She's showing off her (tiger) rump?!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that's a beautiful tarantula. Does anyone know why a tarantula would evolve to have a colourful display on its abdomen? Usually in nature a colourful display is a warning of venom or distasteful flesh or some form of defensive capabilities. As there are no truly venomous tarantulas, and none are big enough to defend against large predators, why do you think some species have a colourful display on the body or legs (eg brachypelmas etc)? Thanks,

Dan.

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
Because it just hair, not there skin. If it was skin then i wouldnt say anything but its not...........and they are venomus!!! I saw a T take out a snake one time, i also saw a mantis take out a garden snake one time(NOt one of those huge mantis's either, like the ones u find in ur backyard)!

"I farted on your mothers face last night..."
~Neil Diamond~

Bridget

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a beautiful T! I can't wait until ours gets bigger. I believe you are the one that sent it to us as a freebie :} It's getting a fat abdomen on it and you can see all its little designs..so cool. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Bridget

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Being so small ours isnt showing that coloring yet. But it was interesting showing Amanda what her baby would grow into. LOL, i asked her " Which one of ours is going to look like that when it grows up?" She didnt know because of how it is currently.
That picture is a very nice T.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What impresses me is that the spiderlings look almost exactly like the adults.

Not many species display the adult colour so soon.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ours only has a bit of the coloring, i wonder if that means it wont be a very colorful adult? Not that its a big matter to me, just kind of curious.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Tiger rump (Which everyone says isn't a very aggressive spider) LOVES to raise it's butt in the air and occasionally even 'strike' (It doesn't really do a threat posture.)

And it's not even an inch long yet.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
*sigh* Yes, that's why I love my tiger. I have no idea what it is yet..I'm guessing female, by looking underneath. He/she seems to love to totally mangle its exuvium. I was going to send the last one to Swifty, but all I got was a few legs, and a mangled mass of who knows what..
Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
This is without a doubt my favorite species of T. Mine just molted recently, and did the same thing you spoke of, Gillian. Mine also sticks it's rear up alot, but usually the spinnerettes are working like knitting needles. It seems to be either sitting, hiding under it's substrate rug, or webbing. Doesn't do anything else, but by far the most active T I have. I think they should be a staple in anyone's collection

Bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
True, very true. A worthy addition. Reasonably priced, relatively carefree, and GORGEOUS! I love holding mine up to sunlight, right after it molts. The color on the cephalothorax is breathtaking..:) Btw, hold the phone..I think its molting.. Has been burrowed in for a week now..
Peace,
Gillian

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG! What a beauty!! Being an arachno-nerd is a good reason to be rich :eek:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This thread made me go check up on it and she's/he's in Usambara mood today. Butt so far in the air he fell over onto his back. I was touching the dirt next to him/her with a pair of tweasers. I started touching the dirt near the front of him (I never did touch the spider, although I got close to a leg once) and he struck at it twice and made a mad dash onto my hand. Kinda scared me, he's a little moody. Calmed down once he was on my hand, though.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My tiger rump sling never shows aggression, butt loves sticking its rump in the air.

On a side note, what is that patch of hairs that looks different from the rest of the rump? Is that its only patch of urticating hairs?

Bd

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dunno, it's kinda annoying though -- It screws with the design!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
My tiger rump sling never shows aggression, butt loves sticking its rump in the air.

On a side note, what is that patch of hairs that looks different from the rest of the rump? Is that its only patch of urticating hairs?

Bd
Yes indeed, and nick, it's like the foci of the abdomen design, I think it looks really cool. Mine, and most others I've seen have a really cool sheen to them, almost makes it look gold in the right light

Bill