Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Sexing Scutigeromorpha

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by kermitdsk, May 16, 2019.

1. kermitdsk

kermitdsk Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Because there was a question how to sexing Scutigeromorpha, I decided to explain it in this thread on the example of Thereuopoda longicornis.

Scutigeromorpha have a sexual dimorphism, so it's really easy for anyone to see which sex the Scutigeromorpha has, without any equipment.

0.1 Thereuopoda longicornis
    P1010018.JPG

P1010008.JPG
    Females, unlike the males, have an elongated genital organ, it looks like an aditional smal body segment. Furthermore females have two gonopos, which look like tongs.

1.0 Thereuopoda longicornis
    P1010011.JPG

P1010026.JPG
    Males don't have this aditional body segment. There genital organ looks shorter and they have four straight (not like tongs) gonopods.

That's it! I hope this helps everybody who is interessted in these pedes ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I'm not a huge centipede person, but I find these guys so cool

3. Euscorpius

Euscorpius Arachnopeon

It also works for stone centipedes (Lithobiomorpha). Here in Friuli we have a "big" species of Eupolybothrus that grows up to 5 - 6 cm / 2" BL, they are pretty easy to sex.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.