Sending overseas?

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If some nutter wanted to send some T.'s overseas :rolleyes: you'll think they survive?
I personally dont think they would survive lets say a trip from Usa to sweden..?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well packaged, with heat, and at least initial moisture, I think they would. At least if it took less than 14 days and no temperatural extremes assaulted the package, and the spider was not a sling.

I have no experience though, this is just what I think.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think there are great chances that it'd survive. 14 days is TOO long. The arachnocelendar took 4-5 says to come and it wasnt on a special-delivery thing.... Some animals took 3 days to come from Honk-Kong .... mail isnt so slow anymore.

The thing is that It'd be too expensive for the T to come quickly....

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:)

4-5 days from hong kong? well if its only 4-5 five days i think that it would survive..

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Four to five days is quit long, I have known keepers in th Uk to have recieved their T's within three days from Hong Kong.....:D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So can T's be mailed from the US to Canada? Or from Hong Kong to Canada? What are the laws governing this?

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mail isnt so slow anymore.
You are not talking about the norwegian postal service then! I ordered 2 P. formosa and 7 H. sp. aureopilosum from Søren(phormingochilus). Not sure when Søren sent them from Denmark, but I know they arrived in Norway february 20. When I came home from work today they had arrived. To my surprise, only the large formosa was dead. The others are doing great.

Robert

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by sheri
So can T's be mailed from the US to Canada? Or from Hong Kong to Canada? What are the laws governing this?
It is not legal for the US guy to ship to Canada (we're supposed to get a fish & game inspection before shipping), but I don't believe that Canada itself has any restrictions (not exactly much chance of wild populations of anything establishing themselves up there after all).

For the US folks, similar situation on the receiving - it is not legal to have things shipped to us from outside the country without the appropriate inspection (and fee). OTOH, for small shipments, you're rolling the dice - Customs may very well intercept your package and destroy the critters as evidence but most will pass right on through. All a question of whether you believe in blind obedience to the law or not and can afford to risk the cost of the shipment to get some nice deals.

I would not, however, ever try to get a CITES species imported to you illegally no matter how sweet the deal. For that you will be prosecuted, not just sent a form letter explaining that your package was seized.

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's still kind of cold in Sweden :8o
but whithin a month or so I guess it would be pretty ok, but might live on the edge... better to wait a lite while..
Peace

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by coco
If some nutter wanted to send some T.'s overseas :rolleyes: you'll think they survive?
I personally dont think they would survive lets say a trip from Usa to sweden..?
Yes they will survive, I know. Its all about how well you pack them.

/Lelle

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by brgn
You are not talking about the norwegian postal service then! I ordered 2 P. formosa and 7 H. sp. aureopilosum from Søren(phormingochilus). Not sure when Søren sent them from Denmark, but I know they arrived in Norway february 20. When I came home from work today they had arrived. To my surprise, only the large formosa was dead. The others are doing great.

Robert
I'm SO happy to hear that, Robert!!!!! =D =D =D

I really thought they would be dead by now. There's an average temperature of about 4 below 0 degrees Celsius in that part of Norway in February, so it's truly a miracle!!!!

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, spiderlings can last 10 days for sure in summer months if well packaged. I know:D

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:d

how long would it take for aparcel from usa to sweden?

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kind of off track here but something about customs. My wife is from Poland and in the last 2.5 years we had about 20 parcels sent to us from Poland and only one had any damage to it and that was in Poland. Not a single package was checked physically checked by customs(as in opend) but who knows if they were x-rayed. Which doesn't make sense since all but one was sent post-9/11. Kinda makes you wonder were all the Homeland Security tax money is going.

Wayne H

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe

i wonder how i wonder why .... to big politician dinners and parties maybe ? :D
hmm poland is further away than sweden so then it should be ok to have a package sent from us to me then :D

wayneo said:
Kind of off track here but something about customs. My wife is from Poland and in the last 2.5 years we had about 20 parcels sent to us from Poland and only one had any damage to it and that was in Poland. Not a single package was checked physically checked by customs(as in opend) but who knows if they were x-rayed. Which doesn't make sense since all but one was sent post-9/11. Kinda makes you wonder were all the Homeland Security tax money is going.

Wayne H

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
coco said:
hmm poland is further away than sweden so then it should be ok to have a package sent from us to me then :D
I should mention these Parcels did not contain live animals(unless you count germs or mites that may be living on the items). These were parcels sent her parents to us though they usually sent them express which costs alot enough in Polish currency(zloties). Only the heaviest packages were sent slower and they took no more then 14 days. If they are sent express it shouldn't take longer then 3 to 5 days for delivery.

Wayne H

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh

oh well 3-5 days express :) sounds expensive? how much in polish money?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wayneo said:

Wayne H
I am not sure if it is the same or not-but I used to work airport customs, and all packages were first DOG sniffed, then Xray'd. The only time we had a package opened was if it didn't pass the dog or the XRAY.

A word of advice to whoever is reading this: putting those little locks on your suitcases is a big red flag. So is ducttape-packing tape, etc to keep it closed. I learned how to open the zippers of a bag/suitcase with an inkpen on those bags that have locks-after all, "why lock it unless you are trying to hide something?" was a customs theory...

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice tips definately worht a though :D

rapunzel said:
I am not sure if it is the same or not-but I used to work airport customs, and all packages were first DOG sniffed, then Xray'd. The only time we had a package opened was if it didn't pass the dog or the XRAY.

A word of advice to whoever is reading this: putting those little locks on your suitcases is a big red flag. So is ducttape-packing tape, etc to keep it closed. I learned how to open the zippers of a bag/suitcase with an inkpen on those bags that have locks-after all, "why lock it unless you are trying to hide something?" was a customs theory...