Short Lived Male Mantid

Has my telling of my experiences been of any potential help to future mantis people?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As most of you regular readers of this thread know, I have raised several Chinese Mantids from hatching to full adulthood.

I had also posted how I attempted to breed my only male to one of my females. Even though she has produced 2 oothecae I don't believe they are fertile as the adults did not join for any longer then a few seconds. I understand they have to be joined at least 30 minutes for the female to be properly fertilized. The second ootheca she layed was very tiny and looked really shabby.

Now comes the sad part. Within a couple of days of the attempted mating my only male stopped eating. He died a few days later. I know the males die soon after mating but I was surprised that he died so fast. I should have mated him with other females right away, but I wanted to give him a break because when I tried with a different female she attacked him. I had to rescue him from her. LOL Actually all she did was strike at him and he ran like hell.

I found a place that said they had adult males. At $7 each I thought that was kinda high, but in a pinch what can you do? My other females are fat with eggs. I ordered 3 of them and just hope they get here before the female get too old. Does anyone have any idea how long bred and unbred females can live?

Take care all,

Tom

Farom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know the males die soon after mating
This is not true. Your male was probably just old. Males mature quicker and die sooner than females do.
Anyways, good luck with them! Hope your new males get the job done.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First of all the male was not that old. He was the same age as the females as they came out of the same ootheca.

I feel you may have your facts wrong.

Tom

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had males live for a month or more after they were mated.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey tom i think hes thinking of Ameles spallanzania with are really nice to their mates and as a rule dont consume them...
wayne

Kriss

Arachnopeon
Male Praying mantids do not die soon after mating.
They do generally mature quicker than females and do generally have a shorter life span.
Sorry he died but I am sure with three more males on the way you well get her mated :cool:
Good luck :)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's what I though. The only way that the males would die right after mating would be if the females ate them. Although sometimes the females don't give a damn and just eat the males during mating. And even then the headless males conitnue to mate with the females! :eek:

That's both insane and amazing as well. I think I also found a picture online of a pair of Praying Mantises mating and the male has no head! If I find it again I'll post it. But it was both weird and funny looking at the same time. εĭз

Black Widow88