Sex this (not quite a mess) too

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
449
Ok here's the exuvium from my newly molted T Blondi. Anyone want to venture a guess as to the sex? I'm kinda new to this but I have my own suspicions that it's a boyT.



Jeff
 

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Messages
128
Im no expert either, But It looks like a male to me as well.

But I could be wrong.

...

-Jason
 

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Messages
128
See, now.. Im trying to learn, What do you see there that indicates female?

I guess im looking in the wrong area, at the wrong thing? :?

-Jason
 

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 17, 2002
Messages
3,955
look between the first set of booklungs (the white things!). I'm talking the booklungs on the LEFT side of the pic. Now, between them is a ridge, or flap....
If that is really 'sticking up' which it looks like it is....then it's a female. That is the area that you look at, between the first set of booklungs
 

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Messages
1,056
Ok, I'm not sure I'm seeing the "leaf"... is this where it is?

kellygirl
 
Last edited:

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Messages
939
I'd say female...see in front of your arrow.The whole triangular peice is solid indicating female.Now if it were male the darker brown spot in front (left) of the arrow wouldn't be there but rather fuscillae(little tubulars) from which the male spins webbing for holding sperm.Also it's the fuscillae(sp) are present on males from a very early age helping to be able to sex even at very young ages and not having to wait for the males to reach maturity(hooks) to identify gender.I' may stand to be corrected but from what I've researched that's what I've come to learn and have been using that method for sexing T's myself.Hopefully I'm correct....peace..
 
Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
1,937
Originally posted by kellygirl
Ok, I'm not sure I'm seeing the "leaf"... is this where it is?

kellygirl
Yep, that's it Kelly

Originally posted by pelo
I'd say female...see in front of your arrow.The whole triangular peice is solid indicating female.Now if it were male the darker brown spot in front (left) of the arrow wouldn't be there but rather fuscillae(little tubulars) from which the male spins webbing for holding sperm.Also it's the fuscillae(sp) are present on males from a very early age helping to be able to sex even at very young ages and not having to wait for the males to reach maturity(hooks) to identify gender.I' may stand to be corrected but from what I've researched that's what I've come to learn and have been using that method for sexing T's myself.Hopefully I'm correct....peace..
Pelo, you have the idea right, but you're looking in the wrong spot. The fusilae are on the outer surface of the opisthosoma. That picture is of the inside. For the fusilae you want to look in the same spot, but on the outside of the T. The beauty of the Epiandrous fusilae method is that you don't need an exuvia to do it. You can just look at any t and figure out what sex it is.

Scott
 

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
449
Thanks for the input (and lesson).

I am going to bring the exuvium to someone tonight that has more experience with this (Philth you working tonight?) and hopefully we can come to some conclusion. If not I'll send it off to either e-spiderworld or swiftinverts for their expert input.

In any case this is one interesting T and the growth with this molt seems to have been significant (i'll know more in a few days).

Jeff
 

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Messages
939
Now if I just learn my insides from outsides I'm laughing..lol...I knew I was on the right track though.I'm still a novice at this but I can go into any petstore and sex them now.I carry my maglite and magnifier,turn the T around in the container so it's underside is viewable and it's quite easy to see and sex.Only ones I've had real difficulty with is B.vagans.They're all black underneath(young ones anyways) and it's real hard to see,so I bought 3 of them..lol..hopefully one will be female.Quite an easy method once you see it and note the difference.....peace
 

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
4,918
I'm as bad at sexing as I was at rolling in the 70s. But I was going to say female! (What is the prize!):D
 

extrovertinvert

Arachnopeon
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
31
ok can someone show me how to do the fuscilae method or however you spell it. that would be better for me because my T's seem to like to eat their exuvium.
 

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Messages
1,056
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
ok can someone show me how to do the fuscilae method or however you spell it. that would be better for me because my T's seem to like to eat their exuvium.
This page is VERY helpful:

http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html

It goes in depth in words but it's also got really good picture comparisons. Even the layman should be able to sex with some degree of accuracy from this method.

kellygirl
 

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
718
this was pretty helpful on sexing T's it gave me alittle better of an idea on how to do it:D
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
i would love to see a picture of a shed male skin and the differences there. anyone have a thread where this was evident? thanks a lot guys. i loooove these forums. :)
 

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
449
Immortal_sin, good link. What would you diagnose my T. blondi to be? SheT or HeT?

Jeff
 

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 17, 2002
Messages
3,955
Originally posted by jcohen9999
Immortal_sin, good link. What would you diagnose my T. blondi to be? SheT or HeT?

Jeff
check page one! I sided with Brandon on her ...I'm fairly confident you have a girl :)
 
Top