shipping stories

cold blood

Staff member
I received a B.hamorii (ex.smithi) from another keeper. She said she had experience with shipping, so I agreed. Poor thing came in a cardboard box with plastic box in it which was two times its DLS with a little substrate in it, which was all over her as well. She was lucky to be alive, getting tossed like that.
I messaged the sender furiously, her argument was that this was how she got it as well. I asked where she got it, she says 'at an expo'. I facepalmed so hard my nose hurt for days....:shifty:
That poor spider.:confused:

So what was her shipping experience? :shifty:

Poor spider...glad its in good hands now.

An Expo????? So she thought that you shipped spiders how you buy them in person? Would someone please slap her? For me? I'll buy you a slurpee
:rofl::rofl:hilarious...you're killin' me.:rofl::rofl:

Hopefully I never have to ship someone that big. A friend of mine got rid of his collection and had to ship a 7" regalis. That, my fellow arachnoculturists, was a war.
Curious as to the method used. I use a funnel and they just walk right in...or in the case of non avic types, run right in. For me NW terrestrials and some baboons are the most time consuming...along with those lolligaggin' Avics.

NW terrestrials can be nearly impossible to motivate sometimes:banghead:...sometimes baboons just turn around right at the entrance to the container and start posturing and slapping the funnel...You pretty much have to get it out and start over....and over:shifty: Avics get almost all the way in, taking their time, then just as you think you're done, they instantly turn around and exit:rage:....they'll get the whole body in, and 7 legs, but leave that one for you to deal with and, bam, you're back to square one as its walking towards you.:meh:

I know the feeling with dealing with that old world speed. I'm packing a mature male S.calceatum right now and I'll let everyone know how it goes...
Never dealt with S. cal...I could see that going all kinds of fun ways. :confused::astonished:

And done. Now to get him to FedEx before close
The tape job:rofl:

They don't have clear tape in your parts.o_O

I know, I know...its whats on the inside that matters.:zipit:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is why I always pack during the day. I don't need little such and suches going all uncanny X-Men meets Dragonball Z on me
I usually put the Ts I ship out into a temp deli cups the night before to help out with morning packing before I have to go to work. I'd guess he was calmer this morning because he wasn't being outed from his established home. It took a bit to work him out of the heavy webbing he had put down. Once he did he dodged the deli cup and tried to run for the hills. That's one of the great things about that table. They get to the edge and the tuck into the dip at the edge. I've only had one arboreal to jump off in all the Ts I have worked with.

They can be quick.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
That poor spider.:confused:

So what was her shipping experience? :shifty:

Poor spider...glad its in good hands now.

:rofl::rofl:hilarious...you're killin' me.:rofl::rofl:

Curious as to the method used. I use a funnel and they just walk right in...or in the case of non avic types, run right in. For me NW terrestrials and some baboons are the most time consuming...along with those lolligaggin' Avics.

NW terrestrials can be nearly impossible to motivate sometimes:banghead:...sometimes baboons just turn around right at the entrance to the container and start posturing and slapping the funnel...You pretty much have to get it out and start over....and over:shifty: Avics get almost all the way in, taking their time, then just as you think you're done, they instantly turn around and exit:rage:....they'll get the whole body in, and 7 legs, but leave that one for you to deal with and, bam, you're back to square one as its walking towards you.:meh:

Never dealt with S. cal...I could see that going all kinds of fun ways. :confused::astonished:

The tape job:rofl:

They don't have clear tape in your parts.o_O

I know, I know...its whats on the inside that matters.:zipit:
I prefer duct tape because when it's covered with duct tape you know it's sealed.

RobynTRR

Arachnosquire
I would strongly advise against using duct tape for your shipments. It is sticky, yes, but it also catches on everything. It rolls up from contact with your hand, other boxes, and more critically, on the sorting belts and chutes at FedEx. FedEx sorting staffers hate it because it causes issues, and that can lead to some detrimental handling as well ("ugh, toss this box over THERE").

The rubber based shipping tape at Uline is excellent, strong, and sticks very well.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I would strongly advise against using duct tape for your shipments. It is sticky, yes, but it also catches on everything. It rolls up from contact with your hand, other boxes, and more critically, on the sorting belts and chutes at FedEx. FedEx sorting staffers hate it because it causes issues, and that can lead to some detrimental handling as well ("ugh, toss this box over THERE").

The rubber based shipping tape at Uline is excellent, strong, and sticks very well.
Ive had the uline tape break on me before, it's one reason I won't use it. However they normally go over my duct tape with a layer of packing tape at my local FedEx. They know me here...

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Hopefully I never have to ship someone that big. A friend of mine got rid of his collection and had to ship a 7" regalis. That, my fellow arachnoculturists, was a war.
I'd pack a stirmi 100 times over packing a 7" pokie. I'm not even sure how you would pack a 7" pokie.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I'd pack a stirmi 100 times over packing a 7" pokie. I'm not even sure how you would pack a 7" pokie.
We used a large Tupperware, lots of paper towel, large forceps, and a bunch of calm. The original plan was to put the Tupperware in the enclosure, and then goad her into it. Her plan, unfortunately was not to go anywhere, and then to Bolt crazily once we got her moving. It took four hours. But either she gave up or she lost, but we didn't win.

We used a large Tupperware, lots of paper towel, large forceps, and a bunch of calm. The original plan was to put the Tupperware in the enclosure, and then goad her into it. Her plan, unfortunately was not to go anywhere, and then to Bolt crazily once we got her moving. It took four hours. But either she gave up or she lost, but we didn't win.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Not me brother. I can deal with fast. I've shipped adult pokies before but I can't deal with my skin burning.

You just need a good plan. I moved it into the 32 oz catch cup and then I used a 2 liter coke bottle to funnel it into the deli cup I was shipping it in. Put the paper towel on top and you are done. No hairs no burning. :)