Sexing Different Species of Scorpions

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Photos: Anuroctonus species

The photos below illustrate the secondary aculear bulb of adult males of Anuroctonus species (A. phaiodactylus & A. pococki: Iuridae) in comparison to the typical telson (aculeus) of females:

Photos 1 & 2: Adult males A. pococki
Photos 3 & 4: Adult females A. pococki

Luc

Attachments

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two Imperators and I cannot figure out the difference between the male and female. Those large pictures look the same to me except for the level of lighting/flash. I tried taking photos but I can't get a clear shot of the underbelly. Not clear enough to count the ridges, anyway.

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why did this thread stop? Rise my dead thread rise!!!Any new info on sexing? I could really use some tips for sexing Lq's.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
L. q.

I responded in your thread but I guess I'll post here too. I don't have a picture of a female's pectines with me, just the male's.

If they are siblings it will not hurt to breed them. Females are bigger and usually more robust looking. The one way to check is to count the pectines but being that this species is pretty dangerous it won't be easy. The easy way to remember is if you are getting a count in the 30's it is a male and a count in the 20's is female. You can look up the exact numbers but you can pretty much tell without counting. If the pectines are close together and long you have a male. here is a shot of one of my male's pectines.

You see how they meet in a V at the base? A female's won't meet like that. They will be shorter and further apart like this \ /

This is the easist way I have found to get a shot. Get them in a clear cup and take a macro shot from underneath.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks a lot. I figured that this might be better for anyone else thats looking for questions on sexing thanks for replying to both post.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lychas mucronatus males have a "curved" palp while females don't.

Since this picture is gone, I will show one of my female. See how the fingers close together when closed. || the male's are curved and a gap is created by the curve like this ()

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm suprised that theres nothing here on Flatrocks. I guess because of the disagreements people have when sexing them. But I'm pretty sure H. paucidens are easily diferentuated. Males will have noticibly long tails in comparison to their body while females have a stubby small tail. Male_____>, Female __>

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm suprised that theres nothing here on Flatrocks. I guess because of the disagreements people have when sexing them. But I'm pretty sure H. paucidens are easily diferentuated. Males will have noticibly long tails in comparison to their body while females have a stubby small tail. Male_____>, Female __>
Here is a pic of my female, I don't have a male but they have an elongated metasoma.

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is the way to sex the genera Pandinus and Heterometrus
and lots of others..

More missing pictures! :(

I'll contribute my Pandinus imperator sexing photos, which should work for most if not all Pandinus and Heterometrus species.

Male:

Female:

The pectine and tooth size differences are very visible in these photos, as is the difference in the genital operculum.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpio maurus fuscus

A very defined difference in pectine size clearly illustrates the different gender with Scorpio maurus fuscus.

Heres the male

and heres the female

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rigelus.. Thanks for posting the pics. the moment i saw them i immdeiately went to check my S maurus and was able to confirm i have a male. Now to find a female for him.....

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is a pic of my female, I don't have a male but they have an elongated metasoma.
This is a crappy picture of a male. YOu can see compared to the female the metasoma is longer altough my bad photography cut most of it out the picture. It's a young male.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like comapred segment length than overall, which as you said is elongated on males. This is male, see segment IV, that was a direct tip-off to me.

Edit: James, you sure thats female? I guess your right abot a bit of dissary in the sexing of them, cause yours looks male to me, lol. :) Notice how it matches both the succeeding pictures.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:? Both of Jamesc H. paucidens look like females to me:? . In the pics of males I've seen the "stinger" is about 1/2 the length of the 4th segment of the metasoma. Both the pics look very much like my female.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I responded in your thread but I guess I'll post here too. I don't have a picture of a female's pectines with me, just the male's.

If they are siblings it will not hurt to breed them. Females are bigger and usually more robust looking. The one way to check is to count the pectines but being that this species is pretty dangerous it won't be easy. The easy way to remember is if you are getting a count in the 30's it is a male and a count in the 20's is female. You can look up the exact numbers but you can pretty much tell without counting. If the pectines are close together and long you have a male. here is a shot of one of my male's pectines.

You see how they meet in a V at the base? A female's won't meet like that. They will be shorter and further apart like this \ /

This is the easist way I have found to get a shot. Get them in a clear cup and take a macro shot from underneath.
For some reason I can't edit this post so I will put the missing picture back of the L. q. pectines. (and yes my H. paucidens is female)

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Uroctonus mordax

Uroctonus mordax males have a split genital operculum and in females it is fused. I only have a male so if anyone has a female shot please add it.

here it is circled

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Female U. mordax:

The pectines in the female look a little "straighter" as well; I'm not sure if this is an indicator or just a coincidence.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well from what I can tell now (altough my lq's aren't mature yet) It seems like I have one male and one female. I'll wait to they get bigger to get exited but for right now i'm keeping my fingers crossed. THanks for the info JamesC. Hopefully by the time they get bigger I'll have a new camera and will post up pictures to see what you guys think.