Sericopelma species

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
Does anyone know what the largest species of Sericopelma are? I know sp Santa Catalina can get quite big but does anyone know if Melanotarsum are bigger or if any other species of the genus get bigger?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Best I can find is this link which doesn't help much.

S. sp catalina hasn't been around for a long time. It is a T on my most wanted list.

The S.sp catalina from what people who have it claim is one of the most stunning T's to have. I think they can reach 7 inches dls.

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I do like the look of Sericopelma Sp. Santa Catalina and thought it may be the largest because of certain nicknames for.it I can't repeat on here haha... PANAMA BIG B etc

Beautiful looking species. Certainly on my 'to get' list. I did a poll on what one I should get and should have added this species. I hear they're out a fair bit and good feeders, fast growers etc. Combine this with their beauty and I'm sold really.

Thanks for the link too, will check that out now

The Spider House

Arachnolord
@Charliemum a good thread for you to share your Santa catalina on ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Butterbean83 I have a SA male Santa catalina (about 5 to 5.5 inches atm) hopefully will have some Santa catalina sexy time with Charliemum's female, and I also have a juvenile female Sericopelma sp azuero.
With and without flash for the sp azouro
20230817_113809.jpg 20230817_113747.jpg

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Thanks. I do like the look of Sericopelma Sp. Santa Catalina and thought it may be the largest because of certain nicknames for.it I can't repeat on here haha... PANAMA BIG B etc

Beautiful looking species. Certainly on my 'to get' list. I did a poll on what one I should get and should have added this species. I hear they're out a fair bit and good feeders, fast growers etc. Combine this with their beauty and I'm sold really.
You're welcome but wasn't much to go on.

If you can find a Sericopelma sp santa catalina grab it.

I keep missing them here in the U.S. They pop up once in a while and for me from dealers I will not do business with.

One day though, one day

I think the Sericopelma genus are all stunning T's. The sp santa catalina is the most stunning IMO. It's completely biased though as that's just from my opinion.

Either way you picked an exciting genus.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
20230817_124828.jpg
This is Ms Dani Calafornia my Sericopelma sp santa catalina saf/young adult female, she's about 6.5 inches although I can't be 100% on that she wouldn't give me her last moult it's deep in her labyrinth of tunnels.
20230815_081227.jpg
This is The Black Daliah sericopelma sp Darien af has about 7.5 dls and is looking rather brown in this pic as she desperately needs a moult but still a stunning girl.
20230804_102409.jpg
This is Daphne Sericopelma sp Bouquete af she is about 7.5 inches dls the same as Daliah but has only recently moulted so once Daliah moults she will once again be my largest t.

All 3 sp have been similar in temperament, all a bit skittish all have dug although my santa catalina digs constantly where as my bigger girls have made burrows and gone no further with it, they like a bit of humidity but dont like the wet, they all hit food like a truck, are always out or at least in their burrow entrance, and all are equally beautiful imo. I can't comment on other sp in this genus as I have only kept these and Daliah and Daphne were bought as full grown females, Dani I have had since she was 3 inches but again she was a confirmed female and I am pretty sure each cost around ยฃ80 but worth it imo you can't go wrong with any Sericopelma ๐Ÿ˜Š

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
@Charliemum a good thread for you to share your Santa catalina on ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Butterbean83 I have a SA male Santa catalina (about 5 to 5.5 inches atm) hopefully will have some Santa catalina sexy time with Charliemum's female, and I also have a juvenile female Sericopelma sp azuero.
With and without flash for the sp azouro
View attachment 452978 View attachment 452979
Stunners ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

View attachment 452999
This is Ms Dani Calafornia my Sericopelma sp santa catalina saf/young adult female, she's about 6.5 inches although I can't be 100% on that she wouldn't give me her last moult it's deep in her labyrinth of tunnels.
View attachment 453000
This is The Black Daliah sericopelma sp Darien af has about 7.5 dls and is looking rather brown in this pic as she desperately needs a moult but still a stunning girl.
View attachment 453001
This is Daphne Sericopelma sp Bouquete af she is about 7.5 inches dls the same as Daliah but has only recently moulted so once Daliah moults she will once again be my largest t.

