sex these Ts! (a challenge)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hope the pics are good, can you guys try sexing these? let me know if you need better pics. however, i've been astounded by some of you being able to use horrid pics. ;) good luck!

A. avic

B. albo

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
That is a tough one, but if I had to guess I'd say both are male.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
no clue on pic 1, but I'd guess female on pic 2.
Is there an actual 'bump' on her underside? (where the flash is shining). An adult female will have a bump, which protrudes a bit, and it's sceloterized = hardened (sp?)

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
...and she knows more than me by FAR so listen to her! :D

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hmmm. im fairly new to this, but im going to say male on the A. avic. its very dark and i cant make out much, but im pretty certain thats the epigastric furrow i can see, and it looks very straight, no curve at all. the curly i say female, for much the same reason Holley did.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, on the A. avic i must say i'm terribly disappointed, i LOVE this T. SO sweet and SO docile. -sob-

on the B. albo though, this is one of two that i have and it is growing MUCH faster than another...i believe they are siblings...wouldn't this suggest that it's male? it's about twice the size of the other.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
a clearer pic of the B. albo might help. we are just going on that glint of light shining off of what appears to be a sceloterized lip on the epigastric furrow.( correct me if im wrong) i cant make anything else out, but with a better pic maybe we can try and check for the epiandrous fussilae,which would prove it a male. i havent mastered this by a longshot, but i am always ready to practice:rolleyes: . of course i guess with a better pic we could just as easily see if there really is a lip on the epigastric furrow too... bah:8o

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Sexing

Originally posted by spideys1969
my guess......send me a skin.....then ill guess

I second what he said. I can sex from a shed skin (provided it isn't ripped up the way most of my critters tear it), but not from looking at the underside of a spider. Sexing from a skin is probably much more accurate anyway, from what I understand.

Wysi

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well don't have a skin for the A. avic and that's the one i'm most unsure about honestly.

can you guys tell me what to look for in order to sex? any good sites/links?

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both look female to me I can see clear disting white humps (so to speak) one on each tarantula.

Sincerely,

Brandon

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
let me know if you need better pics. however, i've been astounded by some of you being able to use horrid pics. ;)

I can make a guess using any old pic ;). Don't assume anyone's guess is correct. It would be interesting to do a study that quantifies the rate of success of these guesses. My estimate (and also only a guess) would be in the range of 75%. I've looked at a fair number of species and sizes in person and in the case of smaller spiders I'm only confident with T. blondi and some Brachypelma sp., but I might just be an underacheiver. I don't like to consider a gender determination too reliable unless the tarantula is large or I have a good exuvium to look at. As fun as it is, all this guessing with fuzzy pictures makes me think of chicken entrails.

Steve

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so...is your guess male or female? if i had them out and about the pics would be more clear, however, they are made through plastic as i don't keep mine in glass tanks. (shrug)

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wont venuture a guess, since I wouldn't have any confidence in it myself ;). My point is just that even with a lot of guesses, you're just going to be left with an average guess. As fun as that is, to be sure about it you'll need a molt or an examination by someone who's confident with the procedure.

Steve