Should he take his tarantula back to Japan?

Should he bring his T back to Japan?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My good friend Shinji is moving back to Japan and he is having trouble parting with his favorite T, his juvenile P.metallica. I tried to convince him to part with it but to no avail. I find myself completely out of ideas. I don't know anyone who has tried taking a tarantula on a plane. To be honest with you, I have no idea how you would be able to. Maybe in your check in baggage, and pack it like your were going to ship it? Or your carry-on? :? If he succeeded getting past the Post-9/11 Fascist security checks, then what? Wouldn't it be too cold too long in that cargo hold on the plane?

I'm torn. On the one hand, I understand how hard it is to part with something that is so much a part of your life, while on the other hand, the risk may be great. And the consequences may be disasterous. But then let me ask you this, as I have asked myself this many times. If you had your favorite t, the gem of your collection, and you had to move abroad, what would you do?

What would I do? If I were Shinji, I'd take a chance because t's are a big part of my life for a long time. I can't just part with them just like that. But then again, what about the t's safety. I am really stuck on this one. He's is leaning towards bringing it. I've tried doing research on Japanese customs for him but we both can't find anything about tarantulas.

I'm calling upon anyone and everyone. Should Shinji bring his T back with him to Japan? Yes or No. and include your reasons why? Thank you.

Last edited:

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I sure as hell wouldn't attempt to take one on a plane nowadays...unless he wants to end up in jail.

Shipping one though...i'd probably try that...but i'd look into the laws and see about getting the right permits...if not, no, i'd sell it.

~Fred

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I vote no. As much as I love T's, none are worth going to jail for animal smuggling. Are p. metallicas (or any other tarantulas for that matter) available/legal in Japan? If they are, it seems to me it would be much easier to sell this one and buy one legally back in Japan.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I wouldn't try it. Because while you may get a T through a flight in your luggage, I'd hate to be caught going through customs with it.

If they're legal in japan, I'd get another one. Otherwise, let it go.

-Sean

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would look into shipping it, like was mentioned, otherwise, sell it, put aside the money and buy a new one once I can.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heck no, I love my Ts to death but jail vs keeping my Ts? Id sell them and look into restarting when I got home......... and if they are illegal there, well I would never move where Ts were illegal. :D

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Knowing my dumb butt, I would try to take it, lol. I suggest finding out if they are legal there, then shipping it there. Or have a friend take care of it for him

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also there are a huge number of T sites online in japan...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You guys that are saying take it on the plane are loony toons............. do you have any idea what happens if you get caught? You have to weigh the pros and the cons........

Pros- You get to keep you T.

Cons- You miss your flight, you get arrested for trying to smuggle a live animal to another country without the proper paperwork, you pay fines you might not have the money for because you just bought a plane ticket to Japan, You just skylined youself to the US goverment for breaking the law.

You tell me does that sound worth it?

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i have never taken a t on an international flight..but i did bring all my bugs on the plane with me when i came back from acon last year. i just packed them all like i was going to mail them and stuck them in my backpack snuggly. i used some of my laundry to keep them all secure so they weren't bouncing around. on top of that i put all the empty plastic vials i had left over on top of them in some pathetic attempt to make anyone going through my bag get tired of finding empty plastic vials before reaching the goods at the bottom. i got through without a problem, but i'm not so sure what would've happened if i was selected to have my things gone through.

oh, and about putting the vial in your sock as mentioned...i kinda skimmed over the thread, so if you meant in your sock in your luggage them my mistake..but if you mean the sock you are wearing, it might not be a good idea because a lot of times you have to take off your shoes. if theres a big bulge in your sock..you might have some problems.

as unpleasant as it would be..i would probably just sell the metallica. not only will it put a little extra cash in your pocket which could be of use during a move, it would also allow you to relax while on your flight. i wasn't freaking out nervous..but you better believe i was worried about what could happen.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The baseball cap may have metal grommets on it.. thus requiring it to be removed..
Trust me, the vial in the sock thing works..
I will be doing it again in a month.. if I get a T, while in CA....

I don't encourage doing ANYTHING illegal.. even though I techincally did something bad...
While it may seems to work, your flying domestic, not international, theyare much less strict domestic. Most you would probably get for domestic is a slap on the wrist with that, and you saying you didnt know.

Also they have trained people to look for drugs/hazardous material, do you really think they dont know about the sneaking it in your sock method?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just poked around some at the laws and for the most part things like flying back from acon and such you cant really get in any trouble. Its something legal in the US and just going from point A to point B in the US......... there are something like roaches and other insects you'd have to worry about because of individual state laws, but Ts seem to be in the clear........ international is a whole different deal..... thats not worth the risk.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Discussing ways in which to do something illegal on a public board is not such a good idea in my opinion. This thread should be closed, all it is doing is giving people advice and ideas on how to smuggle animals illegaly. I understand that the spider in question is a valued pet, but I doubt it is worth breaking the law over. Maybe he needs to look at having it shipped over to him legally.

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Discussing ways in which to do something illegal on a public board is not such a good idea in my opinion. This thread should be closed, all it is doing is giving people advice and ideas on how to smuggle animals illegaly. I understand that the spider in question is a valued pet, but I doubt it is worth breaking the law over. Maybe he needs to look at having it shipped over to him legally.
Hallo,

I completely agree.

Mr Rice, I'd advice my friend not to be greedy and selfish, and just find it a good home before he leaves. If he really cares about not risking the spider's fate and wellbeing he'll sell it. Personally I choose not to ship mine back to one of my friends in DE because it just wasn't worth the risk if worse case scenario were to happen with my package, such as severe mishandling en route to DE, or if it gets lost and delayed for example. The spider may arrive half dead or dead and I'd be an idiot for killing it by being greedy. He can always buy a new one there in healthy condition...to me you just have more to lose than to gain.

I wish him good luck though.

Regards,
Ulrich

Edit: Also, I'd like to emphasize that a shipment from the US to DE is already a long route through different post offices and planes...so I can only imagine the even much longer route from US to Japan since that's much far away than Europe. That automatically increases even more the chances of something wrong happening to his prized metallica that he should also be considering, if actually thinking about shipping.

Last edited:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you think you have an ingeneous new place/ method to hide it, you can be 95% positive that the customs already know that place and will check 'if they suspect'

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why not sale it i can not understand he would get some $$$ the ( t ) a new home whats so bad in that ? --- phil

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
110% agree.

AND it will give the Hobby a bad reputation.

Lord knows we have a hard enough time convincing people these critters won't carry off their first born..

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that some here are actively breaking international laws.

In the first point, you're not as anonymous as you think here. You can be traced from your posts (if someone really wanted to follow you up - it'd take some effort though). And apart from that, those laws are there for a very good reason. Japan's climate is probably hospitable to several tarantula species (at least in places) and there is no knowing what impact they might have if they got out.

Besides that, those who have hidden things in socks etc, you're now international criminals. And in many countries, there's no need for you to go to court to establish your guilt in these matters. I know that in New Zealand, for example, you get slapped with an instant NZ$500 fine for ANY infringement of the customs laws (except if it's clear that you really did make a mistake about the rotten banana in the top pocket of your backpack), and that fine can climb pretty quickly to over NZ$10,000 if they believe you're intentionally breaking the law. No court appearance needed.

Of course, they CAN arrest you, and stick you in jail. But the fine is probably preferable.

I really think someone should step in and remove some of the comments here. Suggestions about how to illegally smuggle a live animal into a foreign country?! Cummon... think about it!

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I would part with the T.

<points taken, always read before you post, doh>

Once more though. I would urge your friend to part with the T.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.