Serradigitus gertschi striatus

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all!

Ive been away for a long time, but now I am back with a question.

Is Serradigitus gertschi striatus communal or for that matter are any Serradigitus or "saw fingers"?

Thanks!

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Yes they are! and you can find them not far from where your located :p they also seem to practice negative geotaxis

Kevin

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Kevin, just curious, but where do you get your knowledge that Serradigitus are communal? Is this from personal experience, natural observation, or reading? I only ask because I don't know you yet, and I've never heard this before. Thanks. :)

kevin88

Arachnopeon
hmm I don't recall where I read about it but I do have personal experience. I had a colony of 20 or so individuals and after a year I only had 1 death of unkown cause. It wasn't a large enclosure or anything. They walk all over each other without problems.

Also out in the field you will often find 2 or 3 under the same rock within inches of each other. At night when blacklighting you will often find a rock outcrop and they will be within close proximity....every foot or so.

Hope this helps
Kevin

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've found up to 7 or 8 under a single rock before:D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmm I don't recall where I read about it but I do have personal experience. I had a colony of 20 or so individuals and after a year I only had 1 death of unkown cause. It wasn't a large enclosure or anything. They walk all over each other without problems.

Also out in the field you will often find 2 or 3 under the same rock within inches of each other. At night when blacklighting you will often find a rock outcrop and they will be within close proximity....every foot or so.

Hope this helps
Kevin
Yes it does! Thank you. Do you know if this is applies to other Serradigitus?
I've only found one, S. undescribed "Texas". Thanks. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i've found up to 7 or 8 under a single rock before:D
That is amazing! The most adults I've found together were 2 C. vittatus and 1 P. reddelli, under a 4th long rotting log. I have found a couple of dispersing broods where I found around 30 within about 5 ft. sq., but I don't think that counts. :)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i went collecting near hollister and we were finding at least 2 under every rock we flipped- usually more like 5 and up... little buggers can move when they're warm, i can tell you!

kevin88

Arachnopeon
I would think that all Serradigitus would be communal....with their own species. Give it a try and monitor them. Fast....AMAZINGLY fast for their small size. Plus they are so small you can't "Brush" it off of the rock with your hand or you will squish it. Night collecting is much easier with these guys. Maybe a small paint brush would help to get them to come off of the rocks.

Kevin