Sexing

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gooooooood morning! I'm a beginner in this hobby..well scorps anyway, and have 2 "teenage" emps. I was just wandering on A). how often they should be fed, and B). how I might go about sexing them. I have 3 Ts as of now, h. lividum, b. albo, and p. murinus...usambra color morph....of course this being besides the point. Anyway, any good tips and info would be VERY much appreciated.

By the way, Scott...the site is looking great. I've been here for a while before, but lost internet connection for a while there. Don't remember what my name was on here...but yeah, it looks a lot better since then. And also, very good caresheets...they helped me a great deal in purchasing my emps.

Marcus

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed my eps 3-4 crickets (or a big cockroach) once a week, and it seems to be more than adequate.

The key to sexing scorpions is to examine the comb-shaped organs on the underside known as pectines. The easiest way to do this is place the scorpion in a clear deli cup or other container and look at them from the bottom. Males have longer pectine "teeth" than females. If you're lucky and you have a pair, it will be very obvious which is which, but if they're the same sex, it will be harder to recognize without an opposite to compare with. Manny Rubio's book "Scorpions, A coplete Pet Owner's Manual" has pictures on page 77 of the pectines of male and female H. spinifer, a species simmilar enough that you can see what you're looking for.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Marcus,

Welcome to the wonderful world of scorpions. Wade is right on with both the feeding and sexing. For sexing, you can also try this link.

Cheers,
Dave

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just love these little guys! Man, I can't get over it. I'm almost positive I have a male and a female, but I can't be 100% sure until I study a little harder. Clutch, the smaller...think he's a male...has a bad disposition, doesn't like to be handled all that much and when I put him down he goes off and hides..or he starts swinging his little claws at me. The other...nameless as of now and potential female, is larger and quite a bit more active. "She" seems to enjoy being handled and getting to run around, once I pick her up she's all over the place, and if I put her down she just runs around and then back to me with her claws up like.."pick me up daddy". hehe. Its great. Anyway, thank you both VERY much for the help and the warm welcome. I'm sure it will be a blast.

Marcus