Sexing juveniles

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 5 B. albopilosum from the same eggsac and I was wondering if it's possible to sex them by size. They're all over an inch now, but three are significantly larger than the other two. Are the three larger ones more likely to be female?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
GG -

According to Rick West, you can do it reliably with his guide.
It's here if you haven't seen it yet.

Bill

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, With experience, most Brachypelma can be sexed via molt @ 2 inches in leg span. (roughly speaking) (I also check the epiandrous glands.) You can't just look at a couple of specimens though, I am talking about looking at a whole lot of specimens and over some time, it can be easy. I have been "attempting" to sex T's for almost 20 years, but have only known what I was doing for about 10. For the smaller T's like the 2 inch size, I use an 16X eye loupe, but really, if it is developed all that much, you can see with the naked eye. Yes, males mature faster and "generally speaking" will molt before and be a little larger than their sisters. So...like you said, if you have 3 out of the 5 that are larger, and if they have molted before and more often than the other 2, if kept in the same conditions and fed the same as the others, their is a good chance these are males, but don't count on it, It is the most unreliable method of sexing, and they alway seem to prove you wrong.

Take Care, Dean