She's not the typical blue gal...

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I first got my H. Lividium, she was a holly terror, very jumpy, quick to lunge or stand in an aggressive stance, etc...

It's been about 2 weeks, and I swear, she's not the cobalt that others describe. She's a good eater, but BOY, she takes her TIME. Usually, she'll let me drop a cricket in, then maybe walk over to it nice and slow until she's hovering above it - or sometimes she waits until the cricket to crawl beneath her...then she just slowly scoops it up and munches away...such a slow, strange way to catch prey...

But that's not all.

She eats absolutely everything I throw in - if it's two or three at a time, then its two or three in her mouth at once - just not too "excited" about it.

She stays out in the open pretty much all the time, though she spends at most a few hours in her burrow every day. She doesn't spook when I move near her anymore. She's calm with me lifting the lid of her cage. In fact, the only thing she really seems to make a fuss about is getting misted...

Strange girl. FYI, tho...I don't plan on sticking my hand in her cage just yet...maybe this is still "settling in"...but I thought I would share...

-Faunya

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whats the temperature in its cage?

also what kind of burrow did it make?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When my sling was about to molt it displayed the exact same characteristics as you describe, almost sluggish in her eating, took food with the attitude of "i might as well, as long as its right below my mouth", and waited for the cricket to go right to her before she slowly picked it up with her fangs. Then she molted 3 days later.

Mark

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, she's kept at about 80 degrees F, on about 5-6 inches of potting soil (soon she'll be on peat moss, though - spring). Around 75-80% humidity, and she's about 4 - 4 1/2 inches or so.

I don't think it's getting close to moult...she's way too blue. She doesn't seem really lethargic or anything...just...mellow. It's actually kinda neat. I'd be very proud to own a "tame" cobalt blue.

-Faunya

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My blue likes to spend a lot of time underground. She only likes to come out when it's dark. Kind of a bummer, I wish she was a little more on the calm side. She's a pretty high strung little thing but she also eats everything I give her, though I just do one cricket at a time so none go sneaking into her tunnel.
Anyway, I think I just have a typical blue? She sounds like just the opposite of yours.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She eats absolutely everything I throw in
i can relate. once i was cleaning remains out of my H. lividums enclosure. i dropped my tweezers, which landed near the opening of her burrow. soon as they hit the ground, her legs were seen in a flash out of her burrow, and before i knew it she had struck and tried to drag them away.
My blue likes to spend a lot of time underground
i havent seen mine in a month and a half. the only evidence shes still around is the dissapearing crix, and the little flap of web/peat she pushes over the entrance of her burrow when i mist. like a little umbrella, then she removes it after im done. guess she hates getting wet:rolleyes: .

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Faunya
When I first got my H. Lividium, she was a holly terror,
-Faunya
Hey now! Don't be comparing me to an H lividum LOL!!!!

I just love typos ;)

Ok, on topic, I don't consider either of mine terrors either. Once they made their burrows, they are content to sit at the bottom, and wait for me to drop a mealworm in. At night, they come up and get a drink, but they are fairly calm, and don't mind a flashlight shown on them. I think the more comfortable they are, the less agression is shown by them

Holley

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hlividum

Ok I dont have a H.lividum but I do have 4 subspieces of Haplopelma, I think she's doing this on purpose. I can just see her devising a plan to sink her fangs in your hand. Lets see if I act like a calm T, and be kind of melow maybe that big blurry thing will actually try to get near me then bam I will suprise the bejesus out of it and let that thing know that yes ,I was just acting :D :D :D ;P ;P never ever underestimate a Haplopelma
Doug

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Hlividum

Originally posted by Doug H
Ok I dont have a H.lividum but I do have 4 subspieces of Haplopelma, I think she's doing this on purpose. I can just see her devising a plan to sink her fangs in your hand. Lets see if I act like a calm T, and be kind of melow maybe that big blurry thing will actually try to get near me then bam I will suprise the bejesus out of it and let that thing know that yes ,I was just acting :D :D :D ;P ;P never ever underestimate a Haplopelma
Doug

LMAO! I'm sure not going to try and second-guess her intentions...in my opinion, haplopelma = = evil, and no exceptions!
My hand isn't going near her!
-Faunya