All 3 sp have been similar in temperament, all a bit skittish all have dug although my santa catalina digs constantly where as my bigger girls have made burrows and gone no further with it, they like a bit of humidity but dont like the wet, they all hit food like a truck, are always out or at least in their burrow entrance, and all are equally beautiful imo. I can't comment on other sp in this genus as I have only kept these and Daliah and Daphne were bought as full grown females, Dani I have had since she was 3 inches but again she was a confirmed female and I am pretty sure each cost around ยฃ80 but worth it imo you can't go wrong with any Sericopelma ๐Ÿ˜Š
I've seen them for ยฃ69 for a confirmed female but they're out of stock. Worth it to get a confirmed female. I'm hoping someone has a female juvenile one though as some places do have them sexed at that age. I'm hoping Creature Cabin get them in because they're a little closer than the others so less distance for the T to travel and Dan is very knowledgeable too. I think he is Basin79 on here.

I've seen them for ยฃ69 for a confirmed female at The Spider Shop but they're out of stock. Worth it to get a confirmed female. I'm hoping someone has a female juvenile one though as some places do have them sexed at that age like Spa Spiders. I'm hoping Creature Cabin get them in because they're a little closer than the others so less distance for the T to travel and Dan is very knowledgeable too. I think he is Basin79 on here.
Also those two are ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Last edited by a moderator:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I've seen them for ยฃ69 for a confirmed female but they're out of stock. Worth it to get a confirmed female. I'm hoping someone has a female juvenile one though as some places do have them sexed at that age. I'm hoping Creature Cabin get them in because they're a little closer than the others so less distance for the T to travel and Dan is very knowledgeable too. I think he is Basin79 on here.
I know basin he is on my utube great feeding vids n beautiful t's. I know bug nut has sants catalina slings atm but unsexed as far as I know, I got my santa catalina from creatures from the north and the other 2 came from so many legs I think. N tbh they grow that quickly even if you can get slings you'd have a beefy t on your hands in a year or 2 depending on your temps feeding ect. Worth getting if you can find them for sure my 3 girls quickly took the top spot in my favourite t's I have, if you like pamphobeteus or phormictopus you'll definitely enjoy this genus ๐Ÿ˜Š fingers crossed you can find your female ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž they are excellent spoods I would recommend to any experienced keeper ๐Ÿ˜Š

The Spider House

Arachnolord
I wouldn't worry about distance. Most retailers in UK know what they are doing packaging wise. RMSD 1pm service is always used so they are basically in the packaging the same amount of time regardless of whether its one end of rhe country or not. ๐Ÿ‘

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
I know basin he is on my utube great feeding vids n beautiful t's. I know bug nut has sants catalina slings atm but unsexed as far as I know, I got my santa catalina from creatures from the north and the other 2 came from so many legs I think. N tbh they grow that quickly even if you can get slings you'd have a beefy t on your hands in a year or 2 depending on your temps feeding ect. Worth getting if you can find them for sure my 3 girls quickly took the top spot in my favourite t's I have, if you like pamphobeteus or phormictopus you'll definitely enjoy this genus ๐Ÿ˜Š fingers crossed you can find your female ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž they are excellent spoods I would recommend to any experienced keeper ๐Ÿ˜Š
I'm not an experienced keeper, this will be my first. But I think I can handle it. I can't see why it would be too much more difficult than, say, A Geniculata as long as I don't handle and keep the right temps and humidity :)

There was only T Vagans that is considered a more docile species that I was considering to be honest. But even they can go either way from what I've seen on here and all the research I've did. Do you think a beginner can handle a Sericopelma species? I think I'm able to but from you saying they are good for experienced keepers it makes me wonder whether they need any more extra husbandry specifics I wasn't aware of?

I hope they don't because they're beautiful and I'd like it to have a little character anyway ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Thanks, I hope I manage to acquire one ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I'm not an experienced keeper, this will be my first. But I think I can handle it. I can't see why it would be too much more difficult than, say, A Geniculata as long as I don't handle and keep the right temps and humidity :)

There was only T Vagans that is considered a more docile species that I was considering to be honest. But even they can go either way from what I've seen on here and all the research I've did. Do you think a beginner can handle a Sericopelma species? I think I'm able to but from you saying they are good for experienced keepers it makes me wonder whether they need any more extra husbandry specifics I wasn't aware of?

I hope they don't because they're beautiful and I'd like it to have a little character anyway ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Thanks, I hope I manage to acquire one ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Not husbandry more they are quick and more happy then most to defend themselves when disturbed, my girls are big but still can move faster then my eye can follow so if you are newer to keeping t's they can be alot to handle when rehousing ect. And they make genics look like docile sloths ๐Ÿ˜† I understand that t's are exciting but like most I recommend the ladder step you want to keep large fast defensive sp then start with a genic , gbb, lp, then move into sericopelma, pampho, and phormics. This doesn't suit all keepers some start with emence knowledge and can happily take on any t but most start with basic knowledge and learn on the job as it were, not knowing you I can't recommend anything apart from work your way up the ladder like all things in life start small aim big ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
There was only T Vagans that is considered a more docile species that I was considering to be honest. But even they can go either way from what I've seen on here and all the research I've did.
Regardless of species, any tarantula can go either way. I would however suggest starting out with a vagans over a Sericopelma. If you make a mistake with a vagans the fallout is potentially milder than with a Sericopelma. Be it husbandry or bolting. Unless you've seen a T teleport in person, nothing can prepare you for it.

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
Not husbandry more they are quick and more happy then most to defend themselves when disturbed, my girls are big but still can move faster then my eye can follow so if you are newer to keeping t's they can be alot to handle when rehousing ect. And they make genics look like docile sloths ๐Ÿ˜† I understand that t's are exciting but like most I recommend the ladder step you want to keep large fast defensive sp then start with a genic , gbb, lp, then move into sericopelma, pampho, and phormics. This doesn't suit all keepers some start with emence knowledge and can happily take on any t but most start with basic knowledge and learn on the job as it were, not knowing you I can't recommend anything apart from work your way up the ladder like all things in life start small aim big ๐Ÿ˜‰
I saw a video of an old world absolutely ripping around the enclosure and couldn't believe the speed of them. I intend to use long forceps for most things lol, gonna get a few types of catch cups sorted and paintbrush. Yeah I might start with A Geniculata or T Vagans then just to get used to them. Only problem is my missus will only allow me one haha as it will take getting used to for her but hopefully I can get her to realise there's nothing to worry about so more incentive to be extra careful as she may allow me to get a more intermediate one if everything goes smoothly as it definitely should.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I saw a video of an old world absolutely ripping around the enclosure and couldn't believe the speed of them. I intend to use long forceps for most things lol, gonna get a few types of catch cups sorted and paintbrush. Yeah I might start with A Geniculata or T Vagans then just to get used to them. Only problem is my missus will only allow me one haha as it will take getting used to for her but hopefully I can get her to realise there's nothing to worry about so more incentive to be extra careful as she may allow me to get a more intermediate one if everything goes smoothly as it definitely should.
I think someone already suggested this but here it goes sorry if it's a repeat.

Start with a sling. That way your partner will get used to it over time and grow with it.

Sericopelma and Tliltocatl genus that you're looking at are not fast growers but not glacier slow either.

Get at least a .5 inch sling and raise it. If you want the growth a little longer go down to a 1/4 of an inch. I don't recommend 1/8 it can be nerve racking. Even 1/4 can be stressful just starting out as your first T but not impossible.

This way your partner will have time to grow and accept it. If you buy something like 3 inches to start it might be frightening.

I read this somewhere from a member replying.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Best I can find is this link which doesn't help much.

S. sp catalina hasn't been around for a long time. It is a T on my most wanted list.

The S.sp catalina from what people who have it claim is one of the most stunning T's to have. I think they can reach 7 inches dls.

Wow those get big I didnโ€™t know anything about this genus very informative!! :D

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
I think someone already suggested this but here it goes sorry if it's a repeat.

Start with a sling. That way your partner will get used to it over time and grow with it.

Sericopelma and Tliltocatl genus that you're looking at are not fast growers but not glacier slow either.

Get at least a .5 inch sling and raise it. If you want the growth a little longer go down to a 1/4 of an inch. I don't recommend 1/8 it can be nerve racking. Even 1/4 can be stressful just starting out as your first T but not impossible.

This way your partner will have time to grow and accept it. If you buy something like 3 inches to start it might be frightening.

I read this somewhere from a member replying.
I just don't want to take the chance of ending up with a male that's the only problem I suppose I could do that with a second T though that's not a bad idea.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I just don't want to take the chance of ending up with a male that's the only problem I suppose I could do that with a second T though that's not a bad idea.
tough when youโ€™re limited to one t, or just a few whatever your number is??. Just keep getting them until you get a female or buy one . Iโ€™m limited also until I move out Iโ€™m not able to buy very small slings and only a few regular sized Ts . Iโ€™m probably stuck at 14 for a while .

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Sounds like a plan to me ๐Ÿ‘

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
@Charliemum I've just came across this post from last year when I saw them, this is before I started keeping really and yeah they're still on my list. Love those photos of them.