Serious Problem. HELP!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I have my T. blondi in a 20 gallon terrarium with a tropical setup. I cleaned it out (new decorations and all) about two months ago. Everything was checked for pests ahead of time.

In the past two weeks, I've noticed a large infestation of small (about 2mm) german cockroaches (the pest kind). There's about 50-100 of them in her cage. I can't clean the cage right now, because she's in pre-molt.

My questions are of what to do in this situation. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this problem? Is there a way to rid the cage of the roaches, short of cleaning everything out? Can the roaches hurt my spider if she molts in the next couple of days?

Please help! I'm very worried about her!

-Bryan

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Clean it out, everything, while she's put into a large roomy ICU, just in case she does decide to molt while you are cleaning it. You know roaches and crickets are related fairly closely if I remember right, and they possibly could be hungry enough to attack her while she's down. Just try to mimic the moistness of the substrate so she'll not be too upset with you. I'm sure they are stressing her running around anyways, whether or not they bite her during the molt... Stress can be even more of a disaster in a molting situation. Take the lesser of the problems, and get cleaning that tank

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
How did you wind up with those in an enclosure? are you SURE at that size that's what they are? Do you use any roaches as feeders? regardless of size, I'd say get the T out of there before pre-molt becomes molting tarantula covered in things eating at soft flesh.

Bill

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can take her out regardless whether she's in pre molt or not. Get rid of them damn roaches man, they'll eat that blondi alive. I would do it ASAP, too.

Later,

Jake

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
For those curious, some photos.

First, her web as she was getting close to molting (before cleaning the cage).

-Bryan