She came out

SwEeTeSt-KiLLeR

Arachnopeon
i had posted about my G. Rosea (thread...A spider newbie..05-26-2003) about her webbing herself inside the piece of bark i had provided for her

she had come out 3 days ago sometime through the night and had gone back in by morning...i know this because of footprints in the sand.. (i know remove sand please..more substrate..this was not done yet cause it was suggested to not bother her much if she was molting) ...she is now out ....

you can see by the pic the neat little hole that she can go in and out of..doesnt appear as if she has gone back in

there is neither a shed skin nor an egg sac..which was another suggestion as to why she had done this...soooooo why was this done? maybe just a summer retreat :} who knows...lol

my question now is....can a spider stop a molt from happening? (me thinking this is not possible once the process has started) and how often does a spider molt?

does this depend on the type of spider and age?

:?

by the way..this forum is a great place to come for info..find myself on here every morning with my coffee..thanks again

SwEEtS

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I've read G rosea has a sometimes odd molting cycle. They can actually skip molts. :?

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure she has water because she is getting ready to molt, notice the bald spots on the abdomen are shiny black? well that is the new Exoskeleton growing. Best of luck to you

Sincerely,

Brandon

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by atmosphere
From what I've read G rosea has a sometimes odd molting cycle. They can actually skip molts. :?
They don't skip molts, as such. Every tarantula molts as it's body tells it to do so. They possess what are know as slit sensilae. These "slits" tell the tarantula when it's body is stretched to the limit, time to molt! They haven't been researched much in tarantulas, but have been in scorpions.

Cheers,
Steve