shipping mice and rats

mamadori

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me how to ship frozen mice and rats? THat is....without dry ice.
THank you in advance,
kami
MamaDori

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can't get dry ice or you don't want to use it? Most localities have a supplier, around here its AirGas which does a lot of gas for welding/industrial and medical uses.

Another route would be you could probably order dry ice and have it shipped to you. I know when I buy frozen rodents in bulk the box usually comes with a huge block that lasts for up to a week or more if kept in the box with insulation with minimal exposure to air, in the freezer.

Other than that the best advice I can give is ship in a really well insulated box with actual home insulation, lots of long lasting ice packs, and ship in really cold temps.

Aside from that I don't know if I would really recommend it without the use of dry ice. Are you selling your own rodents or...what?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think there is any way to ship them, except with dry ice. Even if you overnighted them well insulated with cold packs, I would be afraid they would start to thaw.

mamadori

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to breed them for a reptile person who I had to confiscate one of my animals from for abuse. I don't want to deal with her anymore of course. And I have a whole room full of breeder mice and rats that I hate to waste. And I was using the money to offset the costs of my animal rescue. I can't sell them to the pet store b/c they are loyal to me and I don't want to step on the toes of the guy who does it for them.

I think you have to have special licensing to use dry ice and I have not been able to figure out how to do that. I don't know where to check on that if it is a law or not. I can wait until the USDA comes to inspect my facilities cause they are cvoming any way. I just figured I would have to figure it out on my own. So far my luck has not been good with info. I really enjoy breeding them and don't want to stop but it is a lot of manpower if I can't get rid of them. Plus I just bought a HUGE gargantuous freezer. lol