Shipping via USPS?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Hello. Just looking for clarification. I heard it was illegal to ship Ts through USPS. Is this true? What's your experience with USPS shipping?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
this is a very sensitive subject.There are " contract carriers" for the USPS.So far they have no laws
forbidding shipping T,s.YET.But that could change quickly.And if that happens,we are down to one
shipper,FedEx.And they are looking hard at changing that.

We may be looking at no shipping at all of live animals.And then what.....

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I didn't want to start any big discussion. Was just looking for confirmation and that's what I got.

So thanks to everyone who replied.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The moment when you notice that people always fail to realize that, no matter, shipping T's is technically almost illegal everywhere, no matter how much "soft" and with a full "eyes closed" those "delivery" fellas acts.

Problem is (in this case) that (as far as I know) USPS isn't a private delivery mail & such company, but a "direct" Uncle Sam loved one so think about that for that, no matter, there's % chances that a couple of fancy "Italian style dressed" folks with their tie can knock your door.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
A subject brought up on the board will open up discussion.Otherwise don't bring it up
unless you want to talk about it.Yes,its illegal to ship T,s through the USPS.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, as others have said it is illegal to ship USPS. It is not illegal to my knowledge to ship with UPS or Fedex, it is against their 'policy' but not the law.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I
The moment when you notice that people always fail to realize that, no matter, shipping T's is technically almost illegal everywhere, no matter how much "soft" and with a full "eyes closed" those "delivery" fellas acts.

Problem is (in this case) that (as far as I know) USPS isn't a private delivery mail & such company, but a "direct" Uncle Sam loved one so think about that for that, no matter, there's % chances that a couple of fancy "Italian style dressed" folks with their tie can knock your door.
Yes, as others have said it is illegal to ship USPS. It is not illegal to my knowledge to ship with UPS or Fedex, it is against their 'policy' but not the law.
In their terms it's illegal as well law or no law.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway, completely off topic but I have to say, USPS rocks. I have contacts in New Mexico and Arizona, and they ship to me Mexican folk hand made items for my collection (my house is a little Smithsonian). I love "OOS", Omar Duran, Demetrio Garcia, Carlomagno Pedro Martinez (and many more) "Day of the Dead", masks, coyote skulls and other Mexico exquisite folk art. Never missed a parcel, hail to USPS.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm quoting my response to a recent conversation with another user on here...

References:

www.ups.com/animals
"Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:
  • Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal"

http://www.fedex.com/us/government/international/terms.html#liveanimals
"FedEx does not accept live animal shipments as part of its regularly scheduled service. Live animals will be accepted when the shipment is coordinated and approved by the FedEx Live Animal Desk. Acceptable shipments include, but are not limited to, zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) and horses (from gateway to gatewaylocations only). Household pets, such asdomestic cats and dogs, and live fish are not accepted. For more information, contact the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 1.800.405.9052."

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_016.htm
"Under the respective provisions in 39 U.S.C. 3015(a), (b), or (d), the following items are nonmailable:
  1. Any injurious animal, the importation or interstate shipment of which is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. 42."

It is actually illegal to ship through any carrier. Period. The reasons vary, but for tarantulas, it is illegal (or at least against rules) across the board. FedEx is the most lenient, but if you press them for an answer through that phone number (as I have), you will get a firm 'no'. The only exception is for businesses who go through inspection and whatnot through FedEx, as ShipYourReptiles has. There's a reason they have a corner on that market, and why anyone would need to go through them to ship.

RobynTRR

Arachnosquire
At ShipYourReptiles, we are CLOSE to having full invert shipping (including T's), but not quite. The last step is getting packaging approved and establishing the packaging standard with FedEx, which we are working on right now. It has been a long, slow process, years worth.

I think after some rhythm and comfort has been established, the certification process will probably open up to everyone, as with certification for live reptile shipping. It's just been a real bear getting this first phase done.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hello. Just looking for clarification. I heard it was illegal to ship Ts through USPS. Is this true? What's your experience with USPS shipping?
I dont know what y'all post offices tell y'all but in Boston MA you can ship Ts through the mail I did it last month AFTER asking two different employees in person

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I dont know what y'all post offices tell y'all but in Boston MA you can ship Ts through the mail I did it last month AFTER asking two different employees in person
What do you think will hold up in court - hearsay of two employees who will certainly deny their claims, or the official statement here explicitly forbidding shipping "any injurious animal"?

Hint: you won't end up ahead. USPS is a government agency. Their core rules do not vary from state to state regarding these matters.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Doesn't matter. I've heard here about "FedEx", about delivery guys that, after handling the parcel to the customers, joked with those about the T's inside.

"How many this time?" and things like that, but means nothing because, at the end, you can't, technically. Still IMO seems a "Meh" attitude in general by those in the "high roofs" of that private company.

With USPS you risk, since is full Uncle Sam children, the visit of a couple of FBI yahoo, like in the movies :-s

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
What do you think will hold up in court - hearsay of two employees who will certainly deny their claims, or the official statement here explicitly forbidding shipping "any injurious animal"?

Hint: you won't end up ahead. USPS is a government agency. Their core rules do not vary from state to state regarding these matters.
I'm just stating my situation, said I never said anything about court.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm just stating my situation, said I never said anything about court.
You situation is identical to every one of our's: shipping tarantulas through USPS is illegal. My point is that you shouldn't follow the advice of under informed, low level employees at the post office. Even if you spoke to a manager, that is still low level in the grand scheme of things. Anything and everything they say is overridden by USPS's official stance on the matter.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The UPS, FedEx and USPS the employees there know what I'm shipping. They may not read their own policy that well to really understand what's illegal or legal and even if they read their policy thoroughly they're not concern of what is being shipped, that being said it doesn't mean that it's legal to ship our tarantulas. Now if it was liquid or any type of flammable materials they will certainly make a fuzz about it.

I've known a few people that have been busted for shipping tarantulas through USPS and it wasn't pleasant for them.