has a definite character to it, when it's out from under the driftwood...{D

i find it interesting that sometimes i'll be doing some water changing in the enclosure next to it and look over and see nothing, then i'll glance over again and it'll be chillin by its waterbowl. i sometimes wonder if this little T has teleporting powers.... :?

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Honestly, any person can keep any kind of spider they want from Sun Tiger to T Blondi begenner or not. It does have alot to do with what you are comfortable being around. If you're scared of a cockroach you might not want to keep a tarantula at all. In my opion you can keep every T out there without handling it, you just need the proper tools to do so. Even a simple spoon can make all the difference. And once you get to know your Ts...and what spiders are all about most any question in life is answered. That is the best way I can describe it? I say get the $^%* spider!:5::5:5:5:

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way...does any body know what kinda T this is??

Last edited:

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
{D

It was some spider that has been hanging out on my back porch this spring...it likes moths:D

Last edited:

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P.irminia rarely, if ever, leaves it's hide. My Pokies are far more relaxed in the open. Still a beautiful T but not quite as prominent as I'd expected.
I agree that they all have their own personality and it's impossible to predict which 'type' of that particular species you will acquire.
ps Detwan - do you live on the sub-continent ?.......:D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Detwan, thats a Poecilotheria. It'd take a bit longer and some comparison to best-guess species, and I've got school now...
What country do you live in? :p

-Sean

Last edited:

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Detwan, what you have there is a Poecilotheria. It'd take a bit longer and some comparison to best-guess species, and I've got school now...
What country do you live in?

-Sean
I'm sure Detwan is just pulling our chain....:D
Looks like an Ornata to me....{D

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In response to the original question, heck yeah dude! They are beautiful spiders and pretty easy on the wallet, how can you beat that?

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:?

No it is actually Subfusca. But back to the orginal topic...get that dang Suntiger already!!!!!!!!!