seperation

mattyj

Arachnopeon
hey guys how do u seperate 2nd instar scorpions from their mother and how long does it take for them to darken?

btw i have 1 scorpling that has half molted and the back 2 legs on the left hand side look twisted and its having diffeculty walking ...could this be a problem in te long run?:confused:

Last edited:

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Firstly i would not forcably remove slings from their mother unless they are being eaten or something along those lines, they will come of when they are ready, rmoveing them early can create problems you cant fix. Also as for the poor guy with a maulting problem, has the shell completly come off or is he stuck half half? if he is stuck you may want to raise the humidity drematicaly so it nice and wet in there (assuming your scorps are tropical) see if that works, if not yo may have to try and ease it out with forceps, very carfully.
Some one may be able to help me out on this one, bu i think im right in saying that unlike their couisons in the arachnid family scorpions do not regenerate damage when they mault, so be carfull. But it is important that you get the shell of as the gap between the old and new just serves as a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus.

mattyj

Arachnopeon
thanx for the help..but i jst had a short look and mum was eating her .. poor thing

mattyj

Arachnopeon
is it normal for the mother scorpion not to eat for a long period of time..she hasnt eaten since the birth of her young

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually give them crippled cricket or I'd crush the head and leave it near mom. What kind of scorpion do you have?

mattyj

Arachnopeon
urodacus manicatus..from australia n also i havnt seen any of the babies out of there hide ever

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it normal for the mother scorpion not to eat for a long period of time..she hasnt eaten since the birth of her young
That's common...the mother will usually readily accept food as usual once the young leave her back... Listen to what quiz said about removing them..but if it comes time, you could try using a spoon.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so basically all the babies get off already from their mums back?

mattyj

Arachnopeon
yah they are..theyare a month old now n ive jst seperated 1..is this still too soon