Shaky hands? Bothriurus Q.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I looked in at one of my Bothruirus coriaceus tonight and what I saw was mildly worrying. It's right pedipalp and chelicera were extended in a way that might be called 'limp'. The pedipalp also shook or twitched a little, as it reacted to my opening it's tub.

It's a wild-caught scorp. I bought it two months ago as a possibly gravid female. I've kept it on dry sand with a little dry coir added. It seems content to use a hide, though the loose sand doesn't offer many burrowing opportunities. That should be fixed soon. It's kept at room temperature, roughly 68F at this time of the year. I give one side of the tub a light spray of water, once a week or less. It's been off it's food a few weeks. My other two coriaceus seem to be fine.

Any pointers or advice? I'm a little worried about parasites or mycosis (not much experience with desert scorps), but if anyone could offer an opinion one way or the other, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your description is consistent with scorpion behaviour during pre molt.
I watched my A. mauritanicus do the exact same thing 5 days ago. It was in a weird position and was shaking. It molted within the next 3 hours. So your scorp may not be gravid, and will molt soon.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a relief. I haven't seen the behaviour in any of my other scorpions (yet), so I thought it was a little unusual.

Thanks